Appearance / transparency issues on macOS 10.13 [Fixed 3.5.1 b878 pre-release]

FlyingTruelle

Hi,

Since I switched to macOS 10.13 I have some problems with Alfred.

Indeed, I had to lower the window blur to reduce the lag. This problem is now solved.
On the other hand, I have another "esthetic" concern:
When I call Alfred, the window opens normally: the theme is displayed correctly (1st photo) But if I use the actions panel for a selected file, there is a kind of white frame which appears behind the window (2nd picture) And so, this frame reappears as I use Alfred (3rd picture). I have to change the theme to make disappear this frame.

Is there a solution to this problem?

Kind regards,

Julien

PS: Sorry for my poor English...

59cf4f21cc39b_Capturedcran2017-09-2717_19_18.thumb.jpg.4662d44ffbd559fee13c63919e262347.jpg59cf4ef267969_Capturedcran2017-09-2717_18_13.thumb.jpg.ab904f4a338e04cf440da17aca2c1078.jpg59cbd1a1c22ea_Capturedcran2017-09-2717_24_43.thumb.jpg.300ba33538c60459035a87f45108c830.jpg

Edited by FlyingTruelle

I have this issue too (High Sierra stable 17A365, Alfred 3.5 (876)!

It's the transparency that brakes (It also happens with blur set to 0). If you add a file to the buffer the upper part becomes completely opaque. I attach two pictures with "Alfred MacOS" theme.

ok.png

issue.png

@FlyingTruelle @Diegobit Thanks for your respective posts - This seems to be a High Sierra bug and only affects a small subset of Macs, with specific graphics cards, so we've been unable to replicate it with our own hardware here.

Could you please let me know exactly what Mac hardware you're both using? :) 

Cheers,
Vero

We are gathering together information to put together a bug report for Apple relating to Quick Look / the Quick Look preview panel, for now, if you are not fussed about seeing this, you can turn off rich file previews in Alfred's Features > File Search > Previews.

Cheers,

Andrew

• Andrew changed the title to Appearance / transparency issues on macOS 10.13

Anybody experiencing this issue, could they try this build:

http://cachefly.alfredapp.com/scratch/Alfred_3.5.1_878.dmg

...which replaces the QLPreviewPanel with a static icon representation of the file instead in both Alfred's file navigation view and clipboard history file view.

Note that this is essentially an untested beta build, but should work fine.

• Andrew changed the title to Appearance / transparency issues on macOS 10.13 [Accepted]
On 27/09/2017 at 7:35 PM, FlyingTruelle said:

Hi,

Since I switched to macOS 10.13 I have some problems with Alfred.

Indeed, I had to lower the window blur to reduce the lag. This problem is now solved.

I've noticed an issue when I try invoke Alfred in macOS High Sierra. Sometimes the hotkey doesn't do anything the first time I invoke Alfred and I have to do it again. I'm not sure if this is related to the lag issue?

On the other hand, Spotlight opens immediately when I invoke it using its hotkeys.

@depressiveRobot The fix in 3.5.1 should be stopping the original issue described in this post so if you're using the latest build and are still having this issue, could you please provide more details? In which situations exactly do you see the issue, which theme are you using, etc?

You can also double-check you're running the right build by clicking on the bowler hat in the menu bar, where you'll see which version and build you're using :)

Cheers,
Vero

On 05/10/2017 at 2:24 PM, Vero said:

@depressiveRobot The fix in 3.5.1 should be stopping the original issue described in this post so if you're using the latest build and are still having this issue, could you please provide more details? In which situations exactly do you see the issue, which theme are you using, etc?

You can also double-check you're running the right build by clicking on the bowler hat in the menu bar, where you'll see which version and build you're using :)

Cheers,
Vero

You are right. The issue is now fixed. I can set blur to max without any lag. However, the lag was still there after updating to version 3.5.1 [878] yesterday. Maybe the incremental High Sierra update today or the system restart fixed it now. Nevertheless, thank you for the fix!

On 05/10/2017 at 10:43 AM, Andrew said:

@pauljacobson double check that Alfred's hotkey isn't conflicting with Spotlights - if you are getting intermediate behaviour like this, it's more usually a hotkey conflict.

Thanks for the suggestion. That isn't it. I re-mapped the Spotlight trigger keys to Option+Space so I could use Cmd+Space for Alfred.

On 05/10/2017 at 3:24 PM, Vero said:

I seem to be running 3.5 (I'm not getting an option to update to 3.5.1). I'll manually update and see if this resolves my issue too.

Unfortunately, the problem still exists!

My setup consists of two displays: the internal display (MacBook) and an external one.

When blur is set to maximum:

• both displays, Alfred on the external display: no lag
  • both displays, Alfred on internal display: lag
  • only external display: no lag
  • only internal display: lag

Setting blur to under 50%, there is no lag at all (no matter which setup).

Theme: https://github.com/depressiveRobot/alfred-theme-material-mac

Alfred: v3.5.1 [878]

macOS: 10.13 (17A405)

• Andrew changed the title to Appearance / transparency issues on macOS 10.13 [Fixed 3.5.1 b878 pre-release]