Web Searches - Search on any website from Alfred

Actually no nvm, you won't get an update because the workflow thinks the latest release is : 1.7.0. As it shows in the logs.

No idea why as in releases there is no 1.7.0 at all. And I do point to the correct repo from my code. ?

I have no idea why that 1.7.0 is there or how I could possibly debug that.I tried to follow the code inside update.GitHub(repo) and I think things should be right. The latest release should be v2.3. I am also not fully sure if I need to put the v letter in my releases but since Alfred has it, I did.

Edited by nikivi

Oops, sorry, I meant 2.1. ?

And I have no idea what happened but it actually shows 2.1.0 now (I am 100 % sure it didn't before ?) But the updating does not seem to kick in. I set 2.0 in my configuration sheet as version and it doesn't trigger me to update workflow. I also tried setting it to 1.0. Made a little screencast of it : http://quick.as/p6x0IRqbG 

I give up on this.

You can't learn everything after all. ?

Edited by nikivi

It doesn't work for me though. Even in my new workflow here.

The latest release is 'v1.1'. I try set workflow's version to 'v1.0' : 

59c0fc777a987_2017-09-19at13_15.png.8ef1620df69f9606385f820516769d47.png

When as latest release is v1.1 : 

59c0fc9ec8fff_2017-09-19at13_16.png.0a1ad79de0c018ceb5eb441c83dccf76.png

and I don't get update prompt : 

59c0fcb0ca650_2017-09-19at13_17.png.40d468c45a0be5bea2f6d46c70cad897.png

Debugger says : 13:17:11 update.go:156: No releases available.

And for Web Searches, same story for me. Although at least the debugger says that latest version is : 

59c0fd1f36997_2017-09-19at13_18.thumb.png.36f70de6d9a8c8f6d4ca880809ddd3bf.png

And I get no update. ? 

59c0fd8d14186_2017-09-19at13_20.png.7e74e35e7179206df4165e4ab852a198.png

Not sure why that works for you. But I am happy it works for someone.

Thank you for any help. 

Edited by nikivi

Oh I see it now. I didn't notice that line. ?

I guess it makes sense that it doesn't trigger to ask for update on each time you call the workflow. I just wanted to check to see if it is working well. 

Now it makes sense though. One small question (and I did think about it), for my time workflow, the updating works well.

But for well searches. I run the 'check'. Then run my workflow but I don't get update. 

59c1099eceae6_2017-09-19at14_12.png.2b6bb9b3bd53cedd987c5d5bc723887c.png

Not quite sure why. Isn't 2.1.0 more recent than 2.0. 

Edited by nikivi
1 hour ago, nikivi said:

The workflow was the one you have

How am I supposed to know that? Presumably, if you've changed the version, you've changed the workflow, too. Why else would you bump the version number?

The bottom line is, you never provide what's needed to help you diagnose whatever problem you're having. Except when it's something super obvious, like the "15 minutes" one above. (Which in turn raises the question of whether you actually spend any of your own time on the problem before coming here to spend ours.)

It's entirely unreasonable to expect somebody to go off and search for your workflow and its source code simply in order to help you.

FWIW, if you're having an issue with a Go workflow, it isn't enough to link to a copy of the workflow. Python/Ruby/PHP workflows necessarily also include the source code, which is required to understand what's going on. If there's only a compiled executable in your workflow (as with Go), you must also provide a link to the same version of the source code the workflow was built with.

For my part, I won't be helping you any more unless everything I need to answer your question is provided or directly linked in your post.

Perhaps @GuiBwill help you out. He's a helpful and knowledgeable chap.

18 minutes ago, deanishe said:

if you've changed the version, you've changed the workflow, too. Why else would you bump the version number?

I just changed the version to test it.

8 hours ago, nikivi said:

The latest release is 'v1.1'. I try set workflow's version to 'v1.0'

8 hours ago, nikivi said:

And for Web Searches, same story for me.

My bad for making assumptions on these things that turns out other people can't understand. And yeah @GuiB is a pretty cool guy.

I've been reading this recently. Something I should make some Anki cards on.

Oh and I am kind of learning things too. And do bring back something positive to this community with my workflows. At least I hope I do. Don't know if anyone actually uses any of them.

Edited by nikivi
25 minutes ago, nikivi said:

I've been reading this recently.

All excellent advice.

Your post still lacks a link to the relevant version of the source code. Like I said, I'm not going to go hunt around GitHub simply in order to help you, especially as you've managed to create two versions tagged 2.1.

Edited by deanishe

The Latest Source Code that the workflow I linked to is built from. Thank you for any help. I really want to just get this auto updating thing to work and never think about it again.

Oh and little 'cool' thing. In my 'alfred-my-mind' workflow. All my workflows are inside 'github' entry. So you can open any of my repos in few seconds. Fun fact.

