Search Calendar Events

I would like to query calendar events by name and get resulting matches with date listed in the Alfred window. Actions would be great ,but mainly I just want to be able to quickly check the date for an existing event: "What day is my dentist appointment again?"

"What day is my dentist appointment again?"

Natural language queries are almost certainly pie-in-the-sky for a workflow.

It's probably possible to search the titles of your events, depending on which calendar application you use.

Can I assume you're using Apple's Calendar.app?

Oh, sorry if that example was unclear. I'm not looking for natural language, just based on title (e.g. "Dentist Appointment") A search for that phrase would list all events with matching titles and their date.

I use BusyCal, but it's using the same iCloud calendars as the Calendar.app.

thanks for the help!

On 6/26/2016 at 9:20 PM, evanfuchs said:

Oh, sorry if that example was unclear. I'm not looking for natural language, just based on title (e.g. "Dentist Appointment") A search for that phrase would list all events with matching titles and their date.

I use BusyCal, but it's using the same iCloud calendars as the Calendar.app.

thanks for the help!

Here's the Calendar search I use for Apple's own Calendar:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aa2y8morc97k5r3/Calendar search.alfredworkflow?dl=0

Type "cal" followed by the name of your calendar entry to see the results in Alfred, e.g. "cal dentist"

As I'm not familiar with BusyCal, you may need to tweak the workflow, but if it just uses the Calendar app's data without modifying it, it should just work out of the box :)

Cheers,

Vero
Edited by Vero
Dropbox link updated to work again :)

Thanks, Vero! I love how responsive you are with support questions :)

That works great, and yes, it doesn't matter about BusyCal vs. Calendar.app.

Is there any way to pull the date/time info or limit the scope to future events? It doesn't look like there is metadata for either of those.

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...
2 hours ago, ae6dx said:

I tried this

Tried what? Vero's workflow?

It doesn't work with BusyCal because it isn't BusyCal's data the workflow is searching.

2 hours ago, ae6dx said:

How do I use this to search for an existing event?

With Calendar.app, not BusyCal.

Frankly, I think you can forget about connecting Alfred to BusyCal in any meaningful way. BusyCal offers only extremely rudimentary integration options. This is a problem with BusyCal, not Alfred.

You can add things to BusyCal via its URL scheme, but there's no way to get any data out of BusyCal.

Edited by deanishe
  • 10 months later...
1 hour ago, Vero said:

when Dropbox changed the way their shared URLs work

Would you consider putting your workflows somewhere more permanent? One of the things Dropbox changed is that URLs are only valid as long as the file doesn't change.

So every time you update a workflow, you need to create a new sharing link and update all the links on the forum.

@deanishe Very true :) I suppose my workflows tend to be quite simple ones that only change in very rare cases, and are created on-the-fly as someone needs them. This particular link change is due to Dropbox's policy change (last year?) where the public folder became uhh no longer public. 

I'll likely pop all of mine on Github soon :) 

12 minutes ago, Vero said:

quite simple ones that only change in very rare cases, and are created on-the-fly as someone needs them

I just dump those workflows in a folder on my webserver.

It was a PITA when Dropbox removed the public folder, and I'm not going to get bitten by their upgrade-to-a-paid-account arm-twisting again.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 years later...
On 5/14/2018 at 1:42 PM, Vero said:

Hi @jeromecarney - You're right, the link stopped working when Dropbox changed the way their shared URLs work. I've updated the link above and you can find it here too:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aa2y8morc97k5r3/Calendar search.alfredworkflow?dl=0

I've tested it from El Capitan up to High Sierra and it works great with Apple's built-in Calendar :)

Cheers,
Vero

@Vero I use this workflow to search calendar events and it works good. I would like to find out how to modify this so that i can search by date and get list of all events on date? example say cald 05-jul-22 and get list of all events with title and ability to open events of selected one

22 hours ago, pankajsz said:

@Vero I use this workflow to search calendar events and it works good. I would like to find out how to modify this so that i can search by date and get list of all events on date (past or future)? example say cald 05-jul-22 and get list of all events with title and ability to open events of selected one

@vitor Is there any automation task related to date and calendar that can be used to achieve above? thanks in advance

1 hour ago, vitor said:

That specific requested is better suited to a Workflow.

thanks @vitor can you guide me to write one? Agenda by Robb Knight - Day's overview or Video conference by Dean Jackson would perhaps be good starting point. I know bit of applescript and python (more of tweaking rather than writing it completely)