Generate secure random passwords from Alfred. Uses /dev/urandom as source of entropy.

demo.gif 

Features

• Passwords can be generated based on strength or length.
  • Offers multiple generators, including based on real words and pronounceable pseudo-words generated with Markov chains.
  • Shows the strength of each generated password.
  • Strictly offline — it's safer not to outsource your security to a webservice.

Download & Installation

Get the workflow from the GitHub releases page or Packal.

Basic Usage

• pwgen [<strength>] — Generate passwords of the specified strength. Strength can be either a number (1 or above) or a specific amount of entropy in bits, e.g. 128b. The default is 3, which corresponds to 96 bits of entropy.
  • pwlen [<length>] — Generate passwords of the specified length. Default is 20. Strength differs depending on the generator (e.g. for 20 characters, strength can vary between 50 and >100 bits of entropy).
  • pwconf [<query>] — Alter the default strength/length and activate/deactivate different generators.

Password Generators

Several different password generators are included by default, including:

• ASCII letters, digits and punctuation
  • ASCII letters and digits
  • ASCII letters and digits, excluding easily-confused letters and numbers
  • Digits only
  • Pronounceable, randomly-generated gibberish words
  • Dictionary words

Password Strength

Please see the GitHub README for detailed information on the strength of the generated passwords and which settings you should (or shouldn't) use.

The default strength of 3 is sufficient for most purposes (~6.5 years to guess the password on 2015 dedicated password-cracking hardware). Use 4 for very important stuff.

Edited by deanishe
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, mrchow19910319 said:

Why does it show password that has 11 characters when I typed in pwlen 10?? 

Because it's not reasonably possible to keep re-running the workflow until it produces a random password of precisely the right length.

Edited by deanishe
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I noticed that there is an update to the workflow. However, when trying to update with the built-in workflow update option it seems to get stuck (the attached image is just showed indefinitely) and the update is not downloaded/installed. I'm using Alfred 3.3.2 on macOS 10.12.5. Pasting the last part of the debug report:

12:25:36 update.py:281 DEBUG    Release `v1.0` : https://github.com/deanishe/alfred-pwgen/releases/download/v1.0/Password_Generator-1.0.alfredworkflow
12:25:36 update.py:352 INFO     11 releases for deanishe/alfred-pwgen
12:25:36 update.py:363 DEBUG    Latest : Version('2.1.1') Installed : Version('2.1.0')
12:25:36 workflow.py:1894 DEBUG    Cached data saved at : /Users/candstef/Library/Caches/com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred-3/Workflow Data/net.deanishe.alfred-pwgen/__workflow_update_status.cpickle
12:25:36 workflow.py:2541 DEBUG    Downloading update ...
12:25:36 background.py:178 DEBUG    Command arguments cached to `/Users/candstef/Library/Caches/com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred-3/Workflow Data/net.deanishe.alfred-pwgen/__workflow_update_install.argcache`
12:25:36 background.py:182 DEBUG    Calling [u'/usr/bin/python', '/Users/candstef/Library/Application Support/Alfred 3/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/user.workflow.B49B1006-ED08-4990-84A3-E00E44968CBF/workflow/background.pyc', u'__workflow_update_install'] ...
12:25:36 workflow.py:2221 DEBUG    Workflow version : 2.1.0
12:25:36 background.py:187 DEBUG    Executing task `__workflow_update_install` in background...
12:25:36 workflow.py:1384 DEBUG    Downloading and installing update ...
12:25:36 workflow.py:2263 DEBUG    Workflow finished in 0.625 seconds.

20170614_12-06-32_screenshot_update_Password_workflow.png

Edited by cands

Thanks that fixed it! I have actually used Fixum before so I thought that this was complete (and I have not been bothered by high CPU usage from Python workflows lately), nevertheless Fixum now updated 52 workflows and the issue seems to be solved.

I changed the behaviour of Fixum from only updating workflows affected by the Sierra bug to updating all workflows with a version of Alfred-Workflow older than its own. As I also released a new version of the library, it will probably have updated all your AW-based workflows.

That explains it, thanks for the clarification. I came to think of one security-related question - the workflow currently copies the password to the Alfred Clipboard where it can be available for quite some time depending on the settings - would it be possible to copy it in a more secure (transient) way similar to 1Password? I usually remember to delete it manually once I've used it, but I tend to not always remember.

That's an Alfred bug, tbh. 

The workflow marks the copied password as concealed data, so Alfred should NOT record them.

I've tested it with other clipboard history managers, and they respect the concealed marker. 

Edited by deanishe
teh grammer
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...
8 hours ago, andrei_says said:

This no longer works on MacOS Monterey as Apple removed python 2 and replaced it with python 3. 

Could you please look into the related github issue and respond? It would be useful to know your plans for this - even if you are unable to port to Python 3. This is a free open source project and we are all busy so no pressure.

https://github.com/deanishe/alfred-pwgen/issues/12

The new version kindly provided by @vitor here https://www.alfredforum.com/topic/17941-making-python-2-workflows-work-on-macos-monterey-123-and-above/ works great on my machine with Monterey macOS 12.3.1 - I recommend to try that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...