Misha

AppleScript does not work?

Hi guys, I wrote a little AppleScript that copies and pastes a text selection to the Alfred bar with a certain prefix: see below.

The thing is, when I select text, and run the .scpt file from the Alfred bar (i.e. I look up the file and press enter) it works fine, but when I try to link this  script to an Alfred keyword or hotkey, it stops working. I tried these three methods:

• I simply copied the content of the .scpt file into an Alfred workflow (actions --> RunNSAppleScript). Doesn't work.
  • I wrote a bash script calling the .scpt file and attached it to the action  "run script". Doesn't work.
  • I used the action "open file" and attached the .scpt file to it. Doesn't work.

It's not that these three methods don't do anything. In fact weird things happen. The text selection expands to adjacent words for example. Or I hear the "beep" of the mac "alert sound". I also sometimes seems as if the delay of 0.5 does not work.

Its' not such a big deal. I can run the script by simply launching it by searching the file in the Alfred bar, but I'm still generally curious what is going on here. Any ideas?

tell application "System Events" to keystroke "c" using command down

tell application "System Events" to keystroke space using command down

delay 0.5

tell application "System Events" to keystroke "n"

tell application "System Events" to keystroke space

tell application "System Events" to keystroke "v" using command down

@Misha Could you clarify what you're actually trying to achieve? Given the range of objects in Alfred, it's likely that there's a better way to achieve what you want. Are you trying to open Alfred with the macOS selection, with it prefixed with the keyword "n"? If so, that's quite easy and would be much more reliable... (You'll just need to also set a hotkey, which I didn't do in this example)

Screen Shot 2017-07-04 at 17.20.11.png

Beyond that, Alfred has a built-in Dispatch Key Combo output object, a Delay utility object, etc, so you might be able to do what you need without AppleScript keystrokes. :)

Cheers,
Vero

Just to second what Vero said, having done a lot of UI scripting in AppleScript, I would only use it as an absolute last resort...

@Vero, just wondering, is it maybe also possible to activate a workflow with the "selection in macOS" as argument by using a keyword as a trigger (rather than a hotkey)?

Edited by Misha