Ghyslain

[Solved] Search Drive File Stream

I've added /Volumes/GoogleDrive to search scope, waited many days, tried removed and re-adding...but Alfred still does not search it. Any help please?

Edited by Peterp

@Peterp @Ghyslain @Xavez The Google team have stated that the File Stream doesn't currently support Spotlight, which means that other apps - like Alfred - that rely on the metadata normally provided by files on your Mac are also unable to present results from File Stream.

You can find the statement made by the Google team, as well as a link where you can express your interest in indexing being supported, here:

Cheers,
Vero

Thanks for the update! Ugh, I already disliked FS, now ever more so...Google has this nasty habit of forcing people to upgrade to newer products that have less features...

@Bret Fisher That's fantastic news!  Can you confirm you can find your Google Drive files using Spotlight?

If so, adding Google Drive to your search scope (or creating a File Filter workflow to specifically search Google Drive) should be sufficient.

If you still can't find files as expected, could you please install the Alfred Metadata tool and drag one of the Google Drive files to it? It should provide some insight into whether all the metadata is complete.

https://cachefly.alfredapp.com/tools/AlfredMetadataTool_v1.1.zip

Cheers,
Vero

Hey sorry, I never saw this reply. I now have notify turned on in here 😁.  Adding Google Drive File Stream to my Alfred search scope works (defaults to looking like a mounted drive and has path of /Volumes/GoogleDrive) and I see file and folder results. Because the files are streamed when opened and not really there by default, I added a "File Search > No Previews In" for the path to prevent potential unnecessary Internet traffic for previews as I use Alfred to search.

When I drag a file from GDFS into the Metadata tool, it works as expected... the tool freezes a minute while I see the GDFS menu icon "spinning" indicating it's downloading the file for use (a similar experience to a slow network file server). 

1163800647_alfredmetatdata.thumb.png.119a28368e03c35b704a5c217d7e3aa7.png