Oddities with Hotkey using Selection and Browse in Alfred [Fixed 3.5 b867 pre-release]

GuiB

The behaviour is quite strange when activating an action with a hotkey that use the selection in macOS and is active when Alfred is in focus... 

I want to create some actions that work with files when browsing in Alfred using the builtin browser and that are triggered by a hotkey. However, it seems that Alfred doesn't always restore the focused application correctly when the action goes back to Alfred using the "Browse in Alfred" object since the hotkey doesn't always work the second time.

Here is a workflow to easily test what I'm describing with different situations that work or not: 

https://nofile.io/f/AZCX1X9vo6m/HotKey+Issue+In+Alfred.alfredworkflow

In short, it always work when I specify to activate Alfred with an applescript or (strangely) when the action trigger a "Run Script" with Applescript / Python / Ruby / PHP / Javascript as language, but not with Bash / Perl / ZSH or by sending the path to browse using the "Arg and Vars" object...

@Andrew, yes I know this is maybe unusual, but I thought I would let you know in case you find a quick and easy fix. However, yes, don't put this as high priority as there's workarounds to make it works nevertheless and I don't think a lot of people do things like that and just use File Actions instead, but I find it quite great to have some shortcuts like that to work with file rapidly.

Thanks again for all your support!

@GuiB Ah sorry, I mis-read your issue - you actually WANT to use these hotkeys within Alfred; yeah this should work hm.

Looking a bit deeper into this, I can see what is happening. Alfred simulates a cmd+c when getting the selection in a hotkey and picks up the content. When Alfred is showing and you manually use cmd+c, Alfred automatically hides so you can use what you've copied - These two actions obviously interfere. When Alfred is re-showing again, in some circumstances (e.g. browse in Alfred), the code I have which makes Alfred (being a floating panel instead of a window) be noticed as the active application isn't being correctly run.

• Andrew changed the title to Oddities with Hotkey using Selection and Browse in Alfred [Accepted]

@Andrew, then I guess we both mis-read each other ;)

I thought you understood me and said that hotkeys that are assigned to Alfred focus could get some unpredicted behaviour since macOS window focus identification is weird with floating panel window...

But yes, I want everything to happen inside Alfred (the selection is the selected item in Alfred). Look at my last action in the Workflow to have a better understanding of what I'm doing, but I just want to create shortcuts to an action that works on the selected file in Alfred (ex: create a symbolic link of the selected folder, or create a new file or folder...)

I thought this was maybe just a matter of making sure the "Browse in Alfred" always put the focus to Alfred, but I know sometimes it could be more complicated than what we think. So that's why I didn't want to push too much this bug report, but if it's an easy fix then sure this would be appreciated if you can easily fix it at a point :)

Edited by GuiB

@GuiB the focus is with Alfred, but because of the conflict I noted above, Alfred's hotkey manager has de-registered the hotkey so it's no longer active.

There are a few options for fixing this. The one I'm considering would be to make Alfred not hide when a simulated cmd+c happens, which would be nice as you also wouldn't get a flicker when doing what you want. The down side of this is it may cause regression if somebody is using a hotkey with macOS selection and relying on Alfred from hiding for their action.

That would be great to make it works so Alfred doesn't flicker

About your regression... but if Alfred is in front, wouldn't the macOS selection be always the one that is set in Alfred ? I mean, for example, if I have a file selected in Finder and pop Alfred to do something and do a hotkey to run the action. If I set the hotkey to get the selection from macOS and make the hotkey as global (no specific focus), then I would get the item in Alfred that has the selection even if Finder is just behind.

I mean, if someone want a hotkey that works with the macOS selection, but want Alfred to hide when triggered, then why would it shows Alfred first? It just needs to trigger the hotkey on the specific application without showing Alfred first

Or I just don't get what you said ?

Edited by GuiB

@GuiB A simple use case... A hotkey wired to take the selection and run a script with it (doesn't matter what). When triggered with Alfred visible on the selected item in Alfred's default results, or Alfred's file system navigation, Alfred hides - this is just the behaviour (wether right or wrong). If a user is expecting this action to happen, and have setup their workflow expecting this to happen, changing the behaviour could break their workflow. I know this could be fixed with adding a 'hide Alfred' object, but that makes it a regression.

On another note, I've done a one line code fix which changes internal window event order, so this is essentially fixed now (even though it still flickers).

Ah ok, I think I understand, I thought you were talking that this would change the behaviour of the selected item (not getting the same selection), but you mean this is changing the behaviour of Alfred hiding itself (the window would stay there). Then do what you think is best for you and the application. For sure, I wouldn't want a regression that would give you more support work, so I'm fine with having Alfred flicker.

Or what about adding an option to the hotkey object to specify if we want Alfred to hide or not ? Then you could keep it to hide by default and if we know that we want to keep Alfred focus, we would just have to change this option (or if not set and want to keep Alfred, then we would just see it flicker as it is). So, this shouldn't break any workflow.

• Andrew changed the title to Oddities with Hotkey using Selection and Browse in Alfred [Fixed 3.5 b867 pre-release]