Previews of images/links etc in the clipboard viewer

This has been something I have hoped would come to Alfred ever since I started using it several years ago. Unless I have been a massive plonker, and missed it, this functionality still does not exist.

Essentially when one scrolls through the clipboard viewer any links that are images would show a preview of said image. As one who deals with lots of image based urls, this would be very handy. 

Something a bit like this:

4Eey2IN.png

....if this could be carried on to preview links in the way say Twitter clients like Tweetbot does, then that would be even better.

For example:

D3yqjPd.png

This feature could be turned on and off via the settings, so those that do not want it can turn it off.

Thanks for reading...and if it's not obvious, I am not a designer  ;)

• 1 month later...

Not even a reply telling me to shove it  :(

Alright then, shove it.

In all seriousness, now, though I’m not affiliated with Alfred in any official capacity and have no insider information, I’ll say that this is unlikely to ever happen in version 2.

Alfred’s clipboard is text-only and it doesn’t even keep the formatting, and proudly so (as in, it is touted as a feature). What you’re asking for isn’t related to the clipboard, but an addition that could benefit many parts of Alfred, and it brings with it many implications. In this case, the responsiveness of your clipboard would be related to the speed of your connection, and that is a weird proposition. It opens a can of worms that all need to be considered and put in line before considering this.

I touch on that because you can be certain that if this were added to the clipboard, everyone would be clamouring for it to be accessible to workflow developers in a general capacity. As such, this clipboard request isn’t just about the clipboard, but about Alfred as a whole.

I don’t want to speculate or go on for long on this, but the main point is: this isn’t an easy feature. It isn’t straightforward to implement well and would likely require a rethink of the underlying logic of Alfred itself. As such, I don’t see it happening without a major release (and even then, it doesn’t mean it will happen). Perhaps Andrew and Vero are already working on it, perhaps they aren’t and never will. We can mostly be sure they have at least considered it at some point in the past, due to posts on this forum and the introduction of a similar feature in Spotlight, but we know nothing more.

I touch on that because you can be certain that if this were added to the clipboard, everyone would be clamouring for it to be accessible to workflow developers in a general capacity. As such, this clipboard request isn’t just about the clipboard, but about Alfred as a whole.

You're damn right!