iTunes Match

I am using the Powerpack but I am unable to play songs within iTunes Match.

Is there any limitation that only allows to play songs which are on the hard drive ?

Thanks

Alfred uses the iTunes XML file to identify what music is available to play. I'm not personally using iTunes Match so I'm unable to check this, but I'll ask David to take a look at this thread as I think he uses Match.

In the meantime, you can try picking a song that you only have on iTunes Match, then opening your iTunes XML file (which you can locate by launching iTunes and finding out the path in the preferences) and manually seeing whether the song is listed there.

If it is, you may simply need to refresh Alfred's cache of the XML by popping up your Alfred iTunes Mini Player and pressing Cmd + R. :)

Cheers,

Vero

I am using the Powerpack but I am unable to play songs within iTunes Match.

Is there any limitation that only allows to play songs which are on the hard drive ?

Thanks

Alfred uses the iTunes XML file to identify what music is available to play. I'm not personally using iTunes Match so I'm unable to check this, but I'll ask David to take a look at this thread as I think he uses Match.

In the meantime, you can try picking a song that you only have on iTunes Match, then opening your iTunes XML file (which you can locate by launching iTunes and finding out the path in the preferences) and manually seeing whether the song is listed there.

If it is, you may simply need to refresh Alfred's cache of the XML by popping up your Alfred iTunes Mini Player and pressing Cmd + R. :)

Cheers,

Vero

I don't use Match anymore either however, unless something has changed within a recent iTunes update, this should work.  I made adjustments to the iTunes script a while back to work with iTunes Match and I believe it worked with iTunes Radio as well. I would suggest trying Vero's recommendation of refreshing Alfred's cache.

It's working perfectly for me with iTunes Match songs that aren't on the local machine. That's with the lastest versions of Yosemite, iTunes and Alfred.

The tracks are in my "iTunes Library.xml" file in ~/Music/iTunes.

Thanks Dean, that's useful! I'll await mau's reply to see whether refreshing the iTunes cache took care of the issue :)

I had reason to turn on iTunes Match on my MacBook and it in fact doesn't work properly.

It's not that iTunes Match files don't work, it's that Alfred appears to be simply ignoring updates to the "iTunes Library.xml" file and not reloading it when it should. I've tried adding and removing files in iTunes on both machines. The changes propagate rapidly and correctly between them (and their "iTunes Library.xml" files), but at no point does Alfred actually reload the library files, even though they've changed.

The only way to get Alfred to notice the changes was to delete the "iTunes.alfdb" file from Alfred's cache directory. When I deleted it, the "iTunes.alfdb" file hadn't been updated since 9th May, so Alfred has presumably been ignoring changes for the last 3 weeks.

I tried adding a few new tracks after Alfred had recreated its "iTunes.alfdb" cache, and it's still ignoring any updates to "iTunes Library.xml", even after a restart (of Alfred).

Edited by deanishe

I had reason to turn on iTunes Match on my MacBook and it in fact doesn't work properly.

It's not that iTunes Match files don't work, it's that Alfred appears to be simply ignoring updates to the "iTunes Library.xml" file and not reloading it when it should. I've tried adding and removing files in iTunes on both machines. The changes propagate rapidly and correctly between them (and their "iTunes Library.xml" files), but at no point does Alfred actually reload the library files, even though they've changed.

The only way to get Alfred to notice the changes was to delete the "iTunes.alfdb" file from Alfred's cache directory. When I deleted it, the "iTunes.alfdb" file hadn't been updated since 9th May, so Alfred has presumably been ignoring changes for the last 3 weeks.

I tried adding a few new tracks after Alfred had recreated its "iTunes.alfdb" cache, and it's still ignoring any updates to "iTunes Library.xml", even after a restart (of Alfred).

Keep in mind Alfred doesn't automatically reload the iTunes XML every time you launch; It does so on Alfred version updates and when you launch the Mini Player and press Cmd + R. Next time you add music to iTunes, try just doing Cmd + R in the Mini Player to get Alfred to reload your music collection :)

Ah, that's how it works! I was typing "reload" and "refresh" and the like (typing commands is how the player otherwise works).

Seeing as there is no such command, I assumed Alfred took care of that automatically, reloading the file when it changes. That seemed to be how it worked (I rarely use the mini player, so it often reloads the database when I do open it, which takes several seconds, which is why I rarely use it…)

Everything seems to be working as intended now I'm holding the right end of the stick :)

Marvellous. I'll use it a lot more now that I know it's not as likely to reload on me as I thought it was.