Alfred stopped file searching through Google Drive volume

able

Hi there, Alfred has stopped searching through Google Drive! It worked at first but it no longer seems to be looking in there. I've double checked the Search Scope and the correct folder ("/volumes/GoogleDrive") is there. I am using Google Drive File Stream.

Thanks in advance for anyone that can help

@able We haven't yet had the opportunity to test Google Drive File Stream first-hand, but I suspect that these files are not stored locally, and are just proxy files for an online storage solution.

According to other users, Spotlight doesn't find the Google Drive File Stream files as they're not indexed, so Alfred won't find them either.

If you move a file to your Desktop, is it then indexed and found by both? If so, you may want to visit Google Drive forums and establish whether it's possible for Spotlight to index File Stream files. (Do share your findings if you find anything interesting, as it's likely to help other users).

Cheers,
Vero

7 hours ago, able said:

It worked at first but it no longer seems to be looking in there.

2 minutes ago, Vero said:

I suspect that these files are not stored locally, and are just proxy files for an online storage solution.

Perhaps it works like iCloud Drive, where a file can either be the file itself or a reference, and the software makes that decision. That would explain why it worked before and stopped.

Hi all,

Thanks for the response. I thought this was a really niche issue so I didn't search the forum, but turns out it's common. Sorry for adding a topic to the mess.

This is kind of weird, and I don't understand why, but it started working again. Spotlight can find it too. I'm not sure what circumstances led it to work or not, perhaps it converted the files back from references?