Recently used files by an macOS App [Alfred 3]

Hi everyone,

I created a workflow to work with the macOS recently used files system. It's essentially the same function like Alfreds "left arrow key"-Gesture to navigate to the recently used files by an App… but without the arrow key and the items appear directly on the keyword/name of the application. ;-)

You can also filter down the results using text input. 

alfred-recent.png

After installing the Workflow you need to configure the Apps you want it to work with yourself. As Examples I included a few Apps, like TextEdit, MindNode and iA Writer.

You can download the Workflow here: https://github.com/stroebjo/alfred-recent/releases

Hope it's useful to someone.

Any feedback is appreciated!

• 8 months later...

Hi, thanks for a great workflow

Now I just need to make it work.

Since I'm actually looking for a recent files-workflow for MindNode, I would assume that your workflow would work right out of the box.

But it doesn't. Since it's MindNode, should I do any changes to your workflow?

Hi carlsen,

the workflow works with MindNode (actually MindNode was the main reason I created id!). :) 

When you open MindNode do you have entries in the menu File > Recent entries? That where the workflow get's it data from. There is a macOS preference to disable recent files. 

• 7 months later...

Workflow not working after High Sierra update.

This is what's happening:

37524271-1b88c9d6-2908-11e8-8c91-189f697

And the Error Log:
Starting debug for 'Recently used files by an App'

[2018-03-16 12:32:53][input.scriptfilter] Queuing argument ''
[2018-03-16 12:32:53][input.scriptfilter] Script with argument '(null)' finished
[2018-03-16 12:32:53][ERROR: input.scriptfilter] Code 1: Traceback (most recent call last):
File "./recent.py", line 59, in
items = json.loads(stdout)
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/json/init.py", line 338, in loads
return _default_decoder.decode(s)
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/json/decoder.py", line 366, in decode
obj, end = self.raw_decode(s, idx=_w(s, 0).end())
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/json/decoder.py", line 384, in raw_decode
raise ValueError("No JSON object could be decoded")
ValueError: No JSON object could be decoded