Edited by nikivi

Hey guys (@deanishe and @nikivi) ! Thanks for the kind words! I like to help people when I have some time and this helps me to learn new things as well! ;)

However, in this case, I never played with Go and AwGo, so I'm not sure I'll be helpful, but, @nikivi, I just downloaded you workflow from your latest version you uploaded on transfer.sh (https://transfer.sh/DgP3l/web-searches.alfredworkflow). I installed it, looked inside, saw there's a hotkey to activate it (ctrl+alt+s) so I did it. Alfred appeared with your workflow items, then at the top there was a mention that a new version was available (not sure if it appeared on the second activation, but it appeared automatically). So I pressed Enter to run the update (if I remember well, I needed to press 2 times Enter before something happened, don't know why). Then, I got prompt by Alfred to update my version (with the standard Alfred interface to install/update a workflow). Then I'm now set at version 2.1 (v2.1)... and things seem to be working...

So, I'm wondering what is the problem exactly ? I thought it was the updating fonction wasn't appearing or working correctly, but it seems to be good from my side ? or maybe I didn't read well or read too fast ?

Best!

1 minute ago, GuiB said:

Alfred appeared with your workflow items, then at the top there was a mention that a new version was available

Yeah, that was the problem. Since the 'update: workflow' item does not appear for me for some reason although I am using the same workflow. ?

In any way. I am happy it works for you. I just wanted to check so that I know the auto updating works correctly and I don't have to worry that users won't be getting updates. Thanks for checking in @GuiB. Hope you like the workflow. ? 

6 minutes ago, GuiB said:

So, I'm wondering what is the problem exactly ?

God knows. They both work correctly for me (except that Niki forgot to include the update icon with his date-of-birth workflow):

59c19b4b09f46_ScreenShot2017-09-20at00_31_00.png.ae150cbd6182955973caaf1c1f13b640.png

59c19b4cf25d7_ScreenShot2017-09-20at00_31_18.png.5f0612b6817ed0262fd671522b667702.png

@nikivi: Try clearing the workflows' caches with the query workflow:delcache, and then run it again. In the case of your Web Searches workflow, check all the results (before entering any query) to see if the update item is simply lower down the list.

3 minutes ago, deanishe said:

In the case of your Web Searches workflow, check all the results (before entering any query)

Found it. 

59c19cb96f4cf_2017-09-20at00_39.png.7d2b3dd998e7bce87a6e51be746eedad.png

So yeah. No problem indeed. I actually searched through there a bit first too but missed it. Also I assumed it would always surface to the top. As intended. 

4 minutes ago, deanishe said:

include the update icon with his date-of-birth workflow

I will add it. Thank you.

Also, @nikivi, add a keyword and Placeholder Title to your Script Filters if you're going to publish your workflows.

Alfred strips Hotkeys when it installs workflows, so your workflows literally do not work unless the user edits them.

You complain that other authors only give their workflows Keywords, and not Hotkeys/External Triggers to their workflows. And then do the same thing yourself by not giving your workflows Keywords.

At least a workflow without Hotkeys still works out of the box…

9 minutes ago, deanishe said:

add a keyword and Placeholder Title to your Script Filters if you're going to publish your workflows.

I will do from now on. 

Only thing. I really really wish @Andrew would fix this issue :

It may not be an issue for many but since I call all my workflows from external trigger. This small flashing every time I call a workflow is super annoying. I want to see my results instantly. ?

I really hope @Andrew will take a look at it and remove it. It even goes to as far as me removing titles and placeholders from all the other workflows I download just because of how annoying this little flash of title is. ?

Edited by nikivi
3 minutes ago, nikivi said:

Also I assumed it would always surface to the top. As intended.

Your assumption is wrong and computers don't understand intentions.

As I told you before, if you give your items UIDs, Alfred will sort the results based on the user's history.

If you want your items shown in the order you add them, you mustn't give them UIDs.

19 minutes ago, deanishe said:

You complain that other authors only give their workflows Keywords, and not Hotkeys/External Triggers

I only ask for external triggers to be added. I don't care about hotkeys.

From now on, I will add an external trigger and a keyword/placeholder though. And I do hope @Andrew will remove that annoying flash of Title when calling script filters from hotkey/external that have a Title/placeholder in them.

If he can add that, I will be so happy. 

@nikivi Alfred doesn't know when your script will return with results, and any change to the default behaviour will inevitably cause undesirable behaviour.

Don't forget that you have full control over dynamic configuration of objects though... why not add a JSON Config utility between the hotkey trigger and the script filter to just set the titles to nothing. For example, something like this:

clear placeholder.png 

You'll probably want to pass through the arg too... set the configuration as something like this:

{
  "alfredworkflow" : {
    "arg" : "{query}",
    "config" : {
      "title" : "",
      "runningsubtext" : "",
      "subtext" : "",
    },
  }
}

Cheers,

Andrew