Notes with New Text File with Tag 4.0 (nvALT, direct paste, new file in Finder and more)

I don't use .txt with my files, I use .md instead. I scanned the .scpt files looking for .txt to change to .md and while I was able to get my Journal to write to Journal.md instead of Journal.txt, the workflow still only finds .txt files and write them as well. I used the find command AppleScript Editor but had no luck. Can you tell me where I might find the part of the script that I could change to make the workflow work with .md files instead? 

Awesome workflow! Great job and thank you!

I don't use .txt with my files, I use .md instead. I scanned the .scpt files looking for .txt to change to .md and while I was able to get my Journal to write to Journal.md instead of Journal.txt, the workflow still only finds .txt files and write them as well. I used the find command AppleScript Editor but had no luck. Can you tell me where I might find the part of the script that I could change to make the workflow work with .md files instead? 

Awesome workflow! Great job and thank you!

Thank you.

Can you please test this version including searching? It will ask your for what extension to use: .md or .txt

.md works great for me. Tried every option one time and didn't have a problem on 10.8.3... will do further testing but it looks good. I use my nvALT folder for your workflow, in there I keep .md, .txt, and .ft files. Is there anyway for search/news to look in all those files? they are all just plain text. md, mmd, and ft are just plain text with markdown formatting... Would be cool but not totally necessary as setting up a search workflow for the nvALT folder is very easy and you can add all those file types.

I personally have no use for anything but .txt in terms of NEWF but maybe others would find the ability to define the extension of say a new text file useful... for instance creating a new text file would default to .txt but if an extension is added might be useful to others. Might be hard though ask some people like to use "." with filename separations so saying anything after a . is the extension... you could do last instance of "." is the extension if written and added holding a modifier?

I have no need as I said, but maybe others would. Best to wait and see what others need first though before adding superfluous features. ;)

.md works great for me. Tried every option one time and didn't have a problem on 10.8.3... will do further testing but it looks good. I use my nvALT folder for your workflow, in there I keep .md, .txt, and .ft files. Is there anyway for search/news to look in all those files? they are all just plain text. md, mmd, and ft are just plain text with markdown formatting... Would be cool but not totally necessary as setting up a search workflow for the nvALT folder is very easy and you can add all those file types.

I personally have no use for anything but .txt in terms of NEWF but maybe others would find the ability to define the extension of say a new text file useful... for instance creating a new text file would default to .txt but if an extension is added might be useful to others. Might be hard though ask some people like to use "." with filename separations so saying anything after a . is the extension... you could do last instance of "." is the extension if written and added holding a modifier?

I have no need as I said, but maybe others would. Best to wait and see what others need first though before adding superfluous features. ;)

Regarding the searching: I was thinking exactly the same. :)

By the way, I never heard about .ft text files. I’ll make one and check its properties.

They are for FoldingText, the markdown editor by hogbaysoftware.com, guy that made taskpaper, writeroom, etc... It's on the MAS but they have betas available for trial on their support forum still I am pretty sure, I will check for you. Same format as any other markdown, no difference. Just, well, .ft for FoldingText.

They are for FoldingText, the markdown editor by hogbaysoftware.com, guy that made taskpaper, writeroom, etc... It's on the MAS but they have betas available for trial on their support forum still I am pretty sure, I will check for you. Same format as any other markdown, no difference. Just, well, .ft for FoldingText.

Thank you. It is a very interesting markdown editor indeed. 

And here is a version that will search for everything (.txt, .md, .ft) and it is much faster too: link

Sorry, I feel like a dunce asking this but... my text files are saving to the wrong folder.

I saw the note saying press fn key to reset the settings but I'm not sure when I'm supposed to press that (doing after 'newf' just gives append options). Also when I choose 'help' from the newf menu nothing appears to happen (meaning I'm not taken to a new window or instructions as I expect).

I tried deleting and re-adding the worflow but it's still remembering my first setup, which is saving to the wrong folder.

I'd appreciate a point in the right direction -- thanks.

Sorry, I feel like a dunce asking this but... my text files are saving to the wrong folder.

I saw the note saying press fn key to reset the settings but I'm not sure when I'm supposed to press that (doing after 'newf' just gives append options). Also when I choose 'help' from the newf menu nothing appears to happen (meaning I'm not taken to a new window or instructions as I expect).

I tried deleting and re-adding the worflow but it's still remembering my first setup, which is saving to the wrong folder.

I'd appreciate a point in the right direction -- thanks.

Help: you can read help from here until I fix the issue

I was about to reply regarding reseting preferences… Let me know if you need any help.

@Carloz-Sz This is an amazing workflow.  I am trying to figure out how I can take selected text from Safari and prepend it to a specific file in nvAlT.  Seems like enough of the pieces are here but can not figure out the prepend action. 

@Carloz-Sz This is an amazing workflow.  I am trying to figure out how I can take selected text from Safari and prepend it to a specific file in nvAlT.  Seems like enough of the pieces are here but can not figure out the prepend action. 

Great to hear.

Right now, when you set up the workflow, you can set a filename (default is Journal) and save text to it instead of create a new file.

To add text to this file you can set up a hotkey (the second one, named “Add text to Journal) or use the keyword newf and hold fn key.

Just downloaded your workflow. When i click newf - setup  I get this message:

New Text File With Tag 

Canceled 

It’s working here.

Please, delete the workflow, go to the initial post and download the workflow from there then install it again.

You should see an OSX select folder dialog initially.

For your information, I’m testing the workflow in the latest Alfred 2 pre-release build.

Alfred Version - 2.0.3 - 18th Apr 2013
Create a new text file with openmeta tags (3.0)

Reinstalled it again and same problem.

newf -> Setup -> Alfred Output:

New Text File With Tag 
Canceled 

Please, try this new version that moves the setup steps into Alfred instead of OSX dialog boxes:

Download Version 3.1

1. Type the keyword newf
  2. Select Setup
  3. In Step 1-3 just hit return
  4. Now start typing a folder name (the one to use with the workflow)
  5. Select it and hit return key
  6. In Step 2-3 you can change the default text extension .txt to the one you want to use like for example .md
  7. In Step 3-3 you can change the default Journal name

If you did something wrong (wrong folder or extension for example) just type the keyword setup_nft

I have a prepend to text file workflow, you can download it here.

• 3 weeks later...

First, this is a kick ass work flow. Second, I can't seem to get it to run now. every time I type 'newf' it just goes to a google search for newf.

This happen to anyone else?

------

UPDATE: fixed it. I had installed Pathfinder as my default finder and that's what was screwing things up.

Edited by Sbennie

First, this is a kick ass work flow. Second, I can't seem to get it to run now. every time I type 'newf' it just goes to a google search for newf.

This happen to anyone else?

------

UPDATE: fixed it. I had installed Pathfinder as my default finder and that's what was screwing things up.

Thank you for the feedback.

A new version of the workflow is coming soon:

• streamlined features focused on content creation
  • prepend or append (with or without a custom date format) any file in working folder
  • easily take notes from emails
  • URL and emails link with markdown format as an option
  • several improvements

nft4_001.png