Vidar Ramdal

Unable to add workflow as fallback result

From reading the documentation, it seems possible to add a workflow as a fallback result, but I seem to be missing something.

In my case, I have created a nice little workflow that just takes whatever text I have entered, and appends it to a text file. Now, I can invoke this workflow by typing

log <my text>

which works fine.

But I'd like to avoid having to enter 'log' - ideally I'd just enter the text, and select the 'log' action, just like I do with e.g. Google search.

I thought I could set this up under Alfred Preferences -> Features -> Default Results -> Setup fallback results. The screenshot from the documentation implies I should be able to add my workflow here:

Documentation-screenshot.png.28c72088f24bc1802644de67161fda8a.png

But pressing the '+' button, I get no option to add a Workflow Trigger, only 'Web Search' and 'Custom Search':

Alfred_Preferences.png.62531a4ac5e3427e6580cff7db908860.png

Shouldn't there be a 'Workflow Trigger' menu item here? If not, how do I add a workflow trigger to the fallback results?

It sounds like you haven't added a Fallback Search trigger to your workflow.

If that's not the case, please upload your workflow somewhere and post a link. It's not really possible to diagnose issues with workflows we've never seen.

13 minutes ago, deanishe said:

It sounds like you haven't added a Fallback Search trigger to your workflow.

You're right, I didn't know I had to do that. Thanks!

Adding a Fallback Search trigger to the workflow causes 'Workflow Trigger' to be available in the Fallback Search setup dialog:

Alfred_Preferences.png.5be1e933111f5c8e23bea7d4539b28bd.png

... which causes "Log this" to appear in the list of fallback results, which is what I wanted:

Alfred_window.thumb.png.3e3e40a00a21041c9241c73909bb9866.png

Edited by Vidar Ramdal
Added more context to the answer