Pin Plus — Interact with your Pinboard bookmarks

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Does the PinPlus workflow work in Firefox? I've install the workflow but the 'pa' command in Alfred doesn't do anything for me. If I install the `PinPlus` app, the GUI pops up but the URL isn't inserted. I've tried this in Firefox (69.0.3) and using the latest version of PinPlus (1.6.0). Here is the debug report from Alfred for the 'pa' command:

[12:03:55.754] Logging Started...
[12:04:12.057] PinPlus[Keyword] Processing complete
[12:04:12.059] PinPlus[Keyword] Passing output '' to Run Script
[12:05:02.933] STDERR: PinPlus[Run Script] 2019-10-11 12:04:12.849 PinPlus[93087:8272687] *** WARNING: Textured window <AtomNSWindow: 0x7fed24539600> is getting an implicitly transparent titlebar. This will break when linking against newer SDKs. Use NSWindow's -titlebarAppearsTransparent=YES instead.
[12:05:02.937] PinPlus[Run Script] Processing complete
[12:05:02.938] PinPlus[Run Script] Passing output '' to Run Script

Edited by capac
Amended format
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Update to version 20.5 seems to have broken this brilliant workflow on my system, it has worked flawlessly for a long time. 

I'm on macOS 10.14.6 (Mojave), Alfred 4.0.9, and using version 20.5 of this workflow. I paste info from the debugger below. 

[14:57:34.066] Logging Started...
[14:57:38.788] ERROR: PinPlus[Script Filter] Code 1: /Users/*******/Library/Application Support/Alfred/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/user.workflow.4064276A-EABF-45AA-8CC9-180353BE7304/pinplus.rb:104:in `synced_with_website?': private method `open' called for URI:Module (NoMethodError)
    from /Users/*******/Library/Application Support/Alfred/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/user.workflow.4064276A-EABF-45AA-8CC9-180353BE7304/pinplus.rb:154:in `fetch_bookmarks'
    from /Users/*******/Library/Application Support/Alfred/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/user.workflow.4064276A-EABF-45AA-8CC9-180353BE7304/pinplus.rb:147:in `show_bookmarks'
    from /Users/*******/Library/Caches/com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred/Workflow Scripts/D583D1C2-544A-40BD-A789-E4A0F7A64A40:3:in `<main>'

3 minutes ago, cands said:

Update to version 20.5 seems to have broken this brilliant workflow on my system, it has worked flawlessly for a long time. 

I'm on macOS 10.14.6 (Mojave), Alfred 4.0.9, and using version 20.5 of this workflow. I paste info from the debugger below. 

[14:57:34.066] Logging Started...
[14:57:38.788] ERROR: PinPlus[Script Filter] Code 1: /Users/*******/Library/Application Support/Alfred/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/user.workflow.4064276A-EABF-45AA-8CC9-180353BE7304/pinplus.rb:104:in `synced_with_website?': private method `open' called for URI:Module (NoMethodError)
    from /Users/*******/Library/Application Support/Alfred/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/user.workflow.4064276A-EABF-45AA-8CC9-180353BE7304/pinplus.rb:154:in `fetch_bookmarks'
    from /Users/*******/Library/Application Support/Alfred/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/user.workflow.4064276A-EABF-45AA-8CC9-180353BE7304/pinplus.rb:147:in `show_bookmarks'
    from /Users/*******/Library/Caches/com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred/Workflow Scripts/D583D1C2-544A-40BD-A789-E4A0F7A64A40:3:in `<main>'

Ah, I now saw that there is already a version 20.6 available to download (not yet recognized by OneUpdater, should have checked manually before posting...) which seems to have fixed this, working well again, thanks! 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

I got a new MBP (work) and it killed my favorite alfred workflow. Error below.

Details:

MBP Pro 2019 - Catalina V10.15.5 

Pinplus 20.8 

Based on some threads above, I generated a new API token and updated the token in Alfred. The workflow is fine on my personal MBP (2013, Catalina V10.15.5 ). 

Any ideas on what could have happened?

