Hackerboard — Links from the front page of Hacker News

Usage

Search the Hacker News front page via the hnf keyword.

hnf.png

Press ↩ to open the story’s website or ⌥↩ to open the Hacker News comments thread. This behaviour can be reversed in the Workflow’s Configuration.

Seach stories with the hns keyword.

hns.png

Previous shortcuts apply, plus ⌘↩ switches between ordering by date (more recent first) and by relevance (then points, then number of comments).

Submit the frontmost browser tab with the hnsubmit keyword.

hnsubmit.png

⤓ Install on the Alfred Gallery | Source

11 minutes ago, nikivi said:

I think for hacker news the workflow lacks up vote count

The workflow grabs their RSS feed, which does not provide them. Either way the up vote count would be skewed, since results are cached for four hours. To get accurate up vote counts I’d need to regrab the page with every request, which would make the workflow slower.

Your repo is trending today!

I don’t care much about breaking the name, as the description is general enough. I don’t think I’ll add Github Trending, though, as those aren’t really news. That seems more appropriate for a Github-centric Workflow. That said, I have thought about adding Prodcut Hunt, , and that kind of blurs the line.

But Product Hunt’s RSS (Atom feed) has short descriptions next to the names of the products, while Github trends does not (the one I found; I haven’t seen an official one, even). That makes Product Hunt well suited to be included in a Script Filter, ad Github Trends not.

Update.

Added an hn_main Workflow Environment Variable. If you set it to comments, Hacker News’ main action will open the comments thread, and the secondary (⌥) will open the linked website.

Also made some general code updates and fixed a bug where only the Pinboard list was being updated on force.

To update, download the latest version (same URL) or wait a few days and it’ll prompt you to on next usage, since it uses OneUpdater.

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, dood said:

I'm getting a 404 on the Github link

Weird, I wonder what happened. Seems to be the only one affected, but I’ll check.

1 hour ago, dood said:

would you mind reuploading the workflow?

Feito. You may need to reload the page.

• vitor changed the title to Hackerboard — Links from the front page of Hacker News
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Possible, yes, but it’d take some editing. The workflow doesn’t just read the RSS but also takes specific information from it, namely the link and the comments URL. Did some quick trials with the Kotke RSS specifically, but the feed itself was giving me errors.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi @vitor, would it be possible to allow users to set terms they want to filter out? For example, adding "Twitter" to the workflow configuration would mean that I wouldn't see any HN posts with Twitter in the title (and maybe URL, too?)

Nothing has changed in that regard, it still works like that. What may have happened is that you didn’t have your web browser as the frontmost app when opening the first link, and the stolen focus closed Alfred. Open Alfred again with the browser as the active app and you should be able to continue pressing ↩ without Alfred hiding.

• 9 months later...

Updated to 2024.1.

• Completely rewritten.
  • Renamed Front Page search keyword to hnf.
  • Show number of points and comments in subtitle.
  • Added hns keyword to search stories.
  • Added hnsubmit keyword to open the frontmost browser tab to submit.
  • Uses Alfred 5.5 caching.