How do I call for the "iCloud Drive" folder?

Hi,

How can I call up the iCloud Drive?  For example, if I type in `dropbox` in Alfred, the search results will include `~/Dropbox`.  I would like a search for `icloud drive` to return a result for `~/Library/Mobile Documents` (afaik that is where the iCloud Drive is located).

Thanks

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

@MrAu,

Here's my humble offering, which may be no better or no worse than any others.  The workflow is downloadable here and will available for the next 30 days at which point the link expires.

Here's a screenshot of the workflow:

1210979445_ScreenShot2018-09-16at10_36_20.jpg.162911883b70574165bae270998043fb.jpg

As you can see, it's very straightforward, so not much can go wrong.

5 minutes ago, CJK said:

available for the next 30 days at which point the link expires

Can you not upload your workflow somewhere more permanent?

Expired links are an ongoing problem on the forum.

Folks with the same problem/question come along later, find just the thing they're looking for, but it's gone because whoever posted it only uploaded it to some transitory service.

10 hours ago, deanishe said:

Can you not upload your workflow somewhere more permanent?

I'll endeavour to sort something out for future contributions, however all of my current cloud storage solutions are also set to sync with my local laptop hard drive.  This means any workflow I share through these would need to remain there and also on my hard drive, as a duplicate of the one that already exists (the original).

May I ask how you manage this situation for yourself ?

The other issue with cloud storage solutions is that links can break easily simply by renaming or moving a file when one reorganises.  So I imagine that's another issue for the Alfred forum even for seemingly "permanent" links.

I wonder if there's a superior solution that bypasses the need for links and cloud storage.  Perhaps along the lines of encoding the workflow file in base64 and pasting the output on the Alfred forum as text (but ideally with a more user-friendly wrapper for those who wouldn't feel able to decode base64, not to mention the absurd-looking forum posts we'd start seeing).

I rrrrrrreally wish the Alfred forum was a Discourse forum.

2 minutes ago, CJK said:

May I ask how you manage this situation for yourself ?

For "one-shots" like this, I just dump them in a folder on my webserver and delete the original.

Vítor has an arguably more sensible solution: a repo for requested workflows.

4 minutes ago, CJK said:

encoding the workflow file in base64 and pasting the output on the Alfred forum as text

I wouldn't call that a superior solution, tbh. Easier for the creator perhaps, but sucks for everyone else compared to just clicking on a link.

I also wouldn't trust any more data to Invision's shabby forum software than I have to.

11 minutes ago, deanishe said:

I wouldn't call that a superior solution, tbh. Easier for the creator perhaps, but sucks for everyone else compared to just clicking on a link.

I was just brainstorming out loud.  I wasn't suggesting that as an actual final solution.  But when I mentioned a wrapper of some sort, I just remembered that there's a site called https://itty.bitty.site that does something along these lines.  I actually used them for my homepage since I have no hosting space.

Basically, it encodes and decodes a webpage up to the length of about 2000KB into a URL, which then circumvents the need to have small web pages hosted at all.

But, anyway, this is a digression.  I'll have a look at vitor's repo, cheers for the link...

EDIT:

...which I've now done.  It's a good interim solution for sure.  I'll do that from now on.  Thanks for pointing me there.

Edited by CJK