Can't seem to get Comics workflow to work

hi, I'm brand new to Alfred. Just installed v3 last night and bought the powerpack this morning. I've added a few workflows and most work beautifully but the Comics one doesn't seem to do anything. I type the keyword and I get a list of comics to view, I select one and hit enter and then nothing happens. Is this a v2 to v3 issue or am I doing something wrong?

sorry, I thought it was one of the standard example ones.  I'm not sure how to give you actionable information. When I right click on it in prefs and say show in finder, the file is comics.py.  I think it's the one in this thread:

http://www.alfredforum.com/topic/1217-comic-strip-viewer-workflow/

Awesome idea, looks like it might be an old workflow that is perhaps not kept current.  The idea of being able to use Alfred to quickly and easily view a few favorite comics like Dilbert, Pearls Before Swine, The Oatmeal, would be great.

Has the same problem as a couple of other Old workflows.

Take a look here: http://www.alfredforum.com/topic/8898-alfred-3-workflow-compatibility/#entry44315

Basically you have to go into your workflow folder(right click workflow and click "Open in Finder") and open "alfred.py"

There youll find these 2 lines:

True: '~/Library/Caches/com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred-2/Workflow Data',
        False: '~/Library/Application Support/Alfred 2/Workflow Data'

Replace "Alfred-2" with "Alfred-3" and "/Alfred 2/" with "/Alfred 3/"

then it should work again :)

Edit: That doesnt fix it quite yet, checking what else has to be done

Edit2: I tested it under Alfred 2 where i get the same errors, maybe the best is to make a post in the thread so the creator can check.

Probably a converting issue.

Edited by FroZen_X

Yep, just tried that. No joy. I'm finding two workflows that seem broken. One is this one, the other is the one that lets you search in Evernote. I made the modification above, quit and relaunched Alfred, still seeing neither working.

sigh.

Yep, just tried that. No joy. I'm finding two workflows that seem broken. One is this one, the other is the one that lets you search in Evernote. I made the modification above, quit and relaunched Alfred, still seeing neither working.

sigh.

I edited my post, i tested the workflow in Alfred 2 and it doesn't work there for me either. Best thing is to try to contact the creator :/

yeah, I posted on the thread for this workflow in the other workflow-dedicated forum here. Seems like several of us are having the same issue. If I select to search in Evernote, it will only let me search in either google, amazon or wikipedia. I don't get an option to search in Evernote. And if I select the designated hotkey of ens, I only get the option to sync evernote. So I have to just type en, then scroll to the 'search evernote' option, which then gives me the google/wiki/amazon options. Seems like a number of people are having an issue with this one.

yeah, I posted on the thread for this workflow in the other workflow-dedicated forum here. Seems like several of us are having the same issue. If I select to search in Evernote, it will only let me search in either google, amazon or wikipedia. I don't get an option to search in Evernote. And if I select the designated hotkey of ens, I only get the option to sync evernote. So I have to just type en, then scroll to the 'search evernote' option, which then gives me the google/wiki/amazon options. Seems like a number of people are having an issue with this one.

First of all delete the workflow and download/install(from here) it again. I just did that and it still works mmhh

Then keep in mind that evernote has to be installed on your mac and has to be synced. If "ens" doesn't show you anything first then 

start evernote and try the keyword again. You should be able to search stuff.

If this all doesnt work then open the workflow in Alfred and press the little bug at the top right.

Then run "ens" again and check what's the output is. If you see any errors etc.

Edited by FroZen_X

When I doubleclick on the work flow after downloading it, I get this error:

"Unable to import workflow

Please close the sheet you are currently editing and try again".

If I select 'close' after seeing that, I'm then seeing a screen that allows me to import this workflow.  If I select 'import', then I see the workflow. If I then try to use it, I get the same error that others are getting as noted on that thread.  I do have Evernote installed locally as a Mac app and it is synced. Not sure where to go from here.

