Moved Dropbox folder to new location, now Alfred lost all settings

ccp

Hi there,

I moved my Dropbox to an external drive due to space limitations, now all my settings and workflows are gone!

I reconnected to the new Dropbox location and Alfred is showing the correct location, but I am not seeing any of my settings and workflows within Alfred.

I have looked inside the alfred.alfredpreferences package and all the files are there. Scratching my head with this one!

Hope it is an easy one to resolve.

Craig

http://d.pr/i/OW18

Hi there,

I moved my Dropbox to an external drive due to space limitations, now all my settings and workflows are gone!

I reconnected to the new Dropbox location and Alfred is showing the correct location, but I am not seeing any of my settings and workflows within Alfred.

I have looked inside the alfred.alfredpreferences package and all the files are there. Scratching my head with this one!

Hope it is an easy one to resolve.

Craig

http://d.pr/i/OW18

Hi Craig,

Are you sure this is the correct path? It shows /Dropbox/Dropbox/ which seems odd?

I'm not sure how files were moved to your new drive, but did you ensure that Dropbox had fully completed syncing its files? Otherwise, if you picked a new sync location in Alfred without giving Dropbox sufficient time, it's possible that Alfred has created a preferences file in the process.

I would recommend checking that you have your old preferences (prior to switching to the external drive) in Time Machine, quitting Alfred, removing all other preferences and copying your known-to-be-correct preferences to a suitable location.

Also, unless you *really* have no other option, keeping your preferences on your local Mac in an always-available location is a better solution than an external drive, which may not always be correctly connected or available, resulting in unpredictable behaviour.

Cheers,

Vero

Hi Vero,

I hear what you are saying regarding keeping preferences in an always available location. I have moved them onto a memory card which is always available, but I will try moving Dropbox back to my local HD and report back.

Kind regards,
Craig

Hi Vero,

I hear what you are saying regarding keeping preferences in an always available location. I have moved them onto a memory card which is always available, but I will try moving Dropbox back to my local HD and report back.

Kind regards,
Craig

In my personal opinion, keeping your Dropbox on a removable media drive like a memory card is fairly risky; Theoretically, if Dropbox tried syncing and decided that your files were no longer there, it may treat them as deleted and start removing them from your online Dropbox account too, having a potentially catastrophic impact. 

Let us know how it goes when your preferences are back on your local Mac. :)

Cheers,

Vero

Hi Vero,

Copied my Dropbox folder back to my home folder and restored my preferences via Time Machine and all is working fine again.

What’s that old saying again?… oh yes… If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!!!

Thanks for the help and advice. Much appreciated  :)

Craig

Hi Vero,

Copied my Dropbox folder back to my home folder and restored my preferences via Time Machine and all is working fine again.

What’s that old saying again?… oh yes… If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!!!

Thanks for the help and advice. Much appreciated  :)

Craig

Great, glad that resolved the issue :)

Cheers,

Vero