Need help with my workflow

Hi guys

I couldn't find anywhere to contact anyone so here we are.

I want to create a workflow for one of my software demo account

In this workflow I'd like everything to start with the word "flylo" 

So for example we have a demo facebook page so I'd like to say "flylo fb" and it would open the url of the demo account fb page, the same way I'd like to do flylo tw and it will open the demo account twitter feed, but then I'll also want to do flylo time and it will open the timetable of a demo, or flylo site and it will open the main demo account site. 

I think you get the point. I'm basically able to do that by doing a different keyword each time but I think it's quite inneficient... Is there a way to create a main "keyword" (here : flylo) and then variables that go after like "fb" "tw" "site" etc...and each of those variables trigger a URL opening.

Thanks !

Max

Hi guys

I couldn't find anywhere to contact anyone so here we are.

I want to create a workflow for one of my software demo account

In this workflow I'd like everything to start with the word "flylo" 

So for example we have a demo facebook page so I'd like to say "flylo fb" and it would open the url of the demo account fb page, the same way I'd like to do flylo tw and it will open the demo account twitter feed, but then I'll also want to do flylo time and it will open the timetable of a demo, or flylo site and it will open the main demo account site. 

I think you get the point. I'm basically able to do that by doing a different keyword each time but I think it's quite inneficient... Is there a way to create a main "keyword" (here : flylo) and then variables that go after like "fb" "tw" "site" etc...and each of those variables trigger a URL opening.

Thanks !

Max

There is definitely a way to do this. You actually have two options. You could either create a workflow that had a keyword and accepted a parameter and then based on what that parameter was, it performed a certain action. This would require a small amount of easy scripting.

The other option would be to create a script filter where you pass a specifically formatted XML string to Alfred and when you enter the flylo keyword, Alfred is populated with a list of options (Twitter, Facebook, Timetable, etc). Selecting each one of those would pass a value to a script and then launch based on that.

Whichever you chose, if you need help creating them, let me know as I'd be more than happy to help.

Hey David

I would love a little help, option 1 seems like the most scalable option for me so I don't have to burden you everytime I want to make a change

Could you help me build the following workflow (see picture) so that I can then play with it, modify it and learn how to do it myself ?

Thanks !

Max

Hey David

I would love a little help, option 1 seems like the most scalable option for me so I don't have to burden you everytime I want to make a change

Could you help me build the following workflow (see picture) so that I can then play with it, modify it and learn how to do it myself ?

Thanks !

Max

http://cloud.dferg.us/ofwm

Here is a basic keyword to script workflow that you can edit to match your needs. Double click the keyword, script, or notification items to see settings for them or adjust settings.

The script item has the bash script code that reads what was input into the workflow and then runs an action based on that.

Let me know if you have any other questions or need any more help

Thanks

Oh man this is so cool ! Thanks a bunch David 

Using this script I can build a lot more now ! 

Do you mind if i ask you for another help with something then ? Probably a bit more advanced this time. If so let me know and i'll try and figure it out myself

Oh man this is so cool ! Thanks a bunch David 

Using this script I can build a lot more now ! 

Do you mind if i ask you for another help with something then ? Probably a bit more advanced this time. If so let me know and i'll try and figure it out myself

Sure, go ahead, thats what I'm here for. Not sure if you were aware of it but I an actually part of the Alfred team.

Yea I've seen that on twitter, nice congrats on the new job then.

I work for a helpdesk software company and i was wondering if it'd be possible to build a script that says zd + keyword (i.e "new") and it then triggers an API action.

So for example :

zd new

and it creates a new ticket via the API, see here

We would obviously hard code the content of the new ticket (requester, content, subject etc...) in the call but at least it would open a lot of possibilities for us during demos or training sessions or even test environments

Can you help out with something like this ?

Yea I've seen that on twitter, nice congrats on the new job then.

I work for a helpdesk software company and i was wondering if it'd be possible to build a script that says zd + keyword (i.e "new") and it then triggers an API action.

So for example :

zd new

and it creates a new ticket via the API, see here

We would obviously hard code the content of the new ticket (requester, content, subject etc...) in the call but at least it would open a lot of possibilities for us during demos or training sessions or even test environments

Can you help out with something like this ?

Ah, APIs.. they make me smile :) Yeah with an API where you pass username, password, and other hardwired stuff then yes this should be possible, and pretty easily. You would have to have username and password and other things hard coded into it and then just pass the ticket info. Or, we could make it a several step thing. We have several options on this. I'll start tinkering with it in a bit and try to get something back to you. The only downside of this is that I may have to get you to do some testing for me on something like this since I don't have access to a ZenDesk installation.

Haha why do API make you laugh ?

If you tell me how I can send you privately an account as an admin on my test account, it's full of test data and test tickets so you can use that for testing ?

I was actually able to create a demo account on ZenDesk for testing. I have to step away from the computer for a bit but I'll try to have something done for you today, as well as a few extra little tidbits for ZenDesk :)

Haha why do API make you laugh ?

If you tell me how I can send you privately an account as an admin on my test account, it's full of test data and test tickets so you can use that for testing ?

Ok, this is a good starting point. Looking for feedback on whether or not you like this or if you can think of things to improve this.

http://cloud.dferg.us/d0e6

After import, run the following 3 commands in Alfred: zduser, zdpass, zddomain. This allows you to store your username, password, and set your ZenDesk subdomain settings. Subdomain would be... when I signed up it gave me https://davidferguson.zendesk.com, davidferguson would be the subdomain.

After you have those 3 things set, you can  use zdtickets to list available tickets. I have placeholders for marking the status of tickets in that, but they don't work yet.

