adamvert

Clipboard: 'Auto paste on return' stopped working

For some reason the 'Auto paste on return' function of the Alfred clipboard stopped working for me a couple of days ago. I didn't realise how much I rely on it until it stopped working :(

The clipboard window opens as normal when I hit the shortcut, but the selected entry isn't pasted when I hit return. I don't really know how to go about debugging this - has anyone had a similar issue?

Thanks

Adam

Alfred Preferences → Features → Clipboard → Advanced → Pasting. Is Auto paste on return selected or deselected?

@adamvert It'd be helpful to understand in what conditions it hasn't been working for you.

- Could you please try with a plain text file as frontmost app, just to ensure it's not the destination causing an issue in some way?

- Do you use multiple clipboard managers that could be interfering with each other? 

- Seems simple, but have you tried restarting your Mac?

And finally, which version of Alfred are you currently using? :)

Cheers,
Vero

@vero 

Same problem here!

- OS X 10.12.6 

- Alfred 3 v3.5.1 (883)

- Auto paste on return is selected.

Here is what I've done. 

In Sublime Text, copied first file content to Alfred clipboard, then second file content to Alfred clipboard.

Hit Alt-Tab to select Textedit. Released all the keys when Textedit was selected. 

Expected the appended clipboard to be pasted. 

Nothing happened.

Tried restarting my My Mac.

Tried with and without Textexpander.

Auto paste not working in any case.

Any idea? 

Thank you.

Edited by politicus

@politicus I've re-read your description a few times and I think you may be misunderstanding the feature.

Auto-paste simply means that when you select an item in your clipboard and press Return, the item is pasted right away to your frontmost application rather than just being copied back to your current clipboard. You still need to select the clipboard item.

You seem to be confusing Clipboard Merge (where Cmd + C on the first item, and Cmd + C + C on the second item results in the second item being merged with the first one) and Auto-Paste when pressing the Return key.

7 hours ago, politicus said:

Hit Alt-Tab to select Textedit. Released all the keys when Textedit was selected. 

Expected the appended clipboard to be pasted. 

Once you've used Alt + Tab to change the focused app, you'll need to select the clipboard content to paste. :)

Cheers,
Vero