Faves - Formerly Favorite Folders

Formerly called Favorite Folders, now allows you to set any file, folder, or application as a favorite.

A user requested this under the help and questions forum and i really liked the idea of it. I threw it together really quick for them but thought I would share with you guys as well. Not sure if something like this has been made already or not but, here is my rendition of it.

faves.jpg

The idea is to have a list of items that you access often, saved in a list and easily accessible. Results are actionable, can be opened by pressing Enter, browsed in Alfred by pressing Cmd+Enter, or removed from the Favorites List with Ctrl+Enter.

Download

Great workflow! I made one small change to the 'favs' script filter (on line 10):

-- $w->result( $fav, $fav, basename( $fav ), $fav, 'filetype:public.folder' );
++ $w->result( $fav, $fav, basename( $fav ), $fav, "fileicon:$fav" );

This loads the the actual icon of the folder instead of a generic folder icon; it helps me know what folder I'm looking at  :)

ah cool

Great workflow! I made one small change to the 'favs' script filter (on line 10):

-- $w->result( $fav, $fav, basename( $fav ), $fav, 'filetype:public.folder' );
++ $w->result( $fav, $fav, basename( $fav ), $fav, "fileicon:$fav" );

This loads the the actual icon of the folder instead of a generic folder icon; it helps me know what folder I'm looking at  :)

cool, nice idea

I did something similar but for any file or folder.

You can basically "fav" anything from Alfred.

I'll post it as soon as possible.

Great idea Carlos. JuhaT was the user that suggested this workflow over in the other forum and he had only mentioned wanting folders. That was the motivation for only providing folders here. This workflow could easily be modified to do files as well too. You would only have to remove the public.folder filter from the file filter area, and remove the specification to open results in Finder. After that, I think it should work for anything.

Great idea Carlos. JuhaT was the user that suggested this workflow over in the other forum and he had only mentioned wanting folders. That was the motivation for only providing folders here. This workflow could easily be modified to do files as well too. You would only have to remove the public.folder filter from the file filter area, and remove the specification to open results in Finder. After that, I think it should work for anything.

I’ll download your workflow as soon as possible. It’s nice to have a kind of Finder Favorites within Alfred. Maybe your workflow should be part of Alfred since it provides a very useful feature. Thanks again for sharing it.

How do you add a folder to favs?

To expand on what Chase responded...

This is set up to be a result action. So, that being said, find any folder in Alfred via the regular search method or via the file navigation, press the right arrow to display the result actions, and select Add to Favorites.

I love this idea because I always forget which folders I have set to hotkeys and just end up opening them in Alfred anyway.  However, running into a problem: I can't remove folders from the favourites list.  This was discovered when I added the same folder multiple times to the favourites list, which I could otherwise live with.  Any chance of a solution?

Thanks for all your posts!

I can't get this to work for the life of me. I installed it, I can browse using '/' but clicking the right arrow key on the keyboard does nothing. Not sure what I'm doing wrong here. Help?

When you press the right arrow, you should get a list of result actions from Alfred. Select the add to favorites action

When you press the right arrow, you should get a list of result actions from Alfred. Select the add to favorites action

Unless I'm doing something horribly wrong, I'm not getting a results actions from Alfred. It just stays blinking on this screen as an example. Nothing happens when clicking right, left, up or down. Turning on the File Search > Navigation > Use <- and -> for folder navigation works if I turn that on, but without it on nothing happens when clicking right arrow.

LjWFIHR.png

I had trouble wth some folders until I realized there were in fact symbolic links. Is your Desktop folder a folder or a symbolic link? If the latter is true, dragging a symlink to the file action should cure the problem.

@David: Can you add the file type public.symlink to the file action? I haven't notices any problems so far.

I had trouble wth some folders until I realized there were in fact symbolic links. Is your Desktop folder a folder or a symbolic link? If the latter is true, dragging a symlink to the file action should cure the problem.

@David: Can you add the file type public.symlink to the file action? I haven't notices any problems so far.

Hey @nikipore,

I'm not getting any action on any folder anywhere. They are the actual folders and not symbolic links as well. Whether it's the /etc/  or /Library/ or the Desktop as shown in that picture, none of them get me to see an action. I haven't been able to see "Add to Favorites" anywhere. The 'favs' keyword works correctly as expected (just shows that there are no favorite folders.

EDIT:

Figured it out, by default my settings in "File Search" > "Actions" > "Show Actions:" did NOT have -> as a command for show actions. The default was just fn or ctrl. 

Actually you could add that yourself rather easily. I believe I mentioned in a post above that you could remove the filter and have it so that you could add files as well. Just go to the workflows area, select the Favorites workflow and in the top left corner, double click the File Action item and add the symlink item to the Type section

Hi, this is a great extension. What would really improve my worflow, though, is to have an option in alfred to "send to a favorite folder".

For example, I don't use droplr or anything because I don't use screenshots often enough.
But I do have a hotkey to launch the desktop folder in alfred, which allows me to execute an action on the screenshot I just did.

From there, I  use "move to", and alfred is clever enough to offer me to choose between recently used folders.

But having the option to "move to favorite" would allow me to choose only between the folders I systematically move files to, without being limited to the ones I used recently.

Thanks for your work.

Cheers.