Faves - Formerly Favorite Folders

You just start typing the name of the app...

LMAO please I'm not a N00b! I know that. 

Let me explain to you my case scenario:

I select an audio file or a couple of ones and launch Alfred select "open with" and THEN I need to browse the app I need. If there is a way to have always available a list of Most used apps? I hope now you get the idea!

LMAO please I'm not a N00b! I know that. 

Let me explain to you my case scenario:

I select an audio file or a couple of ones and launch Alfred select "open with" and THEN I need to browse the app I need. If there is a way to have always available a list of Most used apps? I hope now you get the idea!

There isn't a way to keep a persistent list of apps in Alfred. Though, using this workflow you could set your favs, then set a hotkey to execute this workflow. Then, when you wanted to access your fav apps, just press that hotkey

There isn't a way to keep a persistent list of apps in Alfred. Though, using this workflow you could set your favs, then set a hotkey to execute this workflow. Then, when you wanted to access your fav apps, just press that hotkey

ok, so I use the same workflow but for apps? can you explain a lil bit more. kind of lost here. Do I need to make a change on the Favs workflow or not?

Hi, I love this workflow. But is it possible to enter "favs" and then by entering more characters searching the results list? To faster get to my favs folder (If I get a *few*)?

Currently there isn't but I may could add that. Just keep a watch here and I'll try to get a few things added to it

ok, so I use the same workflow but for apps? can you explain a lil bit more. kind of lost here. Do I need to make a change on the Favs workflow or not?

Give me a bit to work out a few things and I'll get you an updated version of the workflow that will work better for your needs.

sorry guys for asking that. but how do I add favorite folders to the workflow? can't figure this out.  :blink:

Via a result action. Find an item either in the file nav in Alfred or as a search result, press the right arrow to get to the result actions (or whatever your hotkey for that is), and select "Add To Faves"

Btw, the idea behind you previous request to be able to quickly show a list of frequently used apps was to save them to the faves list, then create a hotkey to access the faves list.

WOW. you nailed it ! You are a very intelligent man. Thanks, you give me 2 hours extra to play with my 4 years old daughter.. . 

Thanks David, great workflow!!

I took the liberty of modifying it a bit, to have an optional argument in the script filter, in order to be able to filter the results.

Here is the code of the script filer, comments around my additions:

require('workflows.php');
$w = new Workflows( 'jdfwarrior.faves' );

$list = $w->data().'/favorites.json';

//-- Ramiro's filter --
$filter = "{query}";
//-- end Ramiro's filter --

if ( file_exists( $list ) ):
	$favs = $w->read( $list, true );
	if ( count( $favs ) > 0 ):
		foreach( $favs as $fav ):
                        //-- Ramiro's filter --
			if ($filter && strpos(strtolower($fav),strtolower($filter)) === false) continue;
			$w->result( $fav, $fav, basename( $fav ), $fav, 'fileicon:'.$fav, 'yes', '', 'file' );
		endforeach;
	else:
		$w->result( 'na', 'na', 'No favorites', 'No favorites were found. Try adding some new favs', 'icon.png', 'no' );
	endif;
else:
	$w->result( 'na', 'na', 'No favorites', 'No favorites were found. Try adding some new favs', 'icon.png', 'no' );
endif;

echo $w->toxml();

Hope you like it!

ps: would you consider uploading your Workflows to Github or similar facilitate contribution?

Edited by ramiro.araujo

Hey @nikipore,

I'm not getting any action on any folder anywhere. They are the actual folders and not symbolic links as well. Whether it's the /etc/  or /Library/ or the Desktop as shown in that picture, none of them get me to see an action. I haven't been able to see "Add to Favorites" anywhere. The 'favs' keyword works correctly as expected (just shows that there are no favorite folders.

EDIT:

Figured it out, by default my settings in "File Search" > "Actions" > "Show Actions:" did NOT have -> as a command for show actions. The default was just fn or ctrl. 

@ R4z3r: Thanks for your edited post -- for the life of me I couldn't figure this out; now it works perfectly.

Thanks David, great workflow!!

I took the liberty of modifying it a bit, to have an optional argument in the script filter, in order to be able to filter the results.

Here is the code of the script filer, comments around my additions:

require('workflows.php');
$w = new Workflows( 'jdfwarrior.faves' );

$list = $w->data().'/favorites.json';

//-- Ramiro's filter --
$filter = "{query}";

if ( file_exists( $list ) ):
	$favs = $w->read( $list, true );
	if ( count( $favs ) > 0 ):
		foreach( $favs as $fav ):
                        //-- Ramiro's filter --
			if ($filter && strpos(strtolower($fav),strtolower($filter)) === false) continue;
			$w->result( $fav, $fav, basename( $fav ), $fav, 'fileicon:'.$fav, 'yes', '', 'file' );
		endforeach;
	else:
	endif;
else:
endif;

echo $w->toxml();

Hope you like it!

ps: would you consider uploading your Workflows to Github or similar facilitate contribution?

Good idea. I just always thought it would be a small list of "faves" but I guess if it grows then it would be nice to have a way to filter them. I've updated the workflow and posted it back on my blog. As for posting it on Github... I may do something like that sometime soon.

Thanks for this workflow...it's great.  One thing I've noticed:

A lot of my files have parentheses in their titles..for example: Smith and Smith (2010) A study of something.pdf  

Some kind of problem occurs in these cases.  The workflow doesn't appear to be able to recognize the file type when there are parentheses in the title.

Thanks very much for your help.   

I'm also having trouble deleting files from the favorites list.  I press control + enter, but that doesn't seem to be doing the job.  A growl notification does pop-up (showing only the words "Favorite Folders"), but the files remain in the favorites list.  

Thanks again. 

I'm also having trouble deleting files from the favorites list.  I press control + enter, but that doesn't seem to be doing the job.  A growl notification does pop-up (showing only the words "Favorite Folders"), but the files remain in the favorites list.  

Thanks again. 

Hi, this idea is really great.

But when I try to delete the favs folders, there exists some bugs preventing such operations.

I can only delete one folder after adding folders into favs. When I try to delete more, it just did not work.

I think you guys may be falling victim to a weird bug I've had with my Workflows class. I haven't been able to replicate it so it's hard for me to test and fix it. There have only been a few users who see it. I would bet that it's, once again, that the code for some odd reason isn't able to read the bundle id from the workflow folder. The Workflows class reads the workflows info.plist to grab bundle id. It uses that bundle id to create folders to storing data in on your machine. If it doesn't read the bundle id, the path gets messed up and causes weird issues like this. I wish I had access to a machine that was having this problem so I could tinker with it a minute and find the problem :(

I am having issues adding folders. I can add files and documents but when I navigate to a folder and press right arrow on the folder it just shows me the contents of that folder. No option to add to faves exists. Anyone help? Thanks

I am having issues adding folders. I can add files and documents but when I navigate to a folder and press right arrow on the folder it just shows me the contents of that folder. No option to add to faves exists. Anyone help? Thanks

You have the (non-default) option to use left & right arrows for folder navigation enabled in preferences:

Alfred%20Folder%20Navigation.jpg

Instead press "Fn" when the folder is highlighted for actions

Edited by sphardy

Mmm I press Fn and get the option to add files and documents but I was not seeing the option for folder....but dumb ass here wasn't noticing there so many options I needed to scroll down to see the Add to Faves option :) 

Is there anyway to change the order in this resultant list?

Thanks chaps