Reminders

I'd really like to be able to add a reminder to a specific list. Something like this maybe?

r in Work at 2:30 to Call Bob

Yeah, I have to second that request. This is by far the best reminders workflow I have come across but unfortunately it still lacks the ability to define the list where the reminder should go to on the fly. I haven't found a reminders workflow that does, but it would be so very much needed and appreciated. I figured if it was possible it would have already been added to this workflow since it pretty much has everything else... a reason why I never mentioned anything but since someone else just did, I'll throw my +1 in the hopes that Mr. James has the time to make it happen. So what do you think? Will we eventually see this happen or most likely not? Either way, we appreciate your work and listening to all our nitpicking requests.

Initially, I thought the reminders were not created correctly for me because I did not receive notifications when they were due, even though they had due dates in Reminders.app. Then I realized that the "due date" that the workflow sets is different from the "remind me date", which is the one you can set if you create a reminder manually. I was not able to create reminders manually that had a "due date", only ones with the "remind me date".

Long story short, the workflow can easily be modified to create reminders that properly trigger notifications. You just have to edit the "Run script" part of the workflow and change "due date" to "remind me date" in the following line:

tell list reminderList to make new reminder with properties {name:theText, remind me date:theDate}

Since I manage all my to dos in OmniFocus, I only use Reminders.app for short term reminders (e.g., call back person x in 30 minutes). Not having the alarm feature working kinda defeated the purpose of setting those reminders in the first place. ;)

Anyway, I am super thrilled that everything is working now for me. Thanks for your great work, Jack!

Yeah, I have to second that request. This is by far the best reminders workflow I have come across but unfortunately it still lacks the ability to define the list where the reminder should go to on the fly. I haven't found a reminders workflow that does, but it would be so very much needed and appreciated. I figured if it was possible it would have already been added to this workflow since it pretty much has everything else... a reason why I never mentioned anything but since someone else just did, I'll throw my +1 in the hopes that Mr. James has the time to make it happen. So what do you think? Will we eventually see this happen or most likely not? Either way, we appreciate your work and listening to all our nitpicking requests.

I'll look into it!

Initially, I thought the reminders were not created correctly for me because I did not receive notifications when they were due, even though they had due dates in Reminders.app. Then I realized that the "due date" that the workflow sets is different from the "remind me date", which is the one you can set if you create a reminder manually. I was not able to create reminders manually that had a "due date", only ones with the "remind me date".

Long story short, the workflow can easily be modified to create reminders that properly trigger notifications. You just have to edit the "Run script" part of the workflow and change "due date" to "remind me date" in the following line:

tell list reminderList to make new reminder with properties {name:theText, remind me date:theDate}

Since I manage all my to dos in OmniFocus, I only use Reminders.app for short term reminders (e.g., call back person x in 30 minutes). Not having the alarm feature working kinda defeated the purpose of setting those reminders in the first place. ;)

Anyway, I am super thrilled that everything is working now for me. Thanks for your great work, Jack!

I didn't realise there was a difference between the two!

OK so I've updated my master version with your change as it seems to make more sense.

I'd really like to be able to add a reminder to a specific list. Something like this maybe?

r in Work at 2:30 to Call Bob

See the new version in the original post.

The way it works is you have to use the pattern "in {name of reminder list} list" at the end of the command (after any other patterns). Alfred will give you some feedback as to what he's going to do, but (in the current version at least), he will not check that the list exists (it will just fail, so there'll be no notification after you press enter).

I can also look into doing a pattern along the lines of "in list 2" if anyone would find that useful.

Also this is getting rather complex now, so I would expect some bugs to start cropping up, let me know if you run into any!

See the new version in the original post.

The way it works is you have to use the pattern "in {name of reminder list} list" at the end of the command (after any other patterns). Alfred will give you some feedback as to what he's going to do, but (in the current version at least), he will not check that the list exists (it will just fail, so there'll be no notification after you press enter).

I can also look into doing a pattern along the lines of "in list 2" if anyone would find that useful.

Also this is getting rather complex now, so I would expect some bugs to start cropping up, let me know if you run into any!

