Clipboard viewer stuck on screen after wake from sleep

Hi guys!

I keep seeing a weird little issue with Alfred 3.5.1 and I just wanted to ask if you've heard about it before:

Oftentimes when I wake my MacBook Pro from sleep in the morning, Alfred's clipboard viewer will be stuck on the screen, with Alfred not responding to shortcuts or anything like that - I can move down the clipboard list (so the viewer is at least responding to the arrow keys), but I cannot do anything else with Alfred and I cannot make the clipboard viewer go away, no matter what I do. It stays on top of everything else and just sits there, the only way to get rid of it is to quit Alfred via the menu bar item.

I guess the issue first came up a couple of months ago (I'm pretty sure it was after Alfred 3.5.1 was released) and it always goes away without me doing anything and then comes back a couple of days or a week later. For the last couple of days the clipboard viewer has been stuck on screen consistently every morning - and while it is not a problem or a big deal at all and just a tiny little bit annoying, I figured I'd ask in the forum if this has been mentioned before. I couldn't find anything via the forum search, so I started a new topic.

Thanks & cheers,

Anna

- Alfred 3.5.1

- macOS Sierra 10.12.6

- MacBook Pro Retina, 15", mid 2015

@shadylane This sounds peculiar, and possibly indicates that Alfred is struggling to access the clipboard database. This could be one of a couple of things, firstly, it could be that the hard drive is asleep, OR it could be that the clipboard database has become corrupt. Could you try rebuilding this db by clearing the clipboard history from the preferences > features > clipboard > clear now button.

Let me know how you get on!

Cheers,

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Andrew, thanks so much for your reply - I'm sorry it took me so long to get back to you, I must have missed the notification email. 

The clipboard issue went away and came back since my initial post, there's really no logic to it, it seems. I have cleared the history just now - I must admit that I never even noticed the "Clear Now" button... that might be it, I'm using the clipboard history A LOT (for big stuff as well, like graphics from Illustrator & InDesign) and have never cleared it before... I will let you know how it goes :)

Thanks again & cheers,

Anna

Sooo, after rebuilding the clipboard database, I had no problems for two days - but today the issue was back... I just wanted to report my "progress" ;D

I don't know if my internal SSD could be responsible - I haven't noticed anything drive-related being wonky and it's the original drive that came with the MacBook Pro. Whatever the case may be, it's not a big deal - I can always just quit and relaunch Alfred via the menu bar item and get on with my life ;) 

I will definitely keep an eye on the clipboard issue, but I'm kind of hoping it will just go away with a future update to either Alfred or macOS - it wouldn't be the first time that weird little issues like that disappear by themselves.

Have a great weekend! And - as always: thanks for the most important piece of software I ever had since getting my first Mac 18 years ago :D

Anna

@shadylane while Alfred's clipboard history is stuck on the screen, could you open Activity Monitor, select Alfred 3 then select View > Sample Process from the menu bar. Pop this in an email to our info@ address and I'll take a look - it could give a better clue as to what is blocking Alfred!

Cheers,

Andrew