Workflow for Outlook V16 Search

Thanks for a great workflow @xeric, it improves my workday a lot! 

It's nice how the search results open in the current space without activating the Outlook app first, and thereby avoiding potentially switching space in order to focus it.

Would it be possible to implement the same behaviour for composing new messages using olknew? I.e. opening a new message in the current space without activating/focusing the base Outlook app.

Cheers, M

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I have Outlook for Mac version 16.56.  The workflow opens up the search (shortcut olk) of the emails correctly, but will not open them.  It only brings the Outlook app up, not the individual email.  It also doesn't seem to find any of the current emails in my Inbox.  

Mac 11.6.1

Debug log:

Edited by rigo

are you using the 'New Outlook'? If so, try to turn it off, Applescript is not supported (it sounds like it will be at some point) and the parts of the workflow relying on Applescript are not working. 

Also, your debug file is huge and mostly containing your personal email, you might want to delete if the problem is resolved. 

Edited by giovanni
1 hour ago, giovanni said:

are you using the 'New Outlook'? If so, try to turn it off, Applescript is not supported (it sounds like it will be at some point) and the parts of the workflow relying on Applescript are not working. 

Also, your debug file is huge and mostly containing your personal email, you might want to delete if the problem is resolved. 

Thank you.  I turned it off and it seems to be doing a much better job of searching and opening the actual emails.  

*I deleted the file.  

New to the forum. Had the same issue with "New Outlook" .... searched and identified the email - "New Outlook" doesn't bring up the message but legacy outlook does. Which is a pity as I like the New Outlook better. Using 16.57 Outlook version on Mac with 12.2.1.

I am not using workflows - can someone point me to the workflow being discussed here? thank you

• 4 weeks later...

Hi I just installed Alfred on my Laptop running Monterrey 12.3 and Outlook 16.58. I installed Alfred-Outlook 0.1.9 but unable to search any emails

image.png.4bd2fd2aa1a9657f891d22beb24dadbd.png

I ran the debugger

18:28:30.669] Outlook Search[Script Filter] Queuing argument 'r'

[18:28:30.674] Outlook Search[Script Filter] Script with argv 'r' finished

[18:28:30.675] ERROR: Outlook Search[Script Filter] Code 127: /Users/chrisv/Library/Caches/com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred/Workflow Scripts/ADF31A62-7AF4-4B1C-B858-1864BA29CBCB: line 4: python: command not found

[18:28:30.710] Outlook Search[Script Filter] Queuing argument 'ro'

[18:28:30.714] Outlook Search[Script Filter] Script with argv 'ro' finished

[18:28:30.715] ERROR: Outlook Search[Script Filter] Code 127: /Users/chrisv/Library/Caches/com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred/Workflow Scripts/ADF31A62-7AF4-4B1C-B858-1864BA29CBCB: line 4: python: command not found

[18:28:31.066] Outlook Search[Script Filter] Queuing argument 'rob'

[18:28:31.137] Outlook Search[Script Filter] Queuing argument 'robe'

[18:28:31.141] Outlook Search[Script Filter] Script with argv 'rob' finished

[18:28:31.142] ERROR: Outlook Search[Script Filter] Code 127: /Users/chrisv/Library/Caches/com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred/Workflow Scripts/ADF31A62-7AF4-4B1C-B858-1864BA29CBCB: line 4: python: command not found

[18:28:31.212] Outlook Search[Script Filter] Script with argv 'robe' finished

[18:28:31.216] ERROR: Outlook Search[Script Filter] Code 127: /Users/chrisv/Library/Caches/com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred/Workflow Scripts/ADF31A62-7AF4-4B1C-B858-1864BA29CBCB: line 4: python: command not found

[18:28:31.367] Outlook Search[Script Filter] Queuing argument 'rober'

[18:28:31.438] Outlook Search[Script Filter] Script with argv 'rober' finished

[18:28:31.443] ERROR: Outlook Search[Script Filter] Code 127: /Users/chrisv/Library/Caches/com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred/Workflow Scripts/ADF31A62-7AF4-4B1C-B858-1864BA29CBCB: line 4: python: command not found

i installed python 

image.png.777f013975d60f5d8520fbddc4303ae0.png

I have Outlook setup as old view as well

Still the same error is it the wrong python. version to run. It also stated i was missing cpickle

Edited by cvallera
  • 2 months later...

Great workflow. Sticking to classic outlook for this workflow only!

Is it possible to update this workflow to

1. More nested "from:   subject: " search from Alfred itself.

2. Search or open Smart Folders within outlook

3. Fuzzy type of search of outlook items

Is the developer of this workflow still active? Many thanks in advance

olkc filter {SQL like filter}

It allows to set a SQL like filter for Subject, with '%' support fuzzy matching, for example:

• '%test' to filter all Subjects end with 'test'
  • 'test%' to filter all Subjects start with 'test'
  • '%test%' to filter all Subject contain 'test'
  • (Limitation: only allow one filter in current version)

How is this supposed to be used? How to remove filter?

• 2 weeks later...

a first, partial, Python3 fork of this Workflow is here. I don't use multiple profiles or folder-restricted search so I haven't spent time migrating the olkc section.

I posted what I am using in case it is helpful to others. 

Edited by giovanni
5 hours ago, giovanni said:

a first, partial, Python3 fork of this Workflow is here. I don't use multiple profiles or folder-restricted search so I haven't spent time migrating the olkc section.

Thank you. I will test and provide feedback. Pls see how one can go to Smart Folders in Outlook. I couldn't find it in dictionary or any AppleScript example for it.

3 hours ago, pankajsz said:

Thank you. I will test and provide feedback. Pls see how one can go to Smart Folders in Outlook. I couldn't find it in dictionary or any AppleScript example for it.

Works good with testing so far. Even olkc seems to be working fine. It will be great if this workflow can be enhanced:

1. Raw query search - multiple searches such as from: and subject: together

2. Ability to go to Smart Folders if feasible 

3. Go to unread emails

4. Additional action to open reply for selected message

18 hours ago, pankajsz said:

Works good with testing so far. Even olkc seems to be working fine. It will be great if this workflow can be enhanced:

1. Raw query search - multiple searches such as from: and subject: together

2. Ability to go to Smart Folders if feasible 

Perhaps this would be helpful for raw query

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office/client-developer/outlook/pia/how-to-use-instant-search-to-search-all-folders-and-all-stores-for-a-phrase-in-the-subject?redirectedfrom=MSDN

• 3 months later...
On 6/28/2022 at 2:52 AM, giovanni said:

@giovanni Few questions and request for your kind consideration:

1. I often search for name of colleague and would like to use customize keyword "olk from:" to olf name. How can I do this?  

2. How to do more complex search? Currently I can't search by name  and subject both. or for multiple items such as "olk item1 item2". Can this be enhanced?

3. Smart folders in macOS and then use of workflow to bring them them is great. How can I store some of above searches to repeat them?

regards,

• 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...