Alright thank you. I will check i out. "in list 2" seems like it could be useful but let me try to new version for a bit and let you know how it goes, i.e. any bugs etc... Won't have time to try it out until Friday when I get back but I am sure others will post feedback in the meantime. Thanks again for doing all this extra work to make everyone happy!

This might be a different workflow but it would be great to not only add but also look at and mark as done existing reminders. So a script filter shows all the reminders (with the due date and reminder list in the subtitle), allows you to filter through them with search terms or by reminder list, and mark them as done by selecting them.

This might be a different workflow but it would be great to not only add but also look at and mark as done existing reminders. So a script filter shows all the reminders (with the due date and reminder list in the subtitle), allows you to filter through them with search terms or by reminder list, and mark them as done by selecting them.

Ooh that's a great idea. I'll look into it.

Added a new (beta) version which adds a "remind" keyword (with optional search parameter) which will show existing reminders in Alfred.

Sadly it's a little slow to process right now. The current version doesn't let you "action" any of the reminders it finds, I'll add that functionality once I've determined how (if?) I can speed it up.

Edited by Jack James

Implemented in the latest version. See the original post.

Implemented in the latest version. See the original post.

Great, this is awesome!

Is there a way to filter by reminder list? 

I personally changed to keyword to 'remind' and set the argument to "optional" so that I get the full list of reminders right after entering the keyword without any search term. 'r' with optional argument works as well but the list gets polluted by other stuff that matches 'r'

Great, this is awesome!

Is there a way to filter by reminder list? 

I personally changed to keyword to 'remind' and set the argument to "optional" so that I get the full list of reminders right after entering the keyword without any search term. 'r' with optional argument works as well but the list gets polluted by other stuff that matches 'r'

In terms for filtering by list, that's  certainly doable, would something like "r work", which would show reminders in "work" list and reminders containing "work" do the trick, or do you want something more precise?

Changing the keyword is allowed, you have my blessing  ;). I was actually considering this as well, and thought of maybe having "r all" show every reminder (which should also be enough to filter out the clutter). Thoughts?

Maybe this is to complicated but what's about a symbol as a keyword like '#', which is often used for tags. The idea would be this

'r' shows all reminder with 'add new reminder' on top (same behavior)

'r #' shows the list of reminder lists (not the actual reminders), tab autocompletes to 'r #work' or whatever is selected and now we get a list of reminder in work and when we select 'add new reminder', the reminder is added to 'work'

An easier solution would be without listing the lists and the completion and instead use 'r #work' to restrict to the work list and add reminders to that list. I think it's a little confusing if 'r work' works the way you described it. I also like that 'r #work' both shows item from a specific list and adds reminder to that list. 

Maybe this is to complicated but what's about a symbol as a keyword like '#', which is often used for tags. The idea would be this

'r' shows all reminder with 'add new reminder' on top (same behavior)

'r #' shows the list of reminder lists (not the actual reminders), tab autocompletes to 'r #work' or whatever is selected and now we get a list of reminder in work and when we select 'add new reminder', the reminder is added to 'work'

An easier solution would be without listing the lists and the completion and instead use 'r #work' to restrict to the work list and add reminders to that list. I think it's a little confusing if 'r work' works the way you described it. I also like that 'r #work' both shows item from a specific list and adds reminder to that list. 

the problem with using a hashtag is that reminder list names can be (typically are) more than one word. so "r #work list" doesn't know if you want to search in a list called "work" for the item "list" or just in "work list"

Hm, I can't get it to work.

When I use the phrase ''r on 30-03-13 at 11am Geld storten'' I cannot enter it. When I press the return button, nothing happens.

It only works when I leave out the date and time or use tomorrow (without the time).

I used various dates (eg 30-03-13, 30/03/13, 03-30-13) but they all don't work. Am I missing something?

Awesome idea with set reminder in number of minutes or days. I think it would be more awesome if use both parameters at same time. Like this:

r in 2 days 5 hours to Call Lucy

or

r in 2d5h to Call Lucy

What do you think?

Edited by exevil