Allow moving multiple nodes with three finger drag

vitor

I’m pretty sure this worked before, then stopped working, started working again on the latest 3.5 pre-releases, and then stopped working again. If I’m mistaken and this never worked, I think it should (for consistency with macOS).

When editing a Workflow, we can select multiple nodes by clicking and dragging with the cursor. We can then move them all at once with the arrow keys or by clicking and dragging. Except this (no longer?) works wit three finger drag (3fd). I can 3fd to select, but then I have to click the trackpad (touch is not enough) to move.

What I would expect (and is consistent with the behaviour of the OS, like in the Finder) is:

• 3fd on an empty space: make a marquee selection.
  • 3fd on an element: select and drag the element; drag all selected elements if the one where we started was part of the selection.

macOS 10.12.6

Alfred 3.5 (876)

Edited by vitor

• deanishe changed the title to Moving multiple nodes with cursor stopped working

Figured out the exact behaviour:

I have three finger drag (3fd) enabled. I can 3fd to select, but then I have to click the trackpad (touch is not enough) to move.

What I would expect (and is consistent with the behaviour of the OS, like in the Finder) is:

• 3fd on an empty space: make a marquee selection.
  • 3fd on an element: select and drag the element; drag all selected elements if the one where we started was part of the selection.

I wish. I actually have 2 Macs: a 2008 Mac Pro (doesn't support Sierra) and a 2012 MacBook Air (does). I finally upgraded the MBA to Sierra (and installed dev tools on it) because I had to fix the background bug in Alfred-Workflow.

As I can't work without a computer and certain applications, what I always do is upgrade my Mac Pro first, because if something doesn't work, I can just reboot into the previous system from the second drive, which is a mirror of the boot drive, and carry on working. Max. downtime is under 5 minutes, and the only "problem" is that I have to live with a spinning disk just as long as it takes to re-mirror that drive back to the SSD.

I can't do that with the MBA, meaning potential downtime is 5+ hours to restore the old system. As I work with it almost every weekday, that meant setting aside an entire Saturday just in case something went wrong.

As a result, I was very reluctant to upgrade it to a configuration I hadn't first tested on the Mac Pro. Since then, when I've said "I don't have Sierra", what I really meant was, "my Sierra computer is in a bag in the other room, and I can't be bothered to fetch it."

Theoretically, I can install both Sierra and High Sierra on the Mac Pro, but that means effectively turning it into a some-things-may-not-work Hackintosh, which doesn't sound like a great idea to me.

Edited by deanishe

I just enabled 3 finger drag on my iMac with magic trackpad 2, and can three finger drag a selection then three finger drag the objects around in Alfred's workflow editor.

This is using 3.5 and 10.12.6, same config as you.

Is there something else I need to do to reproduce this not working?

On 10/1/2017 at 7:15 AM, Andrew said:

I just enabled 3 finger drag on my iMac with magic trackpad 2, and can three finger drag a selection then three finger drag the objects around in Alfred's workflow editor.

This is using 3.5 and 10.12.6, same config as you.

Is there something else I need to do to reproduce this not working?

You have to enable three finger drag and Tap to click.

0QJVXM2.png

2 hours ago, Andrew said:

Are you tapping between making the selection and dragging?

No. Now I see that if I do a "explicit" tap between one thing and other I can move all nodes at once which is pretty weird. It's not consistent with the macOS normal behaviour, just try to three finger drag multiple files in Finder and you will note that "explicitly" tapping after 3f selecting is not required to 3f dragging all of them.

As @xilopaint, I can now reproduce reliably. What works:

1. 3fdrag to select.

2. 3ftap on one of the nodes **and wait about a second**.

4. 3fdrag.

The waiting is crucial. If I tap and drag quickly, I drag just one node; If I tap and keep my fingers still for about one second, I drag them all.

As already mentioned by @xilopaint, this is inconsistent with the rest of the OS, hence why it was tripping us up.

3 minutes ago, Andrew said:

If you miss step 2, then it works fine. The single tap on one of the nodes obviously selects that single node.

Just 3 finger drag a selection, then 3 finger drag immediately.

Here is the opposite. If I miss the step 2 it doesn't work in Alfred. In the rest of macOS I don't need the step 2.

@vitor @xilopaint I'm going to move this to Closed now.

This is a good example of a case where Andrew and I both spent a lot of time today trying to reproduce the issue you reported, rather than work on an actual Alfred release and on support. You guys are experienced users, so things like checking for third-party tools interference is something I'd be grateful if you could do before putting in a bug report.

Cheers,
Vero