First letter in snippet keyword in chrome

A lot of times when I use the snippet functionality in Chrome the first letter in the keyword stays up after the snippet expands. I've adjusted all the tweaking settings and the issue has persisted. I made sure that the Alfred helper has accessibility permissions and I have re-installed Alfred as well as Chrome. See attached GIF for the behavior. while the GIF shows it happening at the top of the text box, it also happens after I have already been typing in the middle of the paragraph.

I2bTLln7xh.gif

Hi @DeeK and welcome to the forum! :)

You may need to slow down key events, which you can do by launching the preferences to Features > Snippets, then click the cog in the top right. Under Tweaking, click the "Slow down key events" box.  This will imperceptibly slow down the paste action, giving the Chrome text box a moment longer to finish removing the snippet keyword characters.

More details on partial expansion here:

https://www.alfredapp.com/help/troubleshooting/snippets/#partial

Let me know how you get on!

Cheers,
Vero

@DeeK In that case, have you checked for apps that could be interfering? By this I mean apps like other text expanders, keyboard modifiers or other apps that might have Accessibility permissions on your Mac.

Launch Apple's Security & Privacy System Preferences to Privacy > Accessibility, and uncheck all other apps in Accessibility temporarily to help you narrow down which one might be interfering.

Let me know how you get on. :)

Cheers,
Vero

@DeeK Is it any text field in Chrome or on particular websites? I'm wondering if you're testing somewhere that has particular scripting around the text field resulting in weird behaviour.

With regards to HipChat, a few releases ago, we found that HipChat received the simulated key events for the text replacement, but processed them out of order. This is a bug in HipChat (possibly using a cross platform UI framework). However, for the one or two users who had reported it, slowing down key events was sufficient and everything worked as expected.

If no snippets are appearing, launch Alfred's prefs to Snippets and check whether any red text appears, as in this Secure Input screenshot:

https://www.alfredapp.com/help/troubleshooting/snippets/#secureinput

This would mean that HipChat or something else is locking secure input, preventing Alfred and other apps from being able to perceive the typed characters and expanding your snippets.

Cheers,
Vero

• 3 years later...
23 minutes ago, Laserfocus said:

I have the same problem in Chrome and Safari and it is driving me crazy.

It always adds the first letter to my snippets.

Try slowing down key events as outlined here:

https://www.alfredapp.com/help/troubleshooting/snippets/#partial

This will give the browser more time to finish removing characters before pasting in your snippet.

Cheers,
Vero