shira

What's the best way to handle favorite URLs in Alfred?

How do people handle frequently-used URLs in Alfred? I handle these in two ways:

1. Use a workflow that reads from your browser favorites.

2. Define a custom search for the URL (with our without parameters) so I can just open it with a keyword.

Option 1 works but I don't like having to remember to type the workflow keyword first. Instead I end up doing Option 2 for my most commonly used urls so I can open them quickly, but it's annoying to have to define each one individually.

If I type a URL in Alfred, then it will remember next time I start typing the same URL and suggest it. But often I type the URL directly in the browser, and then Alfred doesn't have access to it. Ideally I could give Alfred access to my browser's history folder and let it intelligently compile a list of sites I actually visit. 

Anyway, how do most people do this?

13 minutes ago, shira said:

If I type a URL in Alfred, then it will remember next time I start typing the same URL and suggest it.

That’s my method.

14 minutes ago, shira said:

But often I type the URL directly in the browser, and then Alfred doesn't have access to it.

⌘L ⌘C ⌃␣ ⌘V ↩. Meaning: copy the URL and action it in Alfred, so it gets access to it. It’s a one time thing for each URL, if I want Alfred to remember it.

16 minutes ago, shira said:

Ideally I could give Alfred access to my browser's history folder and let it intelligently compile a list of sites I actually visit.

If you use Safari, you can give Alfred access to your bookmarks. Alfred Preferences → Features → Default Results. If you use Chrome, there are workflows for that.

I have the Chrome bookmark workflow, but I dislike having to remember to type the workflow prefix, since I really shouldn't have to remember whether or not a site happens to be in my bookmarks before I search for it. I'd rather bookmarks just populate the search results automatically. Maybe the answer is to use some other third-party thing (Xmarks?) to sync my Chrome bookmarks to Safari?