Search only working with wildcards?

DJF3

Team,

Couldn't find a similar topic so here's my question:

When seaching for a file (just typing part of the name or using 'find' + part of the name Alfred doesn't show the files. Example.

FILE NAME: 2015-Aug-CreateHeader-01.xls

SPOTLIGHT: type "createhea" -- found

ALFRED:       type "createhea" -- no result

ALFRED:       type "2015-Aug-Cre" -- found

ALFRED:       type "*createhea" -- found

Is this works as designed? Configurable feature? PBKAC? (problem between keyboard and chair)

Team,

Couldn't find a similar topic so here's my question:

When seaching for a file (just typing part of the name or using 'find' + part of the name Alfred doesn't show the files. Example.

FILE NAME: 2015-Aug-CreateHeader-01.xls

SPOTLIGHT: type "createhea" -- found

ALFRED:       type "createhea" -- no result

ALFRED:       type "2015-Aug-Cre" -- found

ALFRED:       type "*createhea" -- found

Is this works as designed? Configurable feature? PBKAC? (problem between keyboard and chair)

Are you still having this issue? Alfred should definitely be finding this file based on the search criteria you provided. I just touched a quick file, named the exact same thing and Alfred finds it just as expected. I would have suggested reindexing but it seems that he does seem to find it other ways.

Are you still having this issue? Alfred should definitely be finding this file based on the search criteria you provided. I just touched a quick file, named the exact same thing and Alfred finds it just as expected. I would have suggested reindexing but it seems that he does seem to find it other ways.

It still works as described in my first post.. Have no clue where to look for the problem ;-)

DJ

I've had a bit of a play with this and it should work fine...

dash%20space%20file%20search.png

Could you try creating a folder on your desktop called "bananas-alfredtest", wait a few seconds for this to be indexed by OS X, then open Alfred and type:

[spacebar]alfredtest

... where [spacebar] just means pressing space before typing alfredtest. This will insert a ' before the file search and put Alfred into file search mode.

If this doesn't find the file, could you download the Alfred metadata tool and drag the file not being found into it so I can see the output:

https://cachefly.alfredapp.com/tools/AlfredMetadataTool_v1.1.zip

Cheers,

Andrew

I've had a bit of a play with this and it should work fine...

Could you try creating a folder on your desktop called "bananas-alfredtest", wait a few seconds for this to be indexed by OS X, then open Alfred and type:

[spacebar]alfredtest

... where [spacebar] just means pressing space before typing alfredtest. This will insert a ' before the file search and put Alfred into file search mode.

If this doesn't find the file, could you download the Alfred metadata tool and drag the file not being found into it so I can see the output:

https://cachefly.alfredapp.com/tools/AlfredMetadataTool_v1.1.zip

Cheers,

Andrew

The alfredtest worked fine! I have send you a PM with the metadata tool result for the file I used in the initial tests.

The alfredtest worked fine! I have send you a PM with the metadata tool result for the file I used in the initial tests.

The metadata looks fine... could you try temporarily renaming the file and replacing the dashes with spaces? Once Alfred finds it correctly, name it back again to dashes. This should kick the metadata to be rebuilt for that file.

Out of interest, does mdimport /my/file/path have the same effect?

Theoretically, but I've experienced in the past that mdimport sometimes just ignores the request to add to the index in the case of index corruption. When renaming a file and back again, it seems to treat it as a new metadata entry in the index.

This could however just be random or a red herring, but just in case, I always suggest renaming :P

It still works as described in my first post.. Have no clue where to look for the problem ;-)

DJ

UPDATE: right now my SPOTLIGHT search also seems to have the below problem... So I'll investigate that first.

File: 2015-02feb-Jive-CreateHeader-3.xlsx - not found when searching 'CreateHeader'

rename file

File: 2015 02feb Jive CreateHeader 3.xlsx - FOUND when searching 'CreateHeader'

rename file

File: 2015-02feb-Jive-CreateHeader-3.xlsx - not found when searching 'CreateHeader'

rename file (no '-3' at the end)

File: 2015-02feb-Jive-CreateHeader.xlsx - FOUND when searching 'CreateHeader'

rename file (no dash at the end)

File: 2015-02feb-Jive-CreateHeader03.xlsx - FOUND when searching 'CreateHeader'

tried with a couple of other XLS files: same result

;-)

Edited by DJF3

Out of interest, does mdimport /my/file/path have the same effect?

Well... it comes with a gigantic error message that I'll investigate:

mdimport /Users/USERNAME/Documents/Projects/2015-02feb-Jive-CreateHeader-03.xlsx
2015-10-13 21:12:27.331 mdimport[44319:26366191] Error loading /Library/Spotlight/Microsoft Office.mdimporter/Contents/MacOS/Microsoft Office:  dlopen(/Library/Spotlight/Microsoft Office.mdimporter/Contents/MacOS/Microsoft Office, 262): no suitable image found.  Did find:
/Library/Spotlight/Microsoft Office.mdimporter/Contents/MacOS/Microsoft Office: mach-o, but wrong architecture
2015-10-13 21:12:27.331 mdimport[44319:26366191] Cannot find function pointer OfficeImporterPluginFactory for factory BFA4E323-1889-11D9-82C8-000A959816BE in CFBundle/CFPlugIn 0x7fbc88d079c0 </Library/Spotlight/Microsoft Office.mdimporter> (bundle, not loaded)
(Import.Error:711) Could not create instance for plugIn 'file:///Library/Spotlight/Microsoft%20Office.mdimporter/'

Besides spotlight, it's still strange that

- with the last dash in the name the file is not found

- without that dash the file is found

- when searching for *CreateHeader all are found.

So these files can be found, it just appears to be the dash that does something weird?