Using Alfred and R for survey data analysis

This is a post without a workflow. Much of what I have to say is also applicable to SAS, SPSS, Excel, or whatever else you might use to analyze quantitative data.

Whenever you're collecting data you want to have a codebook listing all your variables and a longer description of what each refers to, what each means for categorical variables (e.g. 1=mac, 2=windows, 3=amiga os, etc.).

Putting your codebook in a CSV has multiple advantages. You can keep your codebook in a single file & merge it (in whatever - I use Nisus) but also use it as a list filter in Alfred.  Output the variable name to the clipboard & you're in business.

I have three surveys of panel data from 1998, 2009, and 2015. I've created three list filters with the code books for each. So I can type s98 and search for a variable - when I find it, it's copied to the clipboard as survey98$variableName, ready for pasting into R. And rather than opening a codebook file and searching for the variable name to check its description, possible values, etc., it's all right there in front of me in Alfred.

Edited by dfay
  • 7 months later...