meites

Email Search

I've been trying to figure out why my mail isn't coming up in my search.  The "exclude button" isnt checked, and I've added the ~/Library/Mail as well as the ~/Library/Messages, neither seems to yield any results.  Any idea how i can get my email and messages in the search?

Thanks

Look in this discussion (first attachment) for some tips and info on this and @Vero gave a workflow for that that may be useful to you (see second attachment)

)

@meites Welcome to the forum! If you're a Powerpack user (which is a requirement to use either of the workflows linked by @GuiB), please fill in your Powerpack email address in your forum profile. This is only visible to admins and allows us to confirm your registered email address :)

If you're not a Powerpack user, including emails from Mail.app should be as simple as:

• Adding ~/Library/Mail/ to your search scope
  • Unchecking "Emails" from the "Don't Show" list in Features > File Search

You can then search using either the "open" keyword, or pressing the spacebar (which is the shortcut to "open"). This adds a fair amount of noisy results to your File Search, so it's preferable to use a File Filter workflow like this one to search your emails:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5h3djhw2thf8xjp/Mail.app Search 3.0.alfredworkflow?dl=0

It's worth noting that the workflow above assumes you're using Mail.app - you didn't mention which email client you're using so if you're using a different one, email data may not be stored in the same place. 

Cheers,
Vero

@Vero - thanks for this flow. Is there any way to get it to sort Mail.app's results returned by creation or modification date? I get a mix of emails near the top that span the last 10 years!

I tried changing the file filter date range to last 30 days, but it doesn't seem to affect the results.

Thanks,

Pat

@patgilmour While the files can't be returned in date order as such (as they're sorted by relevance if you've already opened some of the files more recently), you can certainly use the File Filter's Advanced > Date Range, as this is something I use in my own modified version of the workflow.

Keep in mind that the creation and modification date are both taken into account, so take a look at the dates in the metadata (either by revealing it in Finder and looking at the Get Info, or by using Alfred's Metadata Tool: https://cachefly.alfredapp.com/tools/AlfredMetadataTool_v1.1.zip)

Also, just in case it caught you out, remember that you need to save/close the File Filter window with your change if you've used the dropdown to set a different Date Range before your workflow will take it into account. :) 

Cheers,
Vero

@Vero Thanks! I checked and unfortunately a lot of my older emails have a Mod Date of 12 Jan 2019—must have happened during some iCloud issues I was having over the weekend.

I guess there's no easy way to restrict to creation date only?

@Vero - that would be very welcome if/when it’s on the table.

Meantime, things will improve each day here as the mass of emails with the same mod date move beyond 3, 7 days mod date etc.

Thanks for your speedy, useful answers—much appreciated!