Search for a single word

I have a MacBook Pro with OS 10.11.6, and have just downloaded the Free version of Alfred 3. I want to use the app before buying the PowerPack. Is there a way to search for a single word or phrase that appears somewhere in My Documents if I do not remember the name of the folder or file in which the word might appear? That is, if I have written a memorandum that has the word "appliances" in it, but I can't remember what name I assigned to the file or what folder I saved it to, but I know it is in "Documents," what instruction do I give to Alfred? As it is now, when I type ALT [space}, and then type "appliances" (without the quotation marks), Alfred offers three choices:Search Google, Search Amazon, Search Wikipedia. Thank you.

Edited by Francis S

Welcome to the forum @Francis S :) 

Here's a helpful beginner's guide that includes a few handy keywords, how to create custom searches and other features available to users of the free version:

https://www.alfredapp.com/blog/tips-and-tricks/beginners-guide-to-alfred-searching-your-mac-and-the-web/

With the Powerpack, your options open vastly as you could then create file filters to search for particular file types or in only certain directories on your Mac, making search even more fun!

Cheers,

Vero 

On 5/5/2017 at 1:30 AM, Vero said:

Welcome to the forum @Francis S :) 

Here's a helpful beginner's guide that includes a few handy keywords, how to create custom searches and other features available to users of the free version:

https://www.alfredapp.com/blog/tips-and-tricks/beginners-guide-to-alfred-searching-your-mac-and-the-web/

With the Powerpack, your options open vastly as you could then create file filters to search for particular file types or in only certain directories on your Mac, making search even more fun!

Cheers,

Vero 

Hi Vero,

I have the Powerpack, and would welcome the knowledge to be able to write my own filters, that would allow me to do as you described, and more. Please point me towards this information.

Thanks!

@BigTrees You can find out more about file filters here:

https://www.alfredapp.com/help/workflows/inputs/file-filter/

You'll also find a few built-in examples and templates in Alfred's Workflows preferences. Pop by the Workflows tab, click the [+] in the bottom left, and add the two Examples called "Simple Folder Search" and "Dynamic File Search".

The first shows you how to create a file filter that only returns folders as results, as well as how to use alternative actions. The second one is a more advanced file filter, which uses variables to dynamically set the search scope (e.g. dynamically decide you only want to search within your Documents folder this time).

If you start creating your own workflows and you need a hand, you can find help in the "Workflow Help & Questions" section of the forum. :) 

Cheers,
Vero