vitor

Open office hours for talking Alfred

Inspired by Zach Lieberman, I’d like to try open office hours. I’ve never hosted or participated in any, so it’ll be a learning experience for me as well.

The goal is discussing Alfred (or anything you want, really). I’m not an extraordinary developer, but I do have extensive experience with Alfred and coming up with solutions to make workflows do what we need. We may or may not talk code, but time would likely be better spent discussing how to make your ideas fit a Workflow.

If you’re interested, reply to this post, send me a direct forum message, or tweet at me. Tell me if you have preferred days of the week and times. I’m in Lisbon (Portugal), so please give me your times in GMT (and if it falls at 5AM, you’ll know those aren’t suitable). Also include if you’d like to discuss alone or are fine with other people joining in. If you don’t have anything to talk about and just want to assist, that’s also fine; just say so and you can sit in on the conversations with the people that say they are fine with others joining (if any).

After (if) I get a few people interested, we can schedule a day and times from there. I don’t have a Skype account, so we’ll talk via appear.in. It’s like Skype, but you don’t need an account or installing anything, just a web browser. It also allows easy screen sharing via a Chrome extension that can be installed on demand. It supports up to eight people at once.

Emulating Zach, I’m thinking twenty to thirty minutes per person, over a couple of hours. At least for the first time, having just a few people might be best, to know what works and doesn’t.

Welcome @Technoshaman,

My available time has been a bit tighter lately. Still, I’d like a few more interested people before I do it.

Thank you for the interest.

18 hours ago, deanishe said:

Oh, is it a group meeting kind of thing?

The idea was one-on-one. You don’t need my help with Workflows!

18 hours ago, nikivi said:

Would love to join too. ?

You were the first to contact me when I first opened the issue.

We could all schedule a group meeting. Though it would no longer be open office hours, since with the exception of @Technoshaman (whose Alfred proficiency I’m not familiar with) we’re all pretty versed in it already and would likely just take the time to goof off!

On a tangential note, I’ve noticed recently my goto (appear.in) as lowered the number of participants at a time from 8 to 4, and I haven’t been keeping up with the alternatives.

3 hours ago, vitor said:

You don’t need my help with Workflows!

You can teach me how to make icons that don't suck!