Short Films — Stream from a selection of short films

When reporting issues, please include your exact installed versions of:
  • The Workflow.
  • Alfred.
  • macOS.
In addition to:
  • The debugger output. Perform the failing action, click “Copy” on the top right and paste it here.
  • Details on what you did, what happened, and what you expected to happen. A short video of the steps with the debugger open may help to find the problem faster.
Thank you. Accurate and thorough information is crucial for a proper diagnosis which allows me to help you better.

Update.

If you’re installing the launchd service, it now by default runs close to the time Short of the Week updates their website daily (seems to be about 2PM UTC). To take advantage of this, uninstall and reinstall again with :shortfilmslaunchd.

:shortfilmslaunchd now also detects if the lauchd service is in place and only shows Install or Uninstall appropriately.

To update, download the latest version (same URL) or wait a few days (15 or less) and it’ll prompt you to on next usage, since it uses OneUpdater.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
14 hours ago, gb0 said:

Like it! Would be cool to avoid to list already watched shorts from the list:)

Removing watched videos means there will also have to be away to get those back. That’ll add complexity to the workflow itself and its interface, and I don't take added complexity lightly.

Since the list is updated everyday, meaning a new video is added and the oldest removed, it only makes sense to keep track of watched shorts if you watch them frequently (a bunch in a row or one everyday), and if you do that there isn't much to be gained by removing watched ones — not enough to justify the extra complexity.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Update.

Better handling of setting renew time in launchd agent. There’s also a new option to reinstall the agent, to account for when daylight savings messes up the time.

To update, download the latest version (same URL) or wait a few days (15 or less) and it’ll prompt you to on next usage, since it uses OneUpdater.

Update.

You now use ⌃ to copy the video link to the clipboard. ⌘ now downloads the video with DownVid and adds it to WatchList (if available). With this option, Alfred’s window won’t close (so you can quickly download a bunch in a row).

_sharedresources will also only act if you use mpv, not vlc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi Vitor,

Recently I have noticed that short films is not working for me anymore. I have the latest version of short films and also the latest versions of youtube-dl and mpv from brew (brew directly, not brew cask).

When a short film is selected in Alfred mpv opens briefly and then closes. I have the impression that the issue comes from youtube-dl somehow not passing information properly to mpv internally. Note that when I execute on the command line:

open -a mpv youtube_address

this works perfectly.

Any idea how to fix this?

Do you have the same issue with the latest versions of your installed brews (youtube-dl, mpv)?

5 hours ago, Guy Stan said:

Hi Vitor,

Recently I have noticed that short films is not working for me anymore. I have the latest version of short films and also the latest versions of youtube-dl and mpv from brew (brew directly, not brew cask).

When a short film is selected in Alfred mpv opens briefly and then closes. I have the impression that the issue comes from youtube-dl somehow not passing information properly to mpv internally. Note that when I execute on the command line:

open -a mpv youtube_address

this works perfectly.

Any idea how to fix this?

Do you have the same issue with the latest versions of your installed brews (youtube-dl, mpv)?

For anyone else that stumbles on this, it has been answered in the repo.

• 2 weeks later...