(faster) Menu Search

v1.6 - per app configuration

You can now specify custom configuration settings to fine tune menu listings for at an app level. Type ms into Alfred to get started.

Here's the settings.txt config I use:

# always show disabled menu items
appFilters {
  app: "BibDesk"
  showDisabledMenuItems: true
}

# for Safari, ignore the History and Bookmarks
# menus since loading it take a lot of time
appFilters {
    app: "Safari"
    ignoreMenuPaths {
        path: "History"
    }
    ignoreMenuPaths {
        path: "Bookmarks"
    }
}

# For Finder alone, show the Apple menu entries,
# and ignore any recent entries listed in the 
# Apple > Recent Items menu
appFilters {
    app: "Finder"
    showAppleMenu: true
    ignoreMenuPaths {
        path: "Apple"
        path: "Recent Items"
    }
}

• 4 months later...

Hi @Benzi

I also did a new version of ctwise's Menu Bar Search, but in plain ObjectiveC. I didn't know about your swift version. :(

I'm using Alfred's Script Filter to do the filtering and I was wondering if I could use your swift code to do the menu scrapping and generate the output in Alfred's Script Filter JSON Format.

I went to look for the menu.swift on github but it looks like it's no longer available. Is there any other repo where I can get the code?

Cheers.

Alejandro.

• 6 months later...

This is an amazing workflow. Saves me tons of clicks. Thank you!

I've discovered 2 bugs:

1. "Rename" opens "Item Info". If multiple files are selected, then instead of the "Rename x Items..." panel, the "Multiple Item Info" panel opens.

2. "Get Info" doesn't work, neither for a single item nor for multiple.

Thanks!

Edited by kodiak

Thanks! absolutely love this workflow, the only disavantage is a bit slower loading time for the menu items. Is there a way to speed it up using cache?  I'm new to the alfred and I was only able to edit the environment variables not the caches settings

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately this stopped working after I upgraded to Catalina.  :-(    I get the error "menu can't be opened because apple cannot check it for malicious software."  Then if I go to System Prefs | Security & Privacy | General and click "Allow Anyway", the same exact thing happens the next time I try to access it.  Any thoughts?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

@Benzi, this is super helpful. Especially for us Alfred fans. I would think that a lot of people would want this one feature. Do you think your code could be expanded to do just this one feature that could be a stand-alone product? Would love to work with you on that. @Benzi

Edited by dbw
tagging Benzi
  • 1 month later...