First delete the workflow in alfred and then install it again. The popup is cause you were editing a workflow or so. 

Adding the workflow when it already exists gives you an "update" button. Therefore delete the workflow and then install it.

Make sure its the right one.

Then again if you have issues with the workflow its helpful to go to the evernote workflow → click top right the bug icon which 

will open a console thing like this:

20zeidc.png

Don't close this. Try "ens" search again and then check if you see something in the window.

Here it works like this:

xl9snl.png

Edited by FroZen_X

Ok, first, thank you for all your help. I'm very grateful for it.

I did delete the workflow before reinstalling it but apparently just having the prefs window open and the workflow pane visible seems to be enough to generate that error message. So I deleted it again, closed the prefs window and reinstalled the workflow. Same behavior. So I put it in debug mode and this is the error message:

[2016-05-21 20:37:53][ERROR: input.scriptfilter] Code 1: 0:90: execution error: mkdir: /Users/RJM/Library/Application Support/Alfred 2/Workflow Data: No such file or directory (1)

I went looking and, yep, I have that exact path but with Alfred 3 instead of 2. So I tried an experiment. I copied that directory and renamed it exactly the same except Alfred 2, but I still get the same error message.

I'm not sure if it's something in the workflow script that's looking for that directory or something at a higher level than that.

I searched in the Workflow dir for Alfred 2 and the only thing appearing is in the plist which doesn't matter.

You shouldnt change your real path as it would have been if so a hard coded path in the workflow itself.

I exported my workflow here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/veiwupztkfwlvge/Evernote.alfredworkflow?dl=0

Search in Alfred's workflows for evernote workflows and delete them all. Then install the workflow i shared.

This way I'm sure we are at the same stage

Edit: It seems like you're using the workflow shown in this thread: http://www.alfredforum.com/topic/840-evernote-8991-evernote-606-support-search-create-append-set-reminders-all-within-alfred/page-29

Others have the same issue like you said yeah, i meant the one i shared tho which does work. Gotta have to check out the other one to see what's wrong. 

Edited by FroZen_X

I did as you suggested. I deleted the Evernote workflow, then actually quit and relaunched Alfred just to be safe, then downloaded and installed the workflow you exported. I'm getting the same exact behavior with the same exact error message.

You've probably already seen it, but in the Sharing Workflows section of this forum there's an Evernote topic up to 29 pages and a lot of others are experiencing the same thing I'm experiencing. It's here:

http://www.alfredforum.com/topic/840-evernote-8991-evernote-606-support-search-create-append-set-reminders-all-within-alfred/page-29

In a prior life I used to do software development. After reading that other thread I figured "well at least everyone's having this issue, should make diagnosing and fixing it easier" but now we have you with no issues and the workflow working perfectly. I'm assuming you're on Alfred 3, correct?  Man I'd love to get this workflow working.   All the others (except the Comics one) are working beautifully. Problem is, most of the others I just installed to see how they worked but won't use them much. This Evernote one, I'd use this a lot.  

Thanks again for your time and assistance.

I did as you suggested. I deleted the Evernote workflow, then actually quit and relaunched Alfred just to be safe, then downloaded and installed the workflow you exported. I'm getting the same exact behavior with the same exact error message.

You've probably already seen it, but in the Sharing Workflows section of this forum there's an Evernote topic up to 29 pages and a lot of others are experiencing the same thing I'm experiencing. It's here:

http://www.alfredforum.com/topic/840-evernote-8991-evernote-606-support-search-create-append-set-reminders-all-within-alfred/page-29

In a prior life I used to do software development. After reading that other thread I figured "well at least everyone's having this issue, should make diagnosing and fixing it easier" but now we have you with no issues and the workflow working perfectly. I'm assuming you're on Alfred 3, correct?  Man I'd love to get this workflow working.   All the others (except the Comics one) are working beautifully. Problem is, most of the others I just installed to see how they worked but won't use them much. This Evernote one, I'd use this a lot.  

