Most Workflows Don't Work [Resolved]

Any workflow that needs to search or return some results doesn't work. It just hangs with no results.

The ones I'm having problems with, Rdio, Transmit, Weather, Lipsum, Chrome Bookmarks,

Here are a few screenshots

Screen%20Shot%202013-03-16%20at%2011.20.

Screen%20Shot%202013-03-16%20at%2010.05.

Using OS X 10.8.2

I found this error in console.app

Process:         php [2699]
Path:            /usr/bin/php
Identifier:      php
Version:         79
Code Type:       X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process:  Alfred 2 [823]
User ID:         501

Date/Time:       2013-03-16 11:52:38.568 -0400
OS Version:      Mac OS X 10.8.2 (12C60)
Report Version:  10

Crashed Thread:  0

Exception Type:  EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000

Application Specific Information:
dyld: launch, loading dependent libraries

Dyld Error Message:
  Library not loaded: /usr/lib/libpq.5.dylib
  Referenced from: /usr/bin/php
  Reason: image not found

Binary Images:
       0x1062e2000 -        0x106c76ff7  php (79) <8A3040DB-7746-3A34-A994-8B15EDFC2502> /usr/bin/php
       0x106d7c000 -        0x106d9eff7  libedit.3.dylib (31) <F5AAB9A7-4F6A-3733-9665-D2FF0D222B39> /usr/lib/libedit.3.dylib
    0x7fff65ee2000 -     0x7fff65f1693f  dyld (210.2.3) <A40597AA-5529-3337-8C09-D8A014EB1578> /usr/lib/dyld
    0x7fff8acac000 -     0x7fff8acbeff7  libz.1.dylib (43) <2A1551E8-A272-3DE5-B692-955974FE1416> /usr/lib/libz.1.dylib
    0x7fff8ae01000 -     0x7fff8ae39fff  libncurses.5.4.dylib (37.3) <68D5B5F5-8252-3F1E-AFF1-C6AFE145DBC1> /usr/lib/libncurses.5.4.dylib
    0x7fff8b09b000 -     0x7fff8b0a8fff  libexslt.0.dylib (11.3) <271ACF5E-D832-31EC-AC76-74E130F80951> /usr/lib/libexslt.0.dylib
    0x7fff8d44c000 -     0x7fff8d46bff7  libresolv.9.dylib (51) <0882DC2D-A892-31FF-AD8C-0BB518C48B23> /usr/lib/libresolv.9.dylib
    0x7fff90e12000 -     0x7fff90e4afff  libtidy.A.dylib (15.10) <9009156B-84F5-3781-BFCB-B409B538CD18> /usr/lib/libtidy.A.dylib

I don't know much about this but it seems to be referencing the postgresql library "/usr/lib/libpq.5.dylib" which can't be found. I checked via terminal and I have the library file "libpq.5.4.dylib" in /usr/lib/

So Alfred/workflows is looking for an older version unless I'm reading this wrong.

If anybody knows what to do next, that would be great.

I don't know much about this but it seems to be referencing the postgresql library "/usr/lib/libpq.5.dylib" which can't be found. I checked via terminal and I have the library file "libpq.5.4.dylib" in /usr/lib/

So Alfred/workflows is looking for an older version unless I'm reading this wrong.

If anybody knows what to do next, that would be great.

Ok I know this is going to seem like a series of stupid questions, I apologize, but I'm just trying to eliminate simple things first because several of these workflows do extremely basic things and shouldn't be causing issues. The Lipsum workflow especially is extremely simple.

We can start with the lipsum workflow first.

1. Did you have an internet connection at the time of trying this? This one grabs lipsum text from lipsum.com

2. Are you using some form of proxy that may would block this workflow from accessing that site?

3. Can you verify that curl is working by running the following command from the terminal?

curl http://lipsum.com/feed/json -d what=paras -d amount=3 -d start=no

That should return a json encoded string back to you with 3 paragraphs in it.

4. Can you verify that PHP is installed and working? Try something similar from terminal like...

php -r 'echo "PHP seems to be working ok from the command line";'

It should print back out that PHP seems to be working.

Let me know your findings from these few things and we'll try to get to the bottom of your issues.

Thanks

php -r 'echo "PHP seems to be working ok from the command line";' 
dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/lib/libpq.5.dylib
  Referenced from: /usr/bin/php
  Reason: image not found
Trace/BPT trap: 5

It's definitely my PHP.

As I mentioned before, in my /usr/lib folder I have the .dylib file libpq.5.4.dylib instead of the above. Do I just rename this? Wondering how this got changed/screwed up before I just rename the file to even test.

curl works fine from your command, the php does not.

I do have an internet connection. I thought maybe it was LittleSnitch I'm using, but they always shows an alert with an option to allow/disallow when an internet connection is happening.

Edited by LiamW

Yikes, um.. I'll have to look into that and see if there is a way to repair the default PHP installation. I would have thought most of that stuff would have had permissions set appropriately to keep you from messing anything up. Let me look into this a bit and get back with you if that's ok?

Thank's for helping troubleshoot it

I appreciate the effort.

I've never installed another version of PHP or messed around with it. I've installed postgresql before though with the regular mac installer and now using Postgres.app. That's the only thing I can think of that I've configured relating to this.

