ForkLift 3 Favourites

31 minutes ago, FroZen_X said:

What are the advantages of it?

Compared to Transmit 4, none. Transmit 4 is a better app (unless you need the Rackspace support).

Compared to Transmit 5, ForkLift uses a sensible, secure method to sync your favourites that doesn't involve uploading your private keys (which Panic Sync does, because … actually, I can't imagine why anyone with even half a brain would do something like that).

ForkLift 2 is crap, however. It doesn't verify SSL certificates when connecting to WebDAV servers.

35 minutes ago, FroZen_X said:

what

do you mainly use it for?

Mostly one-off transfers, like uploading a workflow I made for someone. I use rsync for anything I upload/download regularly.

rsync, rsync, rsync, not rsync :)

Transmit 5 might be okay. Just don't use Panic Sync if you care at all about security. The stupid idiots upload your private keys and passphrases.

Transmit also has a scripting dictionary, while ForkLift only has a URL scheme.

I think ForkLift is also designed to be a file manager. It's much easier to open a pair of local folders in ForkLift than in Path Finder. 

Especially with the workflow. 

I see this being really useful for me actually. This way i can sync the server at work with my computer and have always up to date files.

I was looking into other services but haven't found anything decent that doesn't cost a fortune...plus this is a better version than finder.

I mostly use Alfred to navigate through files, but especially at work i handle more files with finder and Alfred together.

Edit: Gotta have to add that i use Hazel to automate file management on my Computer. However the server at work is Windows formated 

sh*it...sry for the language but its terrible as it can't be indexed and wonderfully searched by Alfred...I don't understand how bigger companies 

don't use their brain and are ignorant to others opinions to improvement...back to the theme, gonna check out Forklift the next weeks ^^

Edited by FroZen_X
On 7/29/2017 at 3:41 PM, deanishe said:

I think ForkLift is also designed to be a file manager. It's much easier to open a pair of local folders in ForkLift than in Path Finder.

What are you personally thinking is the best Finder replacement? ForkLift gives both things, finder replacement and syncing.

@vitor I would like to hear your opinion too to this theme.

Cheers,

Frozen

40 minutes ago, FroZen_X said:

What are you personally thinking is the best Finder replacement?

I use Finder 99% of the time, tbh. I only use Path Finder for copying/moving lots of files because it lets you queue file operations, whereas Finder tries to do them all at once.

I tend to avoid Path Finder due to the way Default Folder X handles it. For some reason, DFX assumes that Path Finder folders take absolute priority over Finder ones, even if they're on a different desktop. It's really annoying.

If ForkLift also queues local file operations, I'll probably stop using Path Finder altogether: as noted, it's much easier to open a specific pair of directories in ForkLift.

@FroZen_X I don’t use a Finder replacement. I used Path Finder for a while (I think I got it discounted in a bundle) and it was indeed superior, but there were a few things (don’t remember what) that didn’t work as well or at all. In the end I decided the advantages weren’t enough to outweight the nuisances.

I do use the Terminal pretty often, even for mundane operations. I also make extensive use of Dropshelf.

Edited by vitor
1 minute ago, vitor said:

I also make extensive use of Dropshelf.

I use Dragon Drop. I've been looking for a decent replacement for quite some time (in particular, Dragon Drop won't let you stack multiple drops), but everything else pops up at the edge of the screen, not where your mouse cursor is. That's fine on the 11" MBA, but I have a 30" screen on my desk, so the edge of the screen is not a convenient place to drag stuff to.

1 hour ago, deanishe said:

I only use Path Finder for copying/moving lots of files because it lets you queue file operations

What do you exactly mean by queue file operations? Like 1 by 1 i assume but doesn't Forklift do the same? I can activate the action window and see it running from top to bottom while performing an operation (copy, move etc.).

1 hour ago, deanishe said:

If ForkLift also queues local file operations, I'll probably stop using Path Finder altogether: as noted, it's much easier to open a specific pair of directories in ForkLift.

