I have the same problem as edbro, although I inserted the name of the account where I want the notes to be saved in the workflow as described in the first post. However, the notes will always be saved in a different account. If it is possible to get this working, it would be a brilliant workflow and much of use I suppose. 

I have the same problem as edbro, although I inserted the name of the account where I want the notes to be saved in the workflow as described in the first post. However, the notes will always be saved in a different account. If it is possible to get this working, it would be a brilliant workflow and much of use I suppose. 

I deleted my post as I no longer have the problem. After you mentioning setting the account name in the applescript, I did that and now it works. I missed that the first time. 

I'm replying to you because I didn't want your post hanging there referencing a post that doesn't exist.

I have checked and I only have one 'Notes' workflow. I downloaded the new workflow you linked and I still keep getting the prompt to update the workflow. It only happens in your workflow so I don't really know what might be the cause of that.

not sure why this happens to you, but if you  edit the workflow, double-click the "n" widget and then where it says property shouldCheckForUpdates : true, change "true" to "false".

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Great workflow, thank you very much !

I did a small "tweak" by duplicating the n script filter, changing the keyword to nw and specifying my folder for work related stuff. This way the usual n keyword creates a notes in my Notes folder. The nw creates one in my work folder.

By the way, I downloaded it from your bit.ly link here. Is it the latest version ? It is rated as v5, when it is v8 on packal.org, but this one has it last update from 2014.

Edited by MEs
On 17/07/2016 at 5:21 PM, rickroberts said:

Typing 

n space

gives me the Add Note icon, but as soon as I continue typing, I just get a Google search. What’s wrong?

You may be using the wrong version of the workflow. On the first post there's an icloud version and a non-icloud version, could you check you have the correct one?

On 02/07/2016 at 4:32 PM, edbro said:

I deleted my post as I no longer have the problem. After you mentioning setting the account name in the applescript, I did that and now it works. I missed that the first time. 

I'm replying to you because I didn't want your post hanging there referencing a post that doesn't exist.

Yeah that's the right one. I don't maintain the packal page any more, it probably refers to the pre-icloud version.

• 3 weeks later...

Is there a way to use this workflow to append text to an existing note?  

I tend to use a note within notes.app titled "done" as a living doc that contains everything I've done in a given week.  I'd love to be able to quickly append items to the end of the "done" note using Alfred.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi @surrealroad - I love the workflow, and have found it extremely helpful!!

Quick question: Is there any way to use your workflow to open a specific iCloud folder in Notes?

In other words, instead of searching for text in all of the notes, is it possible to just search for folder names (and then open the Notes.app to the first note in that folder)? If not, are there any simple modifications that might be done to the workflow to add this functionality?

While it doesn't necessarily need to work in this manner, an example of this functionality can be seen in Carlos's Evernote workflow by adding the @ character (Workflow discussion here). I don't care if it looks as nice as Carlos's, I was just hoping to find some way of opening a folder instead of a specific note (i.e., by opening the first note in a specified folder).

Thanks for all of your help!!

Edited by Jasondm007
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, but the "ns" command won't work. If I type ns, it shows me the description stating I can search in Notes app. But as soon as I add a letter (for ex : ns b), it switched to default Alfred search.

I redownloaded the workflow, no change.

Any idea ?

EDIT : I changed the "n" to "ns" to trigger the search notes feature. Again, using the workflow "as is" with the n trigger gives me the same result.

A quick GIF to show the issue.

Notes.gif

Edited by MEs
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 23.7.2017 at 6:49 AM, MEs said:

Hi,

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, but the "ns" command won't work. If I type ns, it shows me the description stating I can search in Notes app. But as soon as I add a letter (for ex : ns b), it switched to default Alfred search.

I redownloaded the workflow, no change.

Any idea ?

EDIT : I changed the "n" to "ns" to trigger the search notes feature. Again, using the workflow "as is" with the n trigger gives me the same result.

A quick GIF to show the issue.

Notes.gif

I have the same issue with the workflow on macOS 10.13 Beta (17A358a).

• 1 month later...
On 07/10/2017 at 3:20 PM, hangyi said:

Can't search Notes in macOS High Sierra

Looks like Apple changed the way notes are stored (they're now in a single database file), so the current method of searching them no longer works. There might be a way to make it work, but I'll need to do some research.

I'm assuming there's no way to append to an existing note. I'd like to be able to just have one note that I'm always adding to. Sort of like a checklist that I keep up to date quickly. Ideally, it'd be neat to have your notes added to "default" note that you've created, but then have an option to create a new note by holding down a modifier key.

Example: n remember the milk > remember the milk as been appended to Note: Checklist

Especially with the new features in the notes app, I could see it being very awesome as a kind of "flow of ideas" manager that doesn't require a bunch of keywords to get what you need out of it.

@mburchett2 If you're not attached to the Notes app, and are simply looking for a text file you can add to, which can be synced between devices using Dropbox, then the Write Text Output object may be sufficient. You can append to the same note stored in a Dropbox folder.

If that interests you, take a look at the "Simple To-Do List" built-in example workflow (where I've included three lists, which you can customise to your own needs) and the Write Text Output page:

https://www.alfredapp.com/help/workflows/outputs/write-file/

Cheers,
Vero

Ah yeah, I tried that. I was hoping for something a little more rich and that I can use with my iPhone when on the go, so quick sketches and checklists are easy to use on my mobile while I can quickly add to while on my mac. Seems like the Notes app is this weirdly feature rich, but neglected application that Apple kind of wants to make cool, but then doesn't make it easy to customize or quickly access.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...