Recent Items 4.3 beta 2 for Alfred 4: Finder Recent Items

ThisThis is great--thank you. Any chance you'd consider adding Path Finder support (i.e., so that folders opened in Path Finder will appear in the recent list)?

If I find a way I’ll surely add it. The workflow searches for a generic last used attribute that I thought would include applications like Path Finder.

• 1 month later...

This is a wonderful workflow.  Thanks for your effort.  I would like to modify which file types are used for text files.  In particular I write a lot of LaTeX and therefore would like .tex files listed under a text files search.  This would allow me to separate them nicely from the documents search which would give me the output pdf's.

Thanks for your help

This is a wonderful workflow.  Thanks for your effort.  I would like to modify which file types are used for text files.  In particular I write a lot of LaTeX and therefore would like .tex files listed under a text files search.  This would allow me to separate them nicely from the documents search which would give me the output pdf's.

Thanks for your help

Can you send me a .tex file? Email: carlos.sz at gmail dot com

I’d like to make some tests. Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, this seems like a great idea.  But it has a showstopper bug in it which brought Alfred to a standstill and was EXTREMELY difficult to force quit, since the alfred window kept flashing on and off and overriding all keystrokes and gestures.

I just installed it and went to test it out.  I typed "rec", then went to "recent folders" and pressed right arrow.  Nothing happened (I have right arrow set to activate file actions menu, but not other actions) so I pressed enter.  The alfred window results showed me, "No recent folders."  I then pressed backspace to get to the original menu and went to "Just now" and pressed enter.  I saw the most recent apps I'd opened.  (Very nice, by the way.)  Then I pressed backspace and all hell broke loose.  The window started flashing between showing me "rec > Just now" and "rec > folders".  It just kept flashing back and forth about four times a second.  I could no longer ⌘-Tab; I couldn't even switch apps to the activity monitor by clicking it in my dock; I was almost screwed.  By a stroke of luck I had had Alfred Preferences open already and I managed (by clicking repeatedly like a madman) to click it on the dock, get to the "general" tab and click "quit Alfred".

Kind of scary for me, since I've never had ANY other app or workflow do that...

This workflow looks really well thought out, and I really would like to use it, so please fix this bug!  And then I'll reinstall it.  :)

Okay, this seems like a great idea.  But it has a showstopper bug in it which brought Alfred to a standstill and was EXTREMELY difficult to force quit, since the alfred window kept flashing on and off and overriding all keystrokes and gestures.

I just installed it and went to test it out.  I typed "rec", then went to "recent folders" and pressed right arrow.  Nothing happened (I have right arrow set to activate file actions menu, but not other actions) so I pressed enter.  The alfred window results showed me, "No recent folders."  I then pressed backspace to get to the original menu and went to "Just now" and pressed enter.  I saw the most recent apps I'd opened.  (Very nice, by the way.)  Then I pressed backspace and all hell broke loose.  The window started flashing between showing me "rec > Just now" and "rec > folders".  It just kept flashing back and forth about four times a second.  I could no longer ⌘-Tab; I couldn't even switch apps to the activity monitor by clicking it in my dock; I was almost screwed.  By a stroke of luck I had had Alfred Preferences open already and I managed (by clicking repeatedly like a madman) to click it on the dock, get to the "general" tab and click "quit Alfred".

This workflow looks really well thought out, and I really would like to use it, so please fix this bug!  And then I'll reinstall it.   :)

I couldn’t reproduce the issue and I’m sorry to hear about it.

Anyway, I’ll try to remove the Alfred call that could lead to what you have described.

I’ll make some tests next week or so and let you know.

Thank you for your feedback!

• 2 weeks later...

Loving the 'Interacting with Open/Save dialogs - Part I' thing. Is it possible to make just this part into an Alfred action? 

For example, when at TextEdit's Open/Save dialog I find a folder in Alfred (not a recently used one), hit tab and select an action to send that folder location to TextEdit (or to any other app).

Also, a Recent Images section would come in very handy in this workflow.

Edited by Jono

Loving the 'Interacting with Open/Save dialogs - Part I' thing. Is it possible to make just this part into an Alfred action? 

For example, when at TextEdit's Open/Save dialog I find a folder in Alfred (not a recently used one), hit tab and select an action to send that folder location to TextEdit (or to any other app).

Also, a Recent Images section would come in very handy in this workflow.

I’ll see what I can do. Thank you for your feedback.

