Request: Workflow for Setting Up Desktop for the Day

Hi! I'm new to Alfred forums, I've had the powerpack for about a month now but I've ran into an issue...

I can't program!

Soo... if anyone would be kind enough to explain the basics of what I need to do (or if you'd like to make the workflow for me) that would be amazing.

Here's what I have spent hours researching how to do but failed to make anything work:

A workflow to:

1. Starts with keyword "Good Morning"
  2. Notification that says good morning back (is that weird? idk)
  3. kill any applications currently running (kind of like a fresh start) 
  4. open specific applications (is it possible to have some running in the background?)
  5. open specific files

Bonus: 

1. is there a way to have alfred auto login to the specified websites? (I do have 1password)
  2. is there a way to make separate desktops? or is that too advanced... (I have El capitan)
  • Reason why is because I wanted one desktop to open "school" related websites/files and the other open my "wasting time online" files. 

I feel like this is way too much to ask, so if anyone would just like to explain only one or two things I'd really appreciate that.  Thank you! -K

Hi! I'm new to Alfred forums, I've had the powerpack for about a month now but I've ran into an issue...

I can't program!

Soo... if anyone would be kind enough to explain the basics of what I need to do (or if you'd like to make the workflow for me) that would be amazing.

Here's what I have spent hours researching how to do but failed to make anything work:

A workflow to:

1. Starts with keyword "Good Morning"
  2. Notification that says good morning back (is that weird? idk)
  3. kill any applications currently running (kind of like a fresh start) 
  4. open specific applications (is it possible to have some running in the background?)
  5. open specific files

Bonus: 

1. is there a way to have alfred auto login to the specified websites? (I do have 1password)
  2. is there a way to make separate desktops? or is that too advanced... (I have El capitan)
  • Reason why is because I wanted one desktop to open "school" related websites/files and the other open my "wasting time online" files. 

I feel like this is way too much to ask, so if anyone would just like to explain only one or two things I'd really appreciate that.  Thank you! -K

Welcome to Alfred :)

Much of this is possible with workflows, and can be done without any programming knowledge. However, workflows are a Powerpack feature so could you please pop by your forum profile and fill in your Powerpack email address in the relevant fields? It allows admins (ie. me) to confirm your Powerpack status.

Then we'll help you unleash the awesomeness of workflows.

Cheers,

Vero

if anyone would be kind enough to explain the basics of what I need to do

If you’re googling for the answers, stop and instead look at Alfred’s documentation. It’s well put together, and should walk you through the basics.

Most of your request is simple enough. As Vero mentioned, it’s also perfectly feasible without actually programming (by using Alfred’s default workflow actions), but you’d have to build multiple workflows. If you really want all that in a single step, some minimal coding is required.

Your bonus requests are a bit trickier. Alfred can already use 1Password of the box, but making it auto-fill and auto-login without user action for the opened websites won’t happen (1Password specifically wants for auto-fill not to happen). Regarding separating apps between desktops, preemptively do this

thisdesktop.jpg.

As for the main steps, I already have a rough workflow that should do what you want. It’s done with the least amount of code possible so you can easily tweak it.

Please fill in the powerpack information requested by Vero and report back so I can link you to it and post the setup steps (since you’ll need to add the apps/files that you want to open).