Pin Plus — Interact with your Pinboard bookmarks

Update.

Let Alfred learn from usage (except unread bookmarks). This means your most often selected bookmarks will show at the top when using pin. For pun they’ll still show in the order defined by the unread_order Workflow Environment Variable.

To update, download the latest version (same URL) or wait a few days and it’ll prompt you to on next usage, since it uses OneUpdater.

13 minutes ago, giovanni said:

I updated and I noticed that my Alfred window now persists (fails to disappear) after opening the bookmark

You may have only noticed it now, but that’s been the default behaviour for a long time.

See the square box in the middle of the connection? Double click it and uncheck the Window Behaviour option at the bottom.

QAT47VV.png

Updates.

Removed support for the alternative app. It offered a slightly nicer-looking interface for adding bookmarks but in return it was bigger, slower, and used Electron which is constantly changing and part of an system rife with (security) issues. While it’s unlikely that would ever become a problem (due to the limited scope of the app), removing it entirely is a better bet. It didn’t have a tremendous amount of downloads either way, so I doubt it will be missed much.

In its stead, the default option to open the window directly in the browser is now marginally faster.

Also, the External Trigger for the launchd job has been replaced by an Inbound Configuration. If you used it, you don’t have to change anything.

To update, download the latest version (same URL) or wait a few days and it’ll prompt you to on next usage, since it uses OneUpdater.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, I installed the very latest version, and I had to enable "Allow JS from Apple Events" in Chrome in order to make PA command works. Also, I'm experiencing problems whit PIN and PUN, from the Workflow console i get the following message:

ERROR: PinPlus[Script Filter] Code 1: /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/lib/ruby/2.6.0/open-uri.rb:378:in `open_http': 500 Internal Server Error (OpenURI::HTTPError)

In a previous post I read that this may be caused by a PinBoard API problem, is this the same case?

Thank you in advance

6 minutes ago, Pyetro said:

Lose Pinboard would be a huge pity

I doubt Maciel would just abandon it. It makes money and one of his frequent quips is how every other bookmarking service falls by the wayside. If he got tired of it, maybe he’d go into maintenance mode and get someone to manage it. I think he did something similar when he went to Antarctica.

13 minutes ago, Pyetro said:

otherwise I'll try to ask to Macej directly

That might still be worth it. He’s usually responsive and interested in knowing about errors. Worth pointing out the blog is down as well.

4 minutes ago, vitor said:

If he got tired of it, maybe he’d go into maintenance mode and get someone to manage it

This is what he did. He asked existing subscribers for more money, which some gave, and he apparently employed somebody. But zero has been done to the site since. Just increasing frequency of outages and errors. 

I've reported multiple errors already this year. He did say thanks for my reports.  

I ended up installing an equivalent on my own server and I now use that instead. It's less hassle. 

Edited by gingerbeardman
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey Vitor, 

I was hoping you might include a blank hotkey node alongside the "pa" keyword in PinPlus? I have added a command+D hotkey (with related app: Safari) thus replacing Safari's default add bookmark command. This works really nicely, but sadly it disappears every time PinPlus is updated. As I understand if there was a blank hotkey node in the workflow by default, I could migrate my settings on update.

Enormous gratitude for the workflow (regardless of whether this niche request warrants implementation)

Cheers!

Screen Shot 2022-04-04 at 10.28.58 pm.png

Updates.

• Only recheck bookmarks for updates if cache is over one hour old (previously was 10 minutes).
  • Removed variable to manually set recheck frequency.
  • Automatic cache rebuilds are turned on by default. Can be turned off by changing the auto_refresh Workflow Environment Variable to 0.

Edited by vitor
17 minutes ago, Pyetro said:

I still don't understand how you can test these new feature while the connection with Pinboard API is still broken

I’m only changing how the Workflow behaves, not touching the API. Also, it’s not broken for me, I was able to add two bookmarks today. Do you still get the same internal server error?

I'm sorry, you are right!

I'm on Monterey 12.3.1 and this is the error I get:

[17:19:52.671] PinPlus[Script Filter] Queuing argument '(null)'
[17:19:53.698] PinPlus[Script Filter] Script with argv '(null)' finished
[17:19:53.698] ERROR: PinPlus[Script Filter] Code 1: /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/lib/ruby/2.6.0/open-uri.rb:378:in `open_http': 500 Internal Server Error (OpenURI::HTTPError)
	from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/lib/ruby/2.6.0/open-uri.rb:756:in `buffer_open'
	from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/lib/ruby/2.6.0/open-uri.rb:226:in `block in open_loop'
	from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/lib/ruby/2.6.0/open-uri.rb:224:in `catch'
	from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/lib/ruby/2.6.0/open-uri.rb:224:in `open_loop'
	from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/lib/ruby/2.6.0/open-uri.rb:165:in `open_uri'
	from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/lib/ruby/2.6.0/open-uri.rb:736:in `open'
	from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/lib/ruby/2.6.0/open-uri.rb:744:in `read'
	from /Users/pyetro/Dropbox/Apps/Alfred/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/user.workflow.98115094-1F3B-42EC-9507-95EA95DF9BE8/pinplus.rb:98:in `synced_with_website?'
	from /Users/pyetro/Dropbox/Apps/Alfred/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/user.workflow.98115094-1F3B-42EC-9507-95EA95DF9BE8/pinplus.rb:146:in `fetch_bookmarks'
	from /Users/pyetro/Dropbox/Apps/Alfred/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/user.workflow.98115094-1F3B-42EC-9507-95EA95DF9BE8/pinplus.rb:139:in `show_bookmarks'
	from /Users/pyetro/Library/Caches/com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred/Workflow Scripts/C8CAFE18-189B-4A1F-8363-9F7C79DFCA08:3:in `<main>'

• 4 months later...