Way to Test the Snippet Expansion Before Purchasing?

I am looking for an app to replace Textexpander (and hopefully a means to import the existing textexpander snippets)* so I downloaded Alfred but it appears the feature is only in the PowerPack version for which I can't find a trial. Is it possible to play around with it a bit?

*Every import from textexpander feature I have found for Alfred and otherwise refers to the conversion of .textexpander files. I think textexpander changed that some time ago. Unless there is some hidden export function, all exported files from user accounts are .csv and the conversion utilities either don't work or import addition code (html from the looks of it) as well.

I did learn that the required .textexpander can be created within textexpander by saving a group. As to whether it is possible to play with these features (I'm most interested in the snippet, workflow and clipboard), I'm no further ahead. I'm also wondering if rather than typing can voice commands be used?

The only response I received so far was from an admin requesting that I include in my forum profile my powerpack email to confirm my powerpack status. No details outlining how that relates to my forum inquiry and evaluation and as it has been a few days I'm left to assume that the only way to evaluate is to purchase?

I did reply to explain to my knowledge that I do not have such an email and if it is issued after purchasing, I had not yet purchased but was evaluating before purchase. Seems a bit of a Catch 22

AFAIK, there is no demo mode or evaluation period for the Powerpack.

If snippets is all you’re interested in, you might be better off looking at dedicated snippet-expansion apps. Alfred’s snippet engine is just one of many features, and  isn’t as powerful as standalone snippet engines.

Technically, you can use snippet triggers in workflows to do most things you’d expect from a snippet app, but it’s not as streamline as with a dedicated snippet app like TextExpander or Typinator (what I now use).

Deanishe, thank you for your reply.

Based on what I could tell from screenshots and feature elaboration on Alfred website, that is what I had concluded regarding the snippets.

I am currently evaluating Typinator as an alternative to Textexpander which I've used for several years. I've evaluated a couple of others as well. The biggest downside so far to Typinator is that as opposed to Textexpander which allowed the inclusion of images inside a formatted text snippet (along with an image hyperlink) which is something that the snippets that I use most frequently in daily emails currently can do, Typinator appears to separate these features requiring triggering several snippets/email which requires remembering to do so.

One feature I cannot find in a text expansion app that I'm hoping Alfred might help with, is the ability to trigger specific attachments in emails. I like so many others am prone to forgetting to include attachments in emails. I haven't found any text expansion app that does so.

I don't have any experience with workflows and can't play with Alfred's due to the restrictions in the evaluation version. Is this something that falls within the realm of workflows?

:) 

Alfred’s snippets are plaintext only. No rich text. No images.

2 minutes ago, clancularius said:

trigger specific attachments in emails.

That’s pretty far removed from snippets, tbh.

Yes, Alfred could theoretically do that via a snippet trigger, but it depends entirely on which email program you use.

Regarding attachments, I have asked the various developers of the text expansion apps and the response has been similar to yours. Mostly saying can't be done. However, I know that at least one time it was done and done well. Before the current crop of text expansion apps there was a fellow that had a basement development version (for some reason I think he was Turkish) that I used for a few years. It did everything, including adding the attachments. Fantastic little app. It was free with the option of making donations. I did send money from time to time but I guess he was swallowed up by better financed or marketed competition. While his app was hard on the eyes it was superior to everything that is currently on the market.

I use Mac Mail. I don't have much experience with Automator and none with Applescript but I suspect that it can be done in this manner.

Are you aware of any Alfred workflow tutorials for someone that knows nothing about workflows so I can attempt to learn how they are used?

I think adding adding an attachment can be done with many email programs by pasting the file into the compose window.

1 hour ago, clancularius said:

workflow tutorials for someone that knows nothing about workflows so I can attempt to learn how they are used?

There are several, but they don’t really cover what you’re trying to do, as it’s Mail.app automation rather than using Alfred. 

You could do worse than to read the official help docs:

https://www.alfredapp.com/help/workflows/

As for solving your specific problem, I’d try using AppleScript to copy and paste the file. I’m pretty sure Mail.app also lets you create a message with an attachment via AppleScript, too. 

I was about to tell the same thing as @deanishe about pasting the file to the email application since most of them put a pasted file as attachment, but I needed to go and then @deanishe said it. But to make it more complete and easily done by you or anyone reading this post. Here is a simple example using AppleScript to paste a specific file into the front application.

(Just change the first line to the path of your specific file and you should be set to go)

set filePath to "/path/to/your/file"
set the clipboard to POSIX file (POSIX path of ((POSIX file filePath) as alias))
tell application "System Events" to keystroke "v" using command down

Then any Snippet Expansion application that allows to run an AppleScript should be fine with this... I've tried it in Typinator (I'm also a user) and it's working and there shouldn't be a problem in Alfred but by using a custom Workflow with a Snippet trigger that run the script. One advantage to Alfred using a Workflow is that this could allow you to use one snippet to popup a list of different file so you can select which one you want to insert as attachment. (Maybe it could be possible with Typinator with some Input fields, but it's not something that I looked into yet)

About Typinator problem to include image with hyperlink inside a formatted text snippet. On my side I'm able to do it... or maybe I didn't read you correctly, but here is how I do it:

1. Create a new snippet
  2. Put the abbreviation that you want
  3. Put the snippet as formatted text (or rich text... don't know how it's written in English, mine is in French at the moment)
  4. Write the text that you want as you want it
  5. Open the image that you want to include in Preview (or maybe you could just copy the file from Finder and skip #6, but I get different size)
  6. Press CMD+A to select the image and then copy it (CMD+C)
  7. Go back to Typinator and put your cursor where your want to paste your image
  8. Paste the image (you should now see it in your snippet)
  9. Select you image inside the formatted text snippet
  10. Just above the text field of the snippet and just on the right of where you set the snippet as formatted text, there's a drop-down menu with an A icon. Click there and at the bottom you would see "Modify link..." (or something like that), then click there (or do CMD+K instead of going to this menu) and paste your URL.

Now you should be set!

Edited by GuiB
2 hours ago, GuiB said:

About Typinator problem to include image with hyperlink inside a formatted text snippet. On my side I'm able to do it... or maybe I don't read you correctly, but here is how I do it:

1. Create a new snippet
  2. Put the abbreviation that you want
  3. Put the snippet as formatted text (or rich text... don't know how it's written in English, mine is in French at the moment)
  4. Write the text that you want as you want it
  5. Open the image that you want to include in Preview (or maybe you could just copy the file from Finder and skip #6, but I get different size)
  6. Press CMD+A to select the image and then copy it (CMD+C)
  7. Go back to Typinator and put your cursor where your want to paste your image
  8. Paste the image (you should now see it in your snippet)
  9. Select you image inside the formatted text snippet
  10. Just above the text field of the snippet and just on the right of where you set the snippet as formatted text, there's a drop-down menu with an A icon. Click there and at the bottom you would see "Modify link..." (or something like that), then click there (or do CMD+K instead of going to this menu) and paste your URL.

Now you should be set!

Merci beaucoup!