High Sierra Input Lag with MacBook Pro with blurred themes [Fixed 3.4.1 b858 pre-release]

flome

I'm on the public beta of High Sierra and I'm seeing input lag when typing into Alfred. Tried clearing preferences and re-installing. Could it have to do with the new file system?

Update: Changed my Alfred theme from "Alfred Default" to "Alfred MacOS" and the lag went away. Seems to be related to graphic assets?

Edited by flome

@flome @ThoseGrapefruits You can use any theme, but turn down the blur by clicking the icon in the top left of the Appearance canvas (for custom themes, not visible on default themes)

Screen Shot 2017-07-04 at 09.21.21.png

We'll keep an eye on the next few Developer Previews, as a couple of users have now reported this issue with themes using blur.

Could you also let me know your Mac's spec? :)

Cheers,
Vero

Yeah this is bizarre, and almost certainly a macOS graphics driver bug relating to newer MacBook Pros. Alfred uses native blurring on the main window, and there is faultless performance with any blur level on my old test Mac Mini mid-2010 with macOS 10.13 beta installed.

If this isn't fixed by Apple, I'll possibly remove blurring from the default themes to prevent confusion.

• Andrew changed the title to High Sierra Input Lag with new MacBook Pro with blurred themes
  • Andrew changed the title to High Sierra Input Lag with MacBook Pro with blurred themes
41 minutes ago, Obbut said:

It also happens on my not-so-new 13" early 2015 MacBook Pro so I don't think it's specifically related to the new MacBook Pro's

Which version of macOS are you using on that earlier MBP? Also on High Sierra I assume? Can you confirm the only time it happens is with blurred themes?

5 hours ago, Vero said:

Which version of macOS are you using on that earlier MBP? Also on High Sierra I assume? Can you confirm the only time it happens is with blurred themes?

Yes, I'm currently on the latest developer beta of High Sierra. Changing the theme to a non-blurred theme or disabling the blur on the existing theme does indeed "fix" the problem. If you want, I can try a PRAM reset to see if that makes any difference.

My other Mac, a late 2014 5K iMac with AMD M290X, is still on Sierra but if it helps I'm willing to install the High Sierra beta on a separate disk to see if the issue happens there.

@Obbut any help with this is appreciated...

Could you let me know if there is a threshold of theme blur which this is introduced? Or wether any (tiny) level of theme blur also has an issue.

Also, if you switch to the high performance graphics card on your MBP (untick automatic graphics switching in energy saver prefs), do you still see the issue?

Cheers,

Andrew

@Obbut I've now updated the "Alfred" and "Alfred Dark" default themes to be less than 50% blur, and more opaque. They look practically the same, but should be higher performance. Would you mind updating to the 3.4.1 pre-release from Alfred's update prefs and check this for me?

Cheers,

Andrew

@Andrew On 3.4.1 pre-release the "Alfred" and "Alfred Dark" themes perform normally. Of the default themes, now only the "Frosty Teal" theme has performance issues, but that is to be expected since the blur for that theme is still 100%. 

thank goodness i found this thread. Alfred has been slow till the to point of unusable since i updated my MacBook 12-inch Early 2016 to High Sierra. that's when I realised too how much I depended on Alfred.

I had thought this was related to some caching problem so i've tried clearing the caches to no avail. didn't imagine it was something to do with the blurring themes.

switched from Alfred theme to Alfred macOS and things worked fine.

Alfred v3.4 [850]

macOS 10.13 Beta (17A306f)

MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2016)

Intel HD Graphics 515 1536 MB

Edited by junjie

• Andrew changed the title to High Sierra Input Lag with MacBook Pro with blurred themes [Fixed 3.4.1 b858 pre-release]