ERROR: PinPlus[Script Filter] Code 1: /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/lib/ruby/2.6.0/open-uri.rb:378:in `open_http': 500 Internal Server Error (OpenURI::HTTPError)

from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/lib/ruby/2.6.0/open-uri.rb:756:in `buffer_open'

from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/lib/ruby/2.6.0/open-uri.rb:226:in `block in open_loop'

from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/lib/ruby/2.6.0/open-uri.rb:224:in `catch'

from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/lib/ruby/2.6.0/open-uri.rb:224:in `open_loop'

from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/lib/ruby/2.6.0/open-uri.rb:165:in `open_uri'

from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/lib/ruby/2.6.0/open-uri.rb:736:in `open'

from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/lib/ruby/2.6.0/open-uri.rb:744:in `read'

On 6/2/2020 at 4:56 PM, deanishe said:

That's a server error, not a client error. Have you been getting the error for some time?

Only my personal macbook pro no, on this one, the errors have been happening from the time I installed. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, I'd really love to get this up and running. 

I'm on macOS 10.14.6 with ruby 2.3.7p456 (2018-03-28 revision 63024). This is what I get on running "pin". (API key is set)  

[14:36:11.222] PinPlus[Script Filter] Queuing argument '(null)'
[14:36:12.263] PinPlus[Script Filter] Script with argv '(null)' finished
[14:36:12.266] ERROR: PinPlus[Script Filter] Code 1: /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.3/usr/lib/ruby/2.3.0/json/common.rb:156:in `parse': 784: unexpected token at '{"update_time":"2020-06-14T15:51:27Z"} (JSON::ParserError)

Side note: I also have ruby 2.7.1p83 (2020-03-31 revision a0c7c23c9c) installed via rvm but I can't seem to get the workflow to use it. Already searched stack overflow but getting nowhere. So I figured I'd ask. Would really appreciate a pointer in the right direction. 

I’ve emailed Maciej early on about this issue. It started after a major server upgrade and he is investigating. It’s taking longer to be fixed than I was expecting, so I’ve decided to build a workaround into the Workflow, which I’ll remove when this is fixed.

If you don’t want to wait for the API issue to be resolved, download the latest version.

15 minutes ago, deanishe said:

He says he's working on it. Hasn't tracked down which bit of the code is adding the BOM yet.

Yes, that’s the reply I got as well. I first tweeted at him five days ago to confirm something had changed, then tracked down what was causing the problem (on the Workflow, the JSON library wasn’t being able to parse the responses) and emailed him the details. Since then, more people on Twitter bumped into the issue. He replied by email yesterday that he was looking into it.

I was expecting this to be a simple fix upstream (maybe two days, tops), but since it’s taking a while to find the cause and we have no ETA (and I’m missing the ability to use the Workflow), figured it would be best to just add the workaround and be done with it.

I’ve made a small script which I’m running on occasion to check if the problem is still there. As soon as it’s fixed, I’ll remove the workaround.

Good news for users of the Workflows is that you essentially no longer have to worry about it. Even when this is fixed, the workaround won’t break on the correct behaviour.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I’ve been asked in another setting if I have any plans to compile the PinPlus app for Apple Silicon. Decided to answer here because private questions take a long time to reply to and don’t benefit other people.

At present I haven’t decided if that’s going to happen. While I’m on Apple Silicon and originally built the app for myself, I’ve been getting by with the other feature of the Workflow (which opens a new browser windows instead of using the app).

Compiling for Apple Silicon will require updating dependencies, then dealing with whatever that breaks (likely a lot, in true Electron and JS fashion), and at this point the app would already need other fixes. Working on it is becoming hard to justify because:

• It takes a ton of effort to maintain. I need to keep up with things outside of my control.
  • Working on it gets me no benefits, monetary or otherwise.
  • Working on it has drawbacks, in the form of more (unpaid) work and less free time.
  • I have no idea how many people rely on it or like it, since I use no analytics.
  • It isn’t necessary for the Workflow to do its job.
  • I’m no longer using it (partly due to the above).

So that’s a tough sell. If you really like the app and would like to keep it alive, we can talk and perhaps figure something out. If, however, like me you could take it or leave it by now, the likelier outcome is that I’ll eventually discontinue it. You’ll continue to be free to use it until it breaks for you (due to an OS upgrade or the like), naturally.

I want to make clear all of the above refer to the app; the Workflow itself is still going strong and will keep being supported and improved for the foreseeable future. I use it daily.

Edited by vitor