If you use the keyword 'zdadd' that will star the process of creating a new ZenDesk ticket. Asks for subject, comment, provides options for settings priority and type then adds the ticket to the system.

Try it out and let me know what you think so far.

Hey David,

This is really cool, it's petty much the direction we were looking for, i'm looking at the code and it's quite hard to wrap my head around actually so I have a couple questions :

1) if we "share" our settings and preferences between multiple individuals is it possible to have a different "account settings" ? (i.e email, pwd, subdomain) 

Basically is it possible to "hardcode" those settings into a file rather than having to type them ? and do you have a clever workaround to make it so that in this file we would enter all of our test accounts, i.e maybe typing zdmaxnew will create a new ticket on the account of Max and not the one of Pierre for instance.

Could you make that change to the workflow ?

2) The use case we have the most is creating test tickets to test features in our zendesk accounts for testing purposes, not really creating different tickets every time, would it be possible for you to adapt the script so that we could "pre-set" 1 or 2 ticket "templates" i.e (pre set, requester, subject, description, type, priority, content etc...) in a script, so really hardcoded rather than dynamic ? That way when we build a feature it's litteraly all about just typing "zdnewtkt" and it creates a new ticket. We can then type this as many times as we need to create 5/6 tickets for testing purposes. 

Based on this we will easily be able I hope to see how you built your script and adapt it for other API calls 

I don't know how much I can bother you with so I hope this is still something you can do ! otherwise don't worry you've already helped a lot !

Thanks 

Max

Hey David,

This is really cool, it's petty much the direction we were looking for, i'm looking at the code and it's quite hard to wrap my head around actually so I have a couple questions :

1) if we "share" our settings and preferences between multiple individuals is it possible to have a different "account settings" ? (i.e email, pwd, subdomain) 

Basically is it possible to "hardcode" those settings into a file rather than having to type them ? and do you have a clever workaround to make it so that in this file we would enter all of our test accounts, i.e maybe typing zdmaxnew will create a new ticket on the account of Max and not the one of Pierre for instance.

Could you make that change to the workflow ?

2) The use case we have the most is creating test tickets to test features in our zendesk accounts for testing purposes, not really creating different tickets every time, would it be possible for you to adapt the script so that we could "pre-set" 1 or 2 ticket "templates" i.e (pre set, requester, subject, description, type, priority, content etc...) in a script, so really hardcoded rather than dynamic ? That way when we build a feature it's litteraly all about just typing "zdnewtkt" and it creates a new ticket. We can then type this as many times as we need to create 5/6 tickets for testing purposes. 

Based on this we will easily be able I hope to see how you built your script and adapt it for other API calls 

I don't know how much I can bother you with so I hope this is still something you can do ! otherwise don't worry you've already helped a lot !

Thanks 

Max

Are you looking to change account settings over and over on a single machine or are you talking about on multiple computers? Those settings are saved inside the workflow folder so, the settings stick to your profile. Login as another user, they would have their own settings. Another computer, would have their own settings. I think you get the point.

Yeah we could definitely do that. Sorry I didn't understand the original requirement and thought you were wanting to be able to enter in new tickets with info. We could definitely do it with hardcoded values. We could also make it so that you could enter a number (e.g. 5) and have it create 5 new tickets.

Yea not a problem I probably wasn't clear enough, it'd be awesome to add a number variable to create X test tickets that would allow us to very quickly test workflows when needed or during demos even.

As for the settings, just to clarify, we have a shared dropbox folder with the team, where we put our synced preferences folders so whenever a member of the team adds a workflow or a search others can benefit from it. With that in mind do you think we need to hardcode each of our test accounts in a file and call it with a variable or can each of us have a test account set up on our machine even if the workflows are shared ?

By the way it's sunday ! You should be out with your family not working on my boring workflows :)

Yea not a problem I probably wasn't clear enough, it'd be awesome to add a number variable to create X test tickets that would allow us to very quickly test workflows when needed or during demos even.

As for the settings, just to clarify, we have a shared dropbox folder with the team, where we put our synced preferences folders so whenever a member of the team adds a workflow or a search others can benefit from it. With that in mind do you think we need to hardcode each of our test accounts in a file and call it with a variable or can each of us have a test account set up on our machine even if the workflows are shared ?

By the way it's sunday ! You should be out with your family not working on my boring workflows :)

Until the launch stuff slows down, I'm staying on this pretty regular. :)

I'll check into making it add X new tickets. That should be easy. 

For the settings, I could make it so that it doesn't write the settings to the workflow folder. Typically, my workflows class I use also creates 2 local folders. One in the ~/Library/Cache folder for volatile data, and one in ~/Library/Application Support/Alfred 2/Workflow Data/ for non-volatile data. If I write the settings there then, even if you share the workflow via Dropbox, the settings are still saved per user account on the machine so settings wouldn't be overwritten. Make sense?

Hey David

Any luck on this ?

I can definitely get it working, just haven't gotten around to in the last few days. I'll try to knock it out today. Thanks for staying on top of me. There's always so much going on that I know I'm likely to forget :)

Hey David

thanks that looks awesome, can you just confirm where and how do I harcode values such as requester, subject, comment etc... : 

Is it here ? : https://www.evernote.com/shard/s103/sh/e8ba49dd-b90e-425f-bc5b-21896d6d7f55/9fe487c0cffbeaa780af26ae0e794a08

Can I remove the $inc or is it important ?

$inc is just a number it puts in so it makes a new ticket with the subject of "New Ticket 0", "New Ticket 1", etc..

• 1 year later...