Yes i am on Alfred 3 build 652 and OS X 10.11.5. My Evernote is on 6.6.1 mmhh

Its pretty weird however that you're getting that error message as there is no hardcoded path. No clue where its getting it from.

Hope the creator will check that soon, as i can't help much when i can't reproduce it :/

I can delete it and reinstall version 8.991 with no issue.

I found the issue. Go to the workflow folder and open en_search.scpt → replace "Alfred 2" with "Alfred 3"

I have Alfred 2 still installed that's why i might not have the issue. Let me know if it works:)

Edited by FroZen_X

ok, so just to be clear, here's what I just tried to do. I went to ~/library/application support/alfred 3/alred.alfredpreferences/workflows/ and then found that .scpt file in user.workflow.......(big string of characters). I'm not a script guy, just making that clear. I double clicked the script which brought it up in Script Editor. I then searched for "Alfred" and that text string is not used in that script. I then searched on "2" and it's in there 36 times, but never in a way that looks like it is used to refer to a version number.

Am I looking in the wrong place?  Only way I found that scpt file in the first place was just doing a search and that's the only place that got returned.

ok, so just to be clear, here's what I just tried to do. I went to ~/library/application support/alfred 3/alred.alfredpreferences/workflows/ and then found that .scpt file in user.workflow.......(big string of characters). I'm not a script guy, just making that clear. I double clicked the script which brought it up in Script Editor. I then searched for "Alfred" and that text string is not used in that script. I then searched on "2" and it's in there 36 times, but never in a way that looks like it is used to refer to a version number.

Am I looking in the wrong place?  Only way I found that scpt file in the first place was just doing a search and that's the only place that got returned.

Lemme switch it up for you and then ill upload another version that should work :)

Ok changing everything doesnt do the trick yet. I end up with 

[2016-05-22 16:00:34][ERROR: input.scriptfilter] Code 1: 0:90: execution error: «script» doesn’t understand the “new_workflow_with_bundle” message. (-1708)

Might have to do with the initialization and q_workflow.scpt

Its better the creator takes a look at it then :/ idk what to do to make it work from this point on sry.

Unless you still have Alfred 2 it won't work yet.

Gonna have to check how to get this to work.

Never worked with qWorkflow, but according to it you can change:

(https://github.com/qlassiqa/qWorkflow)

set wf to new_workflow_with_bundle("com.sztoltz.evernote")

to this:

set workflowFolder to do shell script "pwd"
set wlib to load script POSIX file (workflowFolder & "/q_workflow.scpt")
set wf to wlib's new_workflow()

Maybe someone else who knows more about it jumps on the train or the creator himself.

Still gonna check it out when i can.

Edited by FroZen_X

Sorry I didn't post this earlier. I'm still working with the new forum member 10 post a day limit and I had to wait for it to reset.

alright, I figured it out. There are two scripts that reference Alfred 2. I just went and looked at each script. There's en_pref.scpt and q_workflow.scpt. I changed it in those, saved 'em, and I'm in business!   It now seems to be working perfectly. I wonder if you're now having issues because you also have Alfred 2 installed. I've only got Alfred 3. Changing those elements in those two scripts seems to have done the trick.  Thanks so much for your help!

Sorry I didn't post this earlier. I'm still working with the new forum member 10 post a day limit and I had to wait for it to reset.

alright, I figured it out. There are two scripts that reference Alfred 2. I just went and looked at each script. There's en_pref.scpt and q_workflow.scpt. I changed it in those, saved 'em, and I'm in business!   It now seems to be working perfectly. I wonder if you're now having issues because you also have Alfred 2 installed. I've only got Alfred 3. Changing those elements in those two scripts seems to have done the trick.  Thanks so much for your help!

Just back home and that sounds awesome :) i changed the en_pref.scpt but couldn't find the q_workflow oO where is that located ?

I deleted Alfred 2 so that i could replicate the issue but all good, don't worry ^^

Glad i could help tho :)