So it seems you're currently more often using Forklift especially due to the quick access through your workflow.

1 hour ago, vitor said:

I don’t use a Finder replacement. I used Path Finder for a while

Interesting, i never actually tried any finder replacements until now. I however always thought that there is something missing in finder. Forklift is the app im currently trying

and starting to like. Dropshelf is something that reminds me of unclutter, but like @deanishe mentioned it might be a pain to move with a bigger screen isnt it?

Thx for the replys and opinions from both of you so far :)

1 minute ago, FroZen_X said:

What do you exactly mean by queue file operations?

Move/copy operations. For example, if I separately drag 5 movies to a USB stick, Finder will copy all 5 at once. Path Finder queues the operations and copies one after another. It tends to go faster that way, and if it turns out you've copied too much, only the last copy fails.

6 minutes ago, FroZen_X said:

So it seems you're currently more often using Forklift especially due to the quick access through your workflow.

I haven't actually tried it in the above scenario yet. If it does behave the same as Path Finder, then I'll probably stop using Path Finder. Especially because of the issue with Default Folder X noted above.

21 minutes ago, deanishe said:

I use Dragon Drop.

I used that as well. I also recall I started looking for a replacement, but don’t remember exactly why (probably the same reason as you) and that there was something I didn’t like about their support (or maybe it was them promising something and never delivering after years; I’m fuzzy on the details).

26 minutes ago, deanishe said:

so the edge of the screen is not a convenient place to drag stuff to.

What if you only have to drag stuff from? I rarely move to the side to add to Dropshelf; I use a shortcut.

Some time ago I made crafts, which is a script that lets you copy/move/paste in two steps (useful when you have multiple terminals and want to move from the current working directory of one to the other). I haven’t used it in a long time, though, as I call Dropshelf from the Terminal for that, now.

But it stands that one could build a similar Alfred Workflow. Have a File Action that copies the paths of the selected files to a new “buffer” and another File Action that adds to an existing buffer (selectable via a Script Filter). Then have a Script Filter that shows all buffers and pastes to the frontmost (Path)Finder window.

I take a stab at it later, unless any of you want to (I’m not seeing myself using the Workflow, I’m more curious as to working out the process and building it, but it’d essentially be done for you).

13 minutes ago, deanishe said:

For example, if I separately drag 5 movies to a USB stick, Finder will copy all 5 at once

That's a good point!

10 minutes ago, deanishe said:

If it does behave the same as Path Finder, then I'll probably stop using Path Finder

I just tried it and it seems to act the same way:

597f9271f1ecb_ScreenShot2017-07-31at22_24_27.thumb.png.52a7fe6cd9bccc6078045e0fdc26ceb6.png

Ignore launchbar lol i actually don't use it haha, reminds me that my solution for server indexing might be just 

syncing it lol....All operations wait until the current one is done in this case.

Right before posting, you can actually set it the way you want to:

597f935a0f6e2_ScreenShot2017-07-31at22_29_39.thumb.png.297308d2c6c8c569d2e0cdb38f829131.png

Cheers,

Frozen

5 minutes ago, vitor said:

I rarely move to the side to add to Dropshelf; I use a shortcut.

That makes things more interesting. Having a multi buffer that is accessible at your finger tips.

That's like the Alfred buffer, however i would love to see an option to handle it better (own shortcuts, maybe workflow option).

Currently you cannot just buffer multiple files in different locaitons quickly and handle them easy.

I often see myself using the "File Selection" to move files, but that's not it yet.

14 minutes ago, vitor said:

But it stands that one could build a similar Alfred Workflow. Have a File Action that copies the paths of the selected files to a new “buffer” and another File Action that adds to an existing buffer (selectable via a Script Filter). Then have a Script Filter that shows all buffers and pastes to the frontmost (Path)Finder window.

Looks like a good idea but needs a lot of steps. I'll see what i can come up with when i have some time :)

• 4 months later...