The State of Alfred Remote app

• 3 months later...
5 hours ago, jungledev said:

I'm interested in helping out with development

Then suggest some cool new features. That's our role in Alfred's development.

Speaking from my own experience, if you come up with a good idea that improves Alfred (and is compatible with its guiding philosophy), it's likely Andrew will implement it. He, more than any of us, wants Alfred to be as good as it can be.

5 hours ago, jungledev said:

would love to see an update either way

Not to be rude, but that's not a particularly meaningful statement. What specifically would you like the update to contain?

16 hours ago, jungledev said:

would love to see an update either way.  

As Andrew said, there are plans for the future of Remote, however, because it's been such a stable, bug-free app, there's been no need for a release. Many companies put out updates almost weekly, purely because they're fixing bugs constantly.

Alfred Remote gets new actions and objects added via Alfred itself, so the Remote app doesn't need to be updated. 

Taking a look at your details (visible to admins only), it doesn't appear that you're a Powerpack user; This is the first step to taking advantage of Remote! You can then trigger your own workflows and do so much more with your Remote. :) If you are a Powerpack user, please fill in your details in your forum profile, and we'll be able to suggest some more ways you can take advantage of Remote.

Cheers,
Vero

• 3 weeks later...

I'm really glad to hear this as I deleted Alfred Remote from my iOS devices because I mistakenly believed it wasn't under active development. Kudos to the team for keeping it bug free. It has given me no troubles through several iterations of iOS. I just thought it was abandonware. I was wrong. Redownloading now. :-)

• 5 months later...

I would like Alfred remote to be able to interact with Siri.  

It would be great if it were able to

1. expose Siri commands to e.g. my HomePod
  2. interact with preset options in workflows

I am aware there are many things that can be done with workflow/shortcuts interacting with Siri, but I can see a range of possibilities to run commands and services from a Mac, when initiated from a phone.

as one use case

• Homepod’s can play music directly, but not the radio
  • I can stream radio from my phone to the HomePod (and automate that) - but the phone stays in my pocket and whenever I walk out of range, say into the garden it disconnects.
  • Alfred workflows already exist for Airfoil and Radio
  • I’ve been playing radio happily from my Mac to the HomePod
  • Just practicing my workflow editing “skills” right now...

I imagine there are many other scenarios where a fixed location Mac could contribute valuably to HomePod or AppleTV or other airplay device when coupled with Siri enriched with Alfred workflows

Edited by JohnG
  • 2 months later...
20 hours ago, BuffaloJohn said:

I have a question about version 2... if I buy version 1 now will be upgraded to version 2 free? If I will need to pay again what is the expected

release of version 2?

As Vero noted above, Alfred Remote gets new features via Alfred, not via updates to Alfred Remote. There hasn't been a new release in 3 years (hasn't been a need for one), so I'd say the chances of an entirely new version appearing any time soon are very, very low.

Thank you but...

she also said: "As Andrew said, there are plans for the future of Remote, however, because it's been such a stable, bug-free app, there's been no need for a release. Many companies put out updates almost weekly, purely because they're fixing bugs constantly."

Andrew said:

"Alfred Remote will be receiving a big "Version 2" update, I'm already planning the feature set and improvements."

This question was really meant for staff who know what is going on with the development of Alfred Remote 2. The most recent comment on the topic is from July of 2018. I didn't want to buy version 1 and have version 2 released in 2 months and have to pay again. That would irritate me...

Edited by BuffaloJohn
  • 6 months later...

Andrew,

I use Alfred Remote every day and I was wondering if there is any update on when Alfred Remote Version 2 will be out?

I am very interested and hoping it integrates more tightly with iOS.  Looking for features like Siri and Shortcut support and

an option to Connect to Alfred via Direct and Bonjour from the same device.  Thx 

• 4 weeks later...

Just chiming in here that I was on the fence as to whether to download the app and decided that, after reading this thread, I'd go ahead and give it a try.

As a (not new, but newly engaged) Powerpack user, I'm Looking forward to seeing how I can further improve my productivity with the App.

Suggestions for encouraging more people to download the Remote App...

Release regular updates (every 3-6 months maybe?)... they don't need to be substantive, just something piecemeal and/or cosmetic to keep it looking relevant.

At a minimum, update the description to talk about Alfred 3/4 -- it will help persuade those, like myself, who see "Updated 4 years ago" and immediately say "well, that's going to be useless" from dismissing it outright.

• 1 month later...
On 3/26/2018 at 12:10 PM, Andrew said:

Alfred Remote will be receiving a big "Version 2" update, I'm already planning the feature set and improvements.

It's also worth noting that we've been adding features to Alfred Remote through added objects within Alfred itself, so while Alfred Remote hasn't had a core update, it has had new abilities added over the past few years.

Cheers,

Andrew

It has been almost 2 years this since was first discussed and I have not seen anything on expected release time frame.  With all the changes in IOS an update is much needed.  I would rather pay for the update and get it sooner than later.  

Edited by mikedvzo
spelling
  • 3 months later...

Hi, I would vote for an update as well. Here is a use case for me: I want to have an nfc tag that would put all of my devices to Do Not disturb mode at once. I think it is something many of us need, I.e. focus time. 

so I can have an iOS shortcut triggered by nfc tag. I’ve already created a dnd workflow on my Mac which I can trigger from Alfred remote. However, without More feature packed x callback or direct integration with iOS shortcuts I can’t connect the two. I can’t trigger remote dnd workflow from iOS shortcut that will enable dnd on iOS itself 

Edited by mishamsk
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, HRD said:

As the above hasn't received a response I will assume the App has been abandoned.

You are assuming wrong. Lack of response on a release date is in no way confirmation that it’s not being worked on.

Alfred’s team is small—two people, and only one codes the apps. The answer you should assume to the question “when will anything be released” is “when it’s ready”. Software release announcements are notorious for missing the deadline; announcing a date for a free upgrade would be all downside, no upside.

Edited by vitor
1 hour ago, cesarzea said:

and with problems

What problems? From a cursory glance at this forum I only see feature requests for the Remote, no bug reports. If you have an issue, please report it so it can be looked at and fixed.

1 hour ago, cesarzea said:

Last version is from 4 years ago. How many years has to have an application with no new versions (…) to be considerered abandoned? More than 4 years?

The developer is the one who defines an app as abandoned, not the user, because it’s them who know if they’re still working on it or not. Time passed has no bearing on it at all. The app still works on the latest version of iOS, the latest version of macOS, and the latest version of Alfred, just like it did the last time it was updated.

The app doesn’t need an upgrade, you want an upgrade. Which is fine, but it doesn’t give you any credence in calling it abandoned because it hasn’t been upgraded in some arbitrary time frame. Whether it’s abandoned or not is not your call to make.

All this rhetoric is totally unnecessary as there are no problems in the App and it works beautifully.  However, all of this can be dispelled with a simple answer of whether we can expect an update in 6 months, 1 year, 2 years etc..... Just a rough guideline since there has been no feedback on this for a very long time - over a year now.  

As I have stated in the past, I would like to see a new updated version for the iPhone with the latest iOS features but understand that Andrew has to allocate his time appropriately.  I personally am willing to pay for such an update.  

Edited by mikedvzo
spelling