Try:

on recurseMenu(menustuff)
	tell application "System Events"
		return menus of menustuff
	end tell
end recurseMenu

Also have a look at this code snippet from GitHub/FreeKalter

I dont' know why its written that way with a fixed depth, but the comment says "This script uses UI element scripting to return a list of every menuitem of every menu for every application currently running."

Edited by Benzi

Also if you have

on recurseMenu(menustuff)
		set menuItems to {}
		repeat with menu_level1 in every menu of menustuff
			set level2menus to (name of every menu item of menu_level1 whose name is not missing value)
			set menuItems to menuItems & (name of menu_level1) & {level2menus}
		end repeat
	end tell
end recurseMenu

It will give you output as:

{  

"Level 1 Menu A" , { "A subitem 1", "A subitem 2", "A subitem 3" } ,  

"Level 2 Menu B",  { "B subitem 1", "B subitem 2"}

....and so on

}

Some code wrangling needed to get it truly recursive. (No idea how fast this will be too...) 

Edited by Benzi

Hey guys, 

I haven't looked into it but here's what happened to this workflow for me recently:

On VLC, I used to type "menu subtitles" to get to Video > Subtitles Track > Disable but it recently stopped working. Actually even "menu disable" doesn't work to get it either... It's weird because I still get Video > Subtitles Track > Open File... 

Any idea?

Hey guys, 

I haven't looked into it but here's what happened to this workflow for me recently:

On VLC, I used to type "menu subtitles" to get to Video > Subtitles Track > Disable but it recently stopped working. Actually even "menu disable" doesn't work to get it either... It's weird because I still get Video > Subtitles Track > Open File... 

Any idea?

Hi Florian,

This happens because VLC changes its menu contents based on context. When a file is not open, the Video > Subtitles Track menu is disabled. But, it has the Open File... sub menu item internally (though not accessible from the UI physically). Now if you open a video file that has subtitles that VLC can load, the Disable option gets added to Video > Subtitles Track dynamically.

The way the original workflow works is that it caches the contents of the menu items only once. So, if you had VLC open at the time the sub menu items were not present, the menu cache will not have those (and the menu cache is used to search for appropriate commands).

Since this depends entirely on the state of the application and when exactly the cache gets created, outcome will be different for different users. (I faced similar issues in Chrome, where a menu item renames from Enter Presentation Mode to Exit Presentation Mode).

In short, you need to tell the workflow to re-cache the menu entries. The original workflow does not have that option, but I modified it to include an option "m :refresh" to recreate the cache on demand.

You can either download my modified version or you can go to you /tmp folder and delete the cache manually, and then try searching for Disable when VLC has that menu item in place (when using the original version).

Hope this helps.

(PS this problem is more general, and I see this in many other apps apart from VLC and Chrome...)

This is one of those plugins with the power to change the way you use your mac, making you more productive in the process. I loved that in Quicksilver and i got really excited when I saw this plugin for Alfred.

But it's not quite usable still, even with Benzi's version the first load is really slow and caching doesn't seem to persist.

Do you guys think it will be possible to improve this in the future?

This is one of those plugins with the power to change the way you use your mac, making you more productive in the process. I loved that in Quicksilver and i got really excited when I saw this plugin for Alfred.

But it's not quite usable still, even with Benzi's version the first load is really slow and caching doesn't seem to persist.

Probably, but it's going to require Objective-C coding. I've played around with it, but haven't gotten as far as I need to. 

Yes, Objective-C can search the menu bar is much faster than AppleScript. Quicksilver's menu bar search plugin does this; unfortunately, it is tied to Quicksilver's feedback architecture. I've been tinkering with the Quicksilver plugin's source code, but I haven't quite wrapped my head around Objective-C :(

Hey guys,

I know that it feels nice to do everything possible right inside Alfred, but sometimes you have much better way.

In your case you should just add a shortcut to the "Show Help Menu" action, you will then just have to type what you want and hit enter.

Much faster and reliable than any AppleScript plugin.

What it looks like : http://dl.dropbox.com/u/574568/Screenshots/y5Q3.png

From my experience, the Help menu doesn't "learn" which menu items you use the most, unlike Alfred. Just another reason I'd like to see this done in Alfred.

Edited by Clinton Strong
  • 2 weeks later...

Benzi, sorry to badger, but is there a way for me to modify this to *only* show options from the Services menu? I think that this could potentially be quite useful to people (and it's one of the Launchbar features that Alfred lacks).

No worries if you're too busy, but if you point me in the right direction I can *try* to make this work myself.

Benzi, sorry to badger, but is there a way for me to modify this to *only* show options from the Services menu? I think that this could potentially be quite useful to people (and it's one of the Launchbar features that Alfred lacks).

No worries if you're too busy, but if you point me in the right direction I can *try* to make this work myself.

Hi, something to start with: from what I could figure out, enumerate.scpt generates the menu content list which the Ruby script then parses out and generates a menu structure. If you modify enumerate.scpt to just output the menu contents of the Services menu, it should technically work...

Below is a modified version that just outputs the Services menu (not very strong with AppleScript, there might be a better way to do this....)

on run argv
        set _app to item 1 of (every process whose frontmost is true)
        set _app_name to name of _app
        tell _app
            set menuExists to menu bar 1 exists
            if (menuExists) then tell menu bar 1
                set _services_item to item 1 of (every menu item of (item 1 of (every menu of item 1 of (item 2 of (every menu bar item)))) whose title is "Services")
                set _services_stuff to entire contents of _services_item
                try
                    || of _services_stuff -- Deliberate error.
                on error stuff -- Get the error message
                end try

return stuff
            end tell
        end tell
    end tell
end run

Edited by Benzi
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest urtlnomis

Hi guys, I have a bit of experience with AppleScript and I wanna help. First question, do we have a proper github repo? Seem like everybody is just posting stuff from their dropbox. @ctwise and @Benzi (I guess..)?

• 9 months later...
  • 5 years later...