able

Update on Google Drive File Stream & Spotlight Indexing

Hi there,

I posted a report that Spotlight & Alfred were not indexing the volume used in the new Google Drive File Stream volume, which was since closed. As recommended I got in touch with Google Suite people who had this to say

"Unfortunately currently the File stream does't fully support Spotlight. The files for File stream are not stored in a separate File Stream cache which can't be indexed by Spotlight. There are some reports that if you reinstall the File stream it will work for a while but this is not an officially supported feature yet. There is an existing feature idea from the Cloud connect portal. You can vote for it as well and I hope that more options are added in future updates https://www.cloudconnect.goog/ideas/11068. I was checking for that as well but currently there are no reported workarounds besides reinstalling the app which is reported to work in some cases. I could't see any settings you can change to make this work"

So that's the status as far as Google are concerned. The only workaround that would technically work would be to downgrade back down to the old Google Drive, though you lose the features of GDFS and it also has no support for Team Drives. Another workaround is to use this Google Drive workflow, but it is slower and only lets you go to files and not folders. I may actually downgrade to the old Google Drive app; I really miss the lightning fast ability to use Google Drive through Alfred. I'm also going to try to see what the status from the Apple Support side.

5 hours ago, able said:

the status from the Apple Support side

Seems to be 100% Google's fault, tbh. If GD File Stream were a real filesystem with real files, Spotlight would be able to index it. Like with Google Drive.

1 hour ago, Anders Ankarlid said:

Would very much appreciate if this could be solved from Googles side. 

Then please go make a post on their forum telling them that. Google isn't going to see your post here…

There are nowhere near enough people kicking up a stink about GDFS not working with Spotlight or Time Machine.

I added the Google Drive Volume here:

Alfred preferences -> Default Results -> Seach Scope

Alfred started finding files in Google File Stream.

It's incredibly frustrating not being able to find files using Alfred. Hopefully this will work for everybody else :)

Edited by nkloster

Hey,

The solution nkloster shared tends to work temporarily and then stops working after a bit. Having said that, it has been working pretty unfailingly in the last few weeks for me.

Just reporting in with the same problem. it works for my colleague but not for me.

Exact same settings in Alfred and Spotlight.

Hi @wolfr, welcome to the forum.

As noted above, this is 100% Google's fault. GDFS is not a real filesystem, so the system can't index it. Please complain to Google about it: there's nothing the Alfred team can do.

On 3/8/2018 at 2:59 PM, deanishe said:

Then please go make a post on their forum telling them that. Google isn't going to see your post here…

Well, I doubt they are going to see the post even on their forum anyway…

Posted (edited)

Google is actually pretty responsive to their paying customers. G Suite is important to them.

Last time I posted a problem I was having on the G Suite forum, a Google employee phoned me the next day.

On a not-particularly-relevant note, I’ve dumped GDFS. I’ve only got a few 100 MBs of data in my Gdrive, but somehow that turd of a program had created over 11GB of cache files.

Edited by deanishe