Certain themes cause keyboard lag in Alfred

xavdid

Hey there! 

Long time user, first time reporter. I got a new laptop recently and updated my theme to match. I noticed that for whatever reason, when typing into this theme, there was some input lag. That's weird, since I've never experienced that with any other theme. Just to verify, I swapped back to some defaults and other themes I made. Nothing else exhibited the same behavior.

The theme is here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5t1bvxv5glcn1ph/laggy_theme.alfredappearance?dl=0

I've attached my system specs (there's an AMD graphics card not shown). I'm using Alfred v3.4 [850], the most recent one. 

I realize this isn't the most helpful bug report to reproduce, so i'm happy to supply any other information you need. 

Thanks a bunch! 

Screen Shot 2017-06-27 at 2.56.49 PM.png

@xavdid Try turning off window blur for the theme. Launch Alfred's Appearance preferences, select your theme, and click the blur icon in the top left of the preview panel. Turn the window blur down to none, and see if that makes your Mac happier :)

Cheers,
Vero

That was exactly correct! I totally skipped it because it's a small button and there wasn't any visual indicator that blur was on. 

It is a little frustrating that a new, top of the line macbook pro can't run a blurred window without lag. What sort of computers is blur usable on?

Either way, thanks a bunch for sorting it out! Everything is much smoother now. ?

@xavdid As it's a new laptop model, it may very well be a driver bug in macOS for your integrated graphics card. The blur works fine on my MacBook and my 2012 development iMac. I'm sure if you switched to the non-integrated graphics on your MBP, it would also be smooth.

@xavdid Further to this, I've just installed macOS High Sierra 10.13 Beta on my very old Mac Mini (Intel c2d mid 2010) and blur is working extremely smoothly. This suggests that it could be a driver bug for your Mac spec, OR that macOS High Sierra has significantly improved graphics performance.

4 hours ago, Andrew said:

@xavdid Further to this, I've just installed macOS High Sierra 10.13 Beta on my very old Mac Mini (Intel c2d mid 2010) and blur is working extremely smoothly. This suggests that it could be a driver bug for your Mac spec, OR that macOS High Sierra has significantly improved graphics performance.

The windowserver in macOS Sierra has been updated to use metal. That could be the improvement in this case :)