christian_alares

Change default Terminal to Hyper.is ?

Hi!

I just discovered this terminal application: https://hyper.is/

I find it appealing and I would like to change the default Alfred behaviour to this app.

For example when I browse för files in Alfred and press "Open Terminal Here".

This seems to be editable in settings but I'm not sure what to write in the AppleScript section.

See this little video to understand more what I want to achieve:

As @vitor said, Hyper is not scriptable (there's no applescript dictionary to make it works reliably without keystrokes). However, as a workaround, Hyper is able to open folder and file and it would set it's path to that folder. So, here is what I would do to make it reliable and fast:

on alfred_script(q)
	do shell script "open -a Hyper " & text 4 thru -1 of q
end alfred_script

Just copy & paste this script in the custom script section in Features > Terminal / Shell of Alfred preferences and this should work

Hope this helps!

Edited by GuiB
edit script

@christian_alares, I just thought I should give a more complete script in case you want a script that work with Alfred prefix command to run a terminal command also. I mean, if you want to do something else than using the Open Terminal Here command. Here is a script that would work for both way of actioning the command:

on alfred_script(q)
	if (text 1 thru 2 of q) is equal to "cd" then
	else
		do shell script "open -a Hyper ~"
		delay 1
		tell application "System Events" to keystroke q & return
	end if
end alfred_script

As @vitor said, this is not the best way since we need to insert a delay command for the keystrokes (the "delay 1" inside here), but seems to be quite great on my side (you may need to play with the delay time if there's a problem on your side). Also, I've use "open -a Hyper ~" in the second method so a new window is opened without using the keystroke method with delay. You may want to change the default path if you want (this would set you in your home directory, but change the "~" to something else if you prefer)

--- Update

I mention that this is not an optimal way, but I mean that mainly for the second method (when sending a command to Hyper). This is still speedy for the "Open Terminal Here" command and is the same as my first script above

Edited by GuiB

Here is an updated version

I wanted to test to find a way so the script wait that the application is ready instead of a definite time before sending the keystrokes. With this version it should be faster and less error prone. Best!

on alfred_script(q)
	if (text 1 thru 2 of q) is equal to "cd" then
	else
		do shell script "open -a Hyper ~"
		set appOpen to false
		set nbrOfTry to 0
		delay 0.5
		repeat
			try
				tell application "System Events"
					if exists (window 1 of process "Hyper") then