On 7/6/2013 at 1:49 AM, Wildcard said:

This workflow looks really well thought out, and I really would like to use it, so please fix this bug!  And then I'll reinstall it.   :)

Here is a version, still in progress, that removes the Alfred call that could lead to the issue.

There is also a bug fix regarding Favorites reported by @xilopaint (thanks).

This is a beta because I have updated all the code to reflect Alfred AppleScript improvements and thus I need to test every single feature before a final version:

Download 3.3 beta here

Edited by deanishe
Replace real name

Thanks!  Unfortunately it looks like backspace can no longer be used at all to navigate upwards.  (Although I guess that makes it pretty clear that it won't cause the convulsion Alfred had before! :)  Perhaps a "back" menu item could be implemented?  I see in the movies lookup workflow (which you credit with the drill down menu) there is a "back" option when you view the actors of a movie.

I like this "recent items" workflow very much and I'll be using it a lot, even before you fix the backspace navigation!  Thanks!  :)

Thanks!  Unfortunately it looks like backspace can no longer be used at all to navigate upwards.  (Although I guess that makes it pretty clear that it won't cause the convulsion Alfred had before! :)  Perhaps a "back" menu item could be implemented?  I see in the movies lookup workflow (which you credit with the drill down menu) there is a "back" option when you view the actors of a movie.

I like this "recent items" workflow very much and I'll be using it a lot, even before you fix the backspace navigation!  Thanks!  :)

The back should work. Try a gentle single key pressing. I'll make more tests next week. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Hey Carlos, did you get a tex file to test the workflow with? I'd be happy to send one along if not.

I got a file. I made some tests. I'm not sure if version 3.3 was already tweaked. Can you try it please?

I'm with my ipad but later tomorrow I can check the workflow. Anyway, you can send me a file so I can make more tests. Thank you.

It's a great workflow, thank you. But it seems that "Add to Favorite" only works for items with path in English, items with other language will not show in the fav list.

It should work properly in version 3.3 beta of the workflow. The download link is a few posts above.

• 4 months later...

This is outstanding. Truly great work!

I'm curious as to how I can go about amending the file types that are pulled into the results so that I can see things like Exce, Powerpoint, etc. I know another user had this same request. Would you mind sharing the method to do this?

Thanks so much.

I'm curious as to how I can go about amending the file types that are pulled into the results so that I can see things like Exce, Powerpoint, etc. I know another user had this same request. Would you mind sharing the method to do this?

Thanks so much.

So Office files are not being listed under “Documents”?

Can you send me one file of each Office application so I can make some tests?

Thank you.

This is absolutely marvellous!

I've had a poke around in the code to make file extensions visible in the results, and noticed something:

You're asking mdfind to search ~/Library/Application Support/Alfred 2/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/. Spotlight doesn't index files inside bundles, such as Alfred.alfredpreferences.

Also, that's the wrong directory for folks who sync their workflows via Dropbox (it's empty on my machine).

If you ever need to find the workflows directory, you should use the parent directory of the current working directory.

This is absolutely marvellous!

I've had a poke around in the code to make file extensions visible in the results, and noticed something:

You're asking mdfind to search ~/Library/Application Support/Alfred 2/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/. Spotlight doesn't index files inside bundles, such as Alfred.alfredpreferences.

Also, that's the wrong directory for folks who sync their workflows via Dropbox (it's empty on my machine).

If you ever need to find the workflows directory, you should use the parent directory of the current working directory.

I code the workflow part for me so I could easily access my recent AppleScripts. It was working back then and I’m not sure when it stopped indexing.

Anyway, this workflow kind of needs an update and I will do it when I have a free time.

Thank you. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Awesome workflow. What about adding the Downloads folder as a default?

I like the idea. I’ll add it when I update the workflow.

I'm going to echo gsmth00 and ask about custom categories. I would like to see PDFs as its own category (I know this is in documents, but I'd rather search PDFs and other types of documents separately). Is this a relatively easy thing to modify?

It is not simple to add this level of customization but I’ll think about it and if I find a way I’ll let you know.

Thank you for your feedback.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much.

Awesome workflow. What about adding the Downloads folder as a default?

I'm going to echo gsmth00 and ask about custom categories. I would like to see PDFs as its own category (I know this is in documents, but I'd rather search PDFs and other types of documents separately). Is this a relatively easy thing to modify?

Recent Downloads (from User Downloads folder) and up to two custom categories are coming in the next version:

recitemsprev.png

I should be ready in a couple of days.

Thank you all for the feedback!