Request: DropBox upload of a .zipped File

Hey alfred community :)

I just got used to some of the new alfred workflows and I already think about some that I would love to use. Unfortunately, I'm not the best scripter nor do I have any experience creating some of these little tasks.

I found an older workflow that enabled me to upload one file to the dropbox public folder and copied the (shortened) url to the clipboard. My wish would be that I could also choose a folder/file or maybe a bunch of files (which wouldn't be a must have feature since the folder thing should do the job), zip that folder or that file, move it to the public folder and copy the (shortened) link to the clipboard.

Such a workflow would just be amazing to use and I think it would be the best way to handle this little dropbox problem. The file could either be chosen by the built in Alfred Finder or a global hotkey.

Thank you guys for reading that post and even thinking about if you would give it a try or not :)

Best regards from Germany,

MrMuetze

Hey alfred community :)

I just got used to some of the new alfred workflows and I already think about some that I would love to use. Unfortunately, I'm not the best scripter nor do I have any experience creating some of these little tasks.

I found an older workflow that enabled me to upload one file to the dropbox public folder and copied the (shortened) url to the clipboard. My wish would be that I could also choose a folder/file or maybe a bunch of files (which wouldn't be a must have feature since the folder thing should do the job), zip that folder or that file, move it to the public folder and copy the (shortened) link to the clipboard.

Such a workflow would just be amazing to use and I think it would be the best way to handle this little dropbox problem. The file could either be chosen by the built in Alfred Finder or a global hotkey.

Thank you guys for reading that post and even thinking about if you would give it a try or not :)

Best regards from Germany,

MrMuetze

This could be created but its going to take a little more time than I currently have to dedicate to one thing. With the launch, I'm crazy busy trying to keep up with supporting everyone right now. This would be done by using a file filter (allowing multiple files so you could use the file buffer), then make it zip all those up and get the link. I know that doesn't help you a whole lot right now but, if someone else doesn't step in and help you in a few days, hit me up again and I'll see if I can get it created for you.

That's actually my workaround right now :)

I was just looking for some "droplr" like replacement without having to create another account and download another app. Just have some files and use one simple Alfred workflow to get everything done. An easy way to share it with someone. Two workflows are great, but one would be superior ;) But I don't want to ask you guys to create that workflow just for me :) Just if you have time and find it useful for yourselfs.

Best regards,

MrMuetze

Edited by MrMuetze

That's actually my workaround right now :)

I was just looking for some "droplr" like replacement without having to create another account and download another app. Just have some files and use one simple Alfred workflow to get everything done. An easy way to share it with someone. Two workflows are great, but one would be superior ;) But I don't want to ask you guys to create that workflow just for me :) Just if you have time and find it useful for yourselfs.

Best regards,

MrMuetze

In resume:

1. zip file(s)/folder(s)
  2. move to Dropbox Public folder
  3. copy the shortened link to the clipboard

Right?

I think I can mix the two workflows together. I’ll post here a test version as soon as possible. :)

In resume:

1. zip file(s)/folder(s)
  2. move to Dropbox Public folder
  3. copy the shortened link to the clipboard

Right?

I think I can mix the two workflows together. I’ll post here a test version as soon as possible. :)

That sounds about right :-)

Maybe two options, one with zipping other for single files without compressing. Would be awesome!

Here is a version to test but first consider:

• The workflow assumes it is a normal Dropbox installation so the public path would be like "/Users/YourName/Dropbox/Public/". I can make it configurable later after our tests.
  • The workflow will ask for the Dropbox Public folder ID
  • There is no way to edit the ID right now (please type it carefully)
  • Test redundant files first though the workflow does not delete or move the original files
  • Shortened URL is a bit tricky because if the file is synching then it does not exist in Dropbox yet. I found out that some services checks if the file exists before making the URL. The service used in the workflow produced the best results.

Download here.

Note: hotkey, keyword and File Actions are ready to test. :)

Edited by Carlos-Sz

Thanks for that first version. Though I have the problem that he isn't asking me for my DropBox ID. Tried it with the finder command and also the shortcut. (with removing and re adding the workflow) It says "zip", but doesn't do anything else besides that (is not moving the zipped file to the public folder either).

But thanks for that first version, I'm looking forward to test the next one ;)

MrMuetze

Edit: Are these zip Files temporarily saved at some point? Because I created lots of them :D Maybe I could get rid of some of them.

Edited by MrMuetze

Thanks for that first version. Though I have the problem that he isn't asking me for my DropBox ID. Tried it with the finder command and also the shortcut. (with removing and re adding the workflow) It says "zip", but doesn't do anything else besides that (is not moving the zipped file to the public folder either).

But thanks for that first version, I'm looking forward to test the next one ;)

MrMuetze

Edit: Are these zip Files temporarily saved at some point? Because I created lots of them :D Maybe I could get rid of some of them.

I have uploaded a new version slowing the Dropbox ID checking a bit. Can you please try it?

Here It works every time (from Alfred keyword and hotkey).

Finally, the notification you got says something went wrong even before zipping files. 

I think I found out that it is not working if I select files on the desktop via the mac finder. It says "error: select items in finder".

Tried it with some other files in my user folder and it worked perfectly with the hotkey. Also got the shortened link! I'm going to test it a little bit more.

I think I found out that it is not working if I select files on the desktop via the mac finder. It says "error: select items in finder".

Tried it with some other files in my user folder and it worked perfectly with the hotkey. Also got the shortened link! I'm going to test it a little bit more.

Great. I’ll also make some tests. If everything is OK I’ll update the code so the user will set the Public folder (due unusual Dropbox installation, if it is even possible) and a way to reset the settings.

Strange, now it works with desktop files like there has never been a problem before :) I like it.

Has the dropbox id check problem something to do with a slow internet connection (or maybe unstable?). Right now I'm just connected over UMTS.

Great.

The workflow only access the internet when making the shortened URL. The Dropbox ID is a local procedure. :)

• 1 year later...

I got  "blocked" in the notification center when I use this workflow...  any ideas?

Thanks!

Unfortunately glo.li service is not available anymore.

I can’t update the workflow right now but you can edit both zip_zipdropbox.scpt and zip_alf_zipdropbox.scpt files:

Find:

try
	set tshell to "curl  http://www.glo.li/toolbarshort.php?url=" & theURL & " | textutil -stdin -stdout -convert txt "
	set theglowurl to (do shell script tshell)
	set endchar to (offset of return in theglowurl) - 1
	set theRes to text 1 thru endchar of theglowurl
	return theRes
on error
	return theURL
end try

Replace:

return theURL
  • 1 month later...

Ouch, with your new build I got that it is an incompatible workflow (I am using 2.3

8th May 2014)

OK. Here is a new workflow and it is now Zip to Dropbox.

Please, make some tests before using it for good. Consider it as a beta.

The first time you run the workflow you will have to configure it. Just follow the steps which are:

1. Select the Dropbox public folder, then
  2. Type your Dropbox public folder ID

Download 0.1 beta