I also cannot get "Weather" workflow to work. PHP appears to be installed (according to php -r 'echo "PHP seems to be working ok from the command line";'). 

When I enter "Weather" and then select "Set Location" to "Toronto, Canada", Growl reports "Weather, Default location saved."

But when I try Forecast, the response from Alfred is "No default weather location has been set."

In Console, I get the following:

3/16/13 6:04:39 PM    defaults[8065]    
The domain/default pair of (/Users/ronaldgold/Library/Application Support/Alfred 2/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/user.workflow.5B1AE330-7E58-4E7A-90E4-C6845872E60A/info.plist, bundleid) does not exist

Weather did not work for me with Alfred v2.0 and now v2.0.1 b173.

I also cannot get "Weather" workflow to work. PHP appears to be installed (according to php -r 'echo "PHP seems to be working ok from the command line";'). 

When I enter "Weather" and then select "Set Location" to "Toronto, Canada", Growl reports "Weather, Default location saved."

But when I try Forecast, the response from Alfred is "No default weather location has been set."

In Console, I get the following:

3/16/13 6:04:39 PM    defaults[8065]    
The domain/default pair of (/Users/ronaldgold/Library/Application Support/Alfred 2/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/user.workflow.5B1AE330-7E58-4E7A-90E4-C6845872E60A/info.plist, bundleid) does not exist

Weather did not work for me with Alfred v2.0 and now v2.0.1 b173.

Interesting.. All that is doing is trying to read the workflow bundle id so it can create a matching folder for that workflow in the cache and workflows data folder. The workflows data folder is where the info on the default location is stored. So, if it can't read that, it can't build the path to the workflows data folder, so it may never actually be creating the settings file....

Can you check something for me? 

/Users/ronaldgold/Library/Application Support/Alfred 2/Workflow Data/jdfwarrior.weather/settings.plist

Does that file or the jdfwarrior.weather folder even exist?

The folder Workflow Data does exist, but there is no file "jdwarrior.weather/settings.plist. The only file in the Workflow Data folder is:

"/Users/ronaldgold/Library/Application Support/Alfred 2/Workflow Data/settings.plist.plist"

the file "settings.plist.plist" consists of the following:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>default.location</key>
    <string>/q/zmw:00000.1.71265</string>
    <key>preferred.unit</key>
    <string>F</string>
</dict>
</plist>

The folder Workflow Data does exist, but there is no file "jdwarrior.weather/settings.plist. The only file in the Workflow Data folder is:

"/Users/ronaldgold/Library/Application Support/Alfred 2/Workflow Data/settings.plist.plist"

the file "settings.plist.plist" consists of the following:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>default.location</key>
    <string>/q/zmw:00000.1.71265</string>
    <key>preferred.unit</key>
    <string>F</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Which is the file I'm looking for. So for some reason it isn't reading the bundleid, didn't create the folder, and so when it looks in that folder for the plist file, it never finds it. Therefore always thinking that you haven't set a location..

Now the next task is finding out why it isn't reading the bundleid..

I'm reinstalling mountain lion as I ran onyx and there were unrepairable disk errors. I've had a few other issues with it so now with this php mess I'm just going to bite the bullet. I have time machine so not a huge deal, just annoying.

I'll keep you posted but for now don't worry about it. Thanks

Eureka. I think I got it to work, using the suggestion from one of the posts in the Workflow Forum on the Weather Workflow. In the folder

"/Users/ronaldgold/Library/Application Support/Alfred 2/Workflow Data/settings.plist.plist", since there was no file named "settings.plist", I created a blank file named "settings.plist" with TextWrangler, saved it to the Workflow Data folder. I then set weather location and forecast now works.

Why?

Eureka. I think I got it to work, using the suggestion from one of the posts in the Workflow Forum on the Weather Workflow. In the folder "/Users/ronaldgold/Library/Application Support/Alfred 2/Workflow Data/settings.plist.plist", since there was no file named "settings.plist", I created a blank file named "settings.plist" with TextWrangler, saved it to the Workflow Data folder. I then set weather location and forecast now works. Why?

This is really strange and I'm wondering if this is a Snow Leopard issue for some reason but I'm not sure that it would be. Several have mentioned that it didn't work. As noted in the other forum, the settings file wasn't there. Its because when using my Workflows class that I use, it reads the bundleid out of the workflows info.plist file and then creates data folders for that workflow to store data. It should create.. ~/Library/Application Support/Alfred 2/Workflow Data/jdfwarrior.weather/ and then when you set your default location, create the settings.plist inside of that folder. For some reason (maybe isolated to Snow Leopard), it's not reading the info.plist and grabbing the bundleid, which is used to create the folder. Therefore the folder never gets created, the settings.plist doesn't show up in the correct location, and so the workflow thinks you haven't set one. I'll put out an update in a day or two to resolve this. I'll just move the settings back to the workflow folder.

If anyone else is having this problem and would rather not reinstall OS X, running the following in terminal may help:

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libpq.5.4.dylib /usr/lib/libpq.5.dylib

Change libpq.5.4.dylib to whatever is on your system eg libpq.5.3.dylib