(faster) Menu Search

58f5bbf703fc8_ScreenShot2017-04-18at12_39_32PM.png.6407a7a501d033462c2e363e9b709a59.png

I have re-implemented ctwise's excellent implementation of the Menu Search workflow in Swift.

This version is ever so slightly faster (at least on my machine :)) - YMMV.

Requires OSX 10.7+

↓ Download

Refer Github README page for up-to-date information.

Usage

Type m in Alfred to list menu bar items for front most application You can filter menu items by name, or do a fuzzy search.

E.g

• m new tab will match the menu item New Tab
  • m cw will match the menu item Close Window

Setup

Note that Accessibility must be enabled for Alfred in order for this to work correctly.

For example, in macOS Sierra, this is configured using the Security and Privacy preference pane, under the Privacy tab with the Accessibility section selected. Alfred must be included in the list of apps allowed to control your computer. This step is required for the workflow to generate the list of menu items, and also click on a specific menu item. 

Here's a snapshot of what the preference pane might look like in macOS Sierra.

59057e636ca17_ScreenShot2017-04-30at11_26_16AM.png.fa2fd040b690744132ac9ab77c87a0a7.png

Edited by Benzi
Update with latest download links, and repo.

You need to recompile using static linking. It's requiring a dynalib that I don't have:

Code 6: dyld: Library not loaded: @rpath/libswiftAppKit.dylib

Referenced from: /Users/raguay/Dropbox (Personal)/Richard/rag/Alfred/Sync/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/user.workflow.85FE278A-FF20-4A2A-919E-8DE7DC7D1C62/./menu

Reason: image not found

11 hours ago, raguay.customct said:

You need to recompile using static linking. It's requiring a dynalib that I don't have:

Code 6: dyld: Library not loaded: @rpath/libswiftAppKit.dylib

Referenced from: /Users/raguay/Dropbox (Personal)/Richard/rag/Alfred/Sync/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/user.workflow.85FE278A-FF20-4A2A-919E-8DE7DC7D1C62/./menu

Reason: image not found

I updated the workflow - could you re-download and check if possible?

4 hours ago, raguay.customct said:

Thanks. It is working now. What framework are you using for the automation. I love that it is getting services too!

Nothing out of the ordinary - just the default AX... accessibility stuff from Apple.  

PS: The code is included in the workflow (also Github); mostly a port of @ctwise's objC code into Swift.

This is great, thank you! I think the menu search workflow is one of the most powerful workflows. On my system (macOS 10.12.4, Alfred 3.3.2) your new implementation is quite much faster, and adding the power of fuzzy search makes it even more useful.

Great workflow! Definitely faster than the original one. Thank you!

However, to make it even faster, I suggest applying the following Run Behavior settings to the script filter:

• Queue Mode: Terminate previous script
  • Queue Delay: Immediately after each character typed

I also found the icons a bit too dark to my taste and replaced them with the ones attached, if anyone wants them.

icon.png

apple-icon.png

v1.2 - Fully native menu clicking, removed AppleScript based solution

Well, I removed the AppleScript part of the workflow that automates the actual menu clicking, and replaced it with native code. (This is slightly faster, but not perceptibly so.)

Also, @targumanu's suggestion to terminate previous script for the run behaviour is now the default setting.

3 hours ago, nhat said:

Thanks for the excellent workflow. You made it really snappy and a joy to use :)

You're welcome. Although you might want to re-download because I've tried to make it even more snappier

v1.4 - Caching

Menu results are cached for a very short duration, resulting in even faster filtering of menu items.

Check it out!

@BenziLove your work, but I ran into problem that only some of the menu item is available. Somehow the workflow didn't get all the item.

Most noticeable in "Edit" menu. It there a way to troubleshoot? I am on Sierra with workflow version 1.4

for example in "safari",  "copy" "paste" doesn't work (in fact non of the app can get "copy", "paste" to show up)

Also possible exclude the menu item from the "apple menu icon"? it clutter up the result (not a big deal really)

Thanks !!

Edited by dunkaroo

@dunkaroo That's a bit odd. 

edit - see my post after this one as well

Troubleshooting

A - What gets displayed when you type in "m copy" into Alfred? Is it 'No menu items'?

B - Can you access Alfred's cache folder? In my case it is 

/Users/benzi/Library/Caches/com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred-3/Workflow Data/com.folded-paper.menu-bar-search/

You will need to change that path with your username. In the cache folder, two files will be created for every app once you trigger Menu Search for that app. For example, for TextEdit, it would be: 

1. com.apple.TextEdit.items.txt
  2. com.apple.TextEdit.txt

Can you check if these files get created and if so share me the contents of these two text files? For this step, the Script Filter must have the default settings.

C - If you can edit the workflow, change the Script Filter command to the following, one option at a time and see if it makes any difference:

# option 1
./menu -query "{query}"

# option 2
./menu -async -query "{query}"

D - Delete all files from your cache folder and try again

E - Try downloading the latest version (see below) and see if it makes any difference.

Ignoring Apple menu items

If you re-download and install v1.4.4, I have included a new option to ignore the Apple menu items. You need to edit your workflow manually include this setting as it is not switched on by default. Open up the Script Filter, and change:

./menu -async -cache 10 -query "{query}"

to

./menu -async -cache 10 -no-apple-menu -query "{query}"

This should prevent apple menu items from showing up.

Edited by Benzi

@dunkaroo 

ALSO

You need to have text selected in the app for the Copy to show up / and something pasteable in the clipboard for Paste to appear.

This is because the menu search only searches and displays actionable menu items. You cannot copy if nothing is selected.

Edited by Benzi
  • Benzi changed the title to (faster) Menu Search

I also experienced one case where not all menu items were found, using the app BibDesk. The old menu bar search workflow, as part of the workflow "Key Clue" finds some menu items that are not shown by this new workflow (showing "No menu items"), e.g. the items that are subcommands to the "Copy As" item. Sorry but I did not have time to go through steps B-D outlined above (I have the latest version so step E is done) now, but wanted to quickly inform you about this.

Edited by cands
1 hour ago, cands said:

I also experienced one case where not all menu items were found, using the app BibDesk. The old menu bar search workflow, as part of the workflow "Key Clue" finds some menu items that are not shown by this new workflow (showing "No menu items"), e.g. the items that are subcommands to the "Copy As" item. Sorry but I did not have time to go through steps B-D outlined above (I have the latest version so step E is done) now, but wanted to quickly inform you about this.

@cands

Thanks for reporting this. I have downloaded BibDesk (Version 1.6.10 (4171)) and can reproduce the issue with the Copy As... menu.

I'll try to see if I can figure out why this is happening.

@cands 

BibDesk (programatically) reports all menus items under "Copy As..." to be inactive and disabled always. This is the reason why menu search is not able to pick up the sub menu items.

One workaround possible to to display all menu items (enabled or not) - but this means that if a menu item is truly disabled, actioning that from Alfred will not have any effect, and you will not be able to know beforehand if the item is indeed disabled or not. The workflow will blindly list all available menu item entries.

If you download and update the workflow to version 1.5.4, I have included some environment variables to control the default menu listing. In your case, because of BibDesk, you may want to set the value of "-show-disabled" to true

590087dd67715_ScreenShot2017-04-26at5_10_06PM.png.43a9488595abda61a0935b7a49e6899a.png

590087e9d4281_ScreenShot2017-04-26at5_10_16PM.png.afeee4667f67ae170ca42a2f230262d9.png

Note that this will affect all menus across all apps. I'll attempt to come up with a better solution, but not very